What's new

Anyone own a Denon 910? (1 Viewer)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Just got one. Prognosis: pretty good!

Great video quality. Nice, sharp, detailed picture, unlike the older 900. Great deinterlacing - rock solid picture. Yay! Also, stuff like CSI: Season 2 that used to comb like crazy on my older dvd players is fine.

Dead quiet drive mechanism. My previous players have had some noise so this was a huge relief for me.

Drawbacks: No aspect ratio control. But I'll live with that. The Mitsubishi DD8040 has aspect ratio control, but I'm scared to death of buying a product down in the States only to have it die on me here in Canada.

Pat_C

Agent
I picked one up -- no problems. I like it a lot; but then again I was using a PS2 for DVDs.

Everett A

Agent
I just got a 910, from a store with a good return policy in case I noticed any of the problems reported with the 900. Everything looks excellent so far, no jitter.

I had a Toshiba 1200 before, then tried the jvc n44 or whatever it's called (terrible with the jerky pans and motion), and this Denon is a very noticeable improvement.

I notice the main difference in the detail that you can see in various levels of black in the video. Where with the other players, a dark area was just a dark area, with the Denon, you can see all sorts of detail for the first time.

Also, I can really notice more details like the little hairs on people's arms, and even dust floating around (lit up by background light) the scene, which didn't come through the same way with other players.

As you can see, I'm very happy with this player.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
Where did you buy it and for how much?

Looks like most of the reputable online retailers are out of stock on the 910. Overstock.com has them, but they are refurbished, for ~$260 inc. shipping ... well for that price I'll order from Crutchfield for $299/free shipping ...

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I ordered my Denon 910 from Crutchfield. I wanted to get it somewhere with a good return policy. I can't find it locally. I used a $20 off coupon for using a mastercard. Search google for the $20 off coupon, I think it's good till the end of the month.

I've used the 910 for a week on a 27" TV so I can't comment much on picture quality. Right now I'm waiting for the delivery truck to show up with my Hitachi 51S700 RPTV. I can't wait to get the TV and this player hooked up to try it out.

I hope the player is a keeper since the next step up is over $200 more. The 910 is already about the max I wanted to spend on a DVD player.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
$20 coupon - click here -> http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rmc1cagb/index.html

If that doesn't work, go to mastercard.com and search for "Crutchfield". Then click thru the link there.

Details:

Your Special Offer is $20 off any order over $100!

In order to qualify for the $20.00 off for the MasterCard promotion, the order must be placed directly from the MasterCard website.
Not applicable on Bose products, Kicker products, Monster Cable products, Polk Audio home speakers, iPods, Tivoli Audio products, TVs, items marked "Call for Price", "Price Break", "Instant Rebate", Crutchfield package discount offers, "Scratch and Dent", or "Outlet" items.
This promotion may not be combined with any other Crutchfield offer.
This offer cannot be used to purchase gift certificates.
You'll see the savings reflected in your 2nd order confirmation e-mail.
Expires 12/31/03.

Hurry, expires at end of year! Ordered my Denon 910 for $279 total shipped. WOot.

NateB

Auditioning
I'm using the DVD-910 with my Sony KV-34XBR910 and I am seeing the jitter problems with component jacks and the player set to progressive mode. I've been pleased with everything else about the player, though.

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I'm thinking of returning my 910. It will not pass blacker-than-black no matter what I do. It doesn't matter what display it's hooked up to, or whether it's in interlaced or progressive mode. The progressive picture is good and definitely better than two Toshibas I have. The Toshibas pass blacker-than-black on any display but they have plenty of other problems. I can't get it calibrated correctly because of the poor black levels. The secrets folks said it passed and I've read others that said theirs passed.

This dissapoints me along with the really cheap build. It just doesn't seem very high quality at all. Probably not worth the price tag. I also had DTS dropouts and stutters if I skipped any chapters, no problems with other players.

I'm considering moving up to a Denon 2200 but that is really alot of money. I spent less on my receiver and I'm very happy with it, a Harman Kardon AVR325.

Does anyone know if the 2200 picture quality will meet or beat the 910? I'm mainly concerned with picture quality, the audio side is just a novelty right now.

Maybe I got a bad unit. Does anyone else's 910 pass the blacker-than-black test? I used the pluge patter in DVE. The third line never shows up. I even changed the black level enhancement on and off.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Did you go into the Denon DVD-910 setup menu and set the BLACK LEVEL to off? The default is on and that is not correct for black level on component video.

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I set the black level to off. It didn't help at all. I think I'm going return the 910 for a 2200.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does anyone know if the 2200 picture quality will meet or beat the 910?
The PQ of the 2200 is definitely better than the 910. I had jitter problems with my 910, so I returned it for the 2200. I had no problems calibrating the 910 or 2200, but I was not very impressed with the 910.

Pat_C

Agent
I have no idea what the black test is. I guess I should find out though -- anyone care to explain? I suppose I should set my 910 Black level to off?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes set the black level to off, it should produce a darker picture that is correct setting for component video output.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Even with the black level set to off, the player will still not pass blacker than black.

I just got a 910 to replace a Sony NS725P that I impulse bought with my new TV (Panny 53WX53). Granted, I can clearly see the benefits of the Faroudja chipset, but I don't think I can see an improvement worth the $300 (I think my monitor is the weak link in the chain, not the player...) I figure that the only thing that might overcome my monitor's shortcomings is to find something with DVI output - meaning the Samsung 931 or Bravo D1/D2.

I also have the jitter and color flicker issues noted elsewhere and I'm not a big fan of the Denon's reaction time to remote commands, either. I plan on running some A-B tests tonight, but I'm pretty sure the Denon is going back this weekend.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon 910 has major CUE problems, in interlaced mode. I haven't had the chance to try progressive but who cares, my 5 year old Toshiba doesn't have any CUE, so it's going back on the rack and the Denon is going back to the store!

The Denon is also very cheap build quality. The tray is pathetic and I almost pushed in (bent) the back panel pushing on the interconnects with normal force. I sort of expected that from the $75 player I tried (which also went back to the store with CUE problems) but not from a $300 Denon. Cheap, major CUE, Joe Bob says don't bother with this one folks. Shame...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks