What's new

Anyone know the status of Series 7: The Contenders on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Guys,
Let's chill, it's only a movie!:) Also, debating the merits of a film is an everyday occurrence on HTF but perhaps it would be best done in the Movies section of the forum. I haven't heard of this movie so a continuing discussion regarding it would be enlightening to me as well as to some other members. Furthermore, spirited discussion doesn't have to be confrontational unless the discussion participants want it to be so which in reality is nothing more than a waste of emotion in my estimation.
Crawdaddy

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I rented this the other day the overall quality of this package was very good, with a good transfer, considering the source material, decent audio and a nice array of extras.

When I finished watching the movie I liked it, but the more I thought about it, the more I disliked it. It just doesn't feel as shocking as the director obviously intended it to be. I know its a satire but maybe it was just the premise that was to ridiculous to even consider as being remotely a reality TV program. I tend to agree mostly with Roger Ebert's review of this especially when he says "But the movie has one joke and tells it too often, for too long."

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Man, I can't find one easter egg. I know I'm suppsoe to be looking for the Contenders crosshair, but I just don't see one.:frowning:

Christopher D

Second Unit
I second that. Can anyone tell where the Easter Egg is? Is it worthwhile?

Nice disc -- liked the movie. Did anyone catch an explanation of why what looks like a deleted ending (in the parking lot) was not used in favor of the "dramatic recreation"?

Dustin D

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the explanation is in the lead actress's bio. It's a sound recording, which is pretty cool.

The ending goes much better with the movie than if you saw the deleted scene instead. The whole movie is told from the perspective of someone watching the show. The dramatic re-enactment maintains the violent nature of the film, without showing the audience the true depths they've sunk to. You're supposed to feel manipulated and tricked by the ending, with the sneaking suspicion that something was done to the Contenders that was far different than that re-enactment. Also, it shows a good discontinuity with the end scene.

When the champion is seen at the end, he's covered in cuts and bruises. If he did just shot himself in the head, why all the additional injuries?

In much the way reality TV manipulates audiences today, this movie does the same to its audience. I find it quite a clever ending.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Interesting -- thanks. I hate it when a key moment comes up in a film and the director is babbling on about something else in the commentary.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I think this is another of those discs that got spotty distribution. DVD Empire has it; Deep Discount doesn't; I have yet to see it in a B&M (not that I've looked too hard).

On an odd note, Blockbuster had it for rental on the release date. I'm glad they did because I certainly enjoyed watching this one and may get around to buying it.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
I just got my Series 7 DVD, the Canadian version (Alliance).
Every DVD store showed this picture as the cover for the DVD:
90008947.jpg

But thats not the way MY cover looks like? Mine is bluish with lady pointing a gun at me and there is a yellow 'Marathon Edition' banner across the top.
I don't mind the different cover, but is the content/cut different too?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Mine is bluish with lady pointing a gun at me and there is a yellow 'Marathon Edition' banner across the top.
That's the cover for the U.S. edition too. The "Real People in Real Danger" image looks like the theatrical one-sheet, which came in 6 or 7 versions, each with a different slogan (e.g., "If You Can Read This, You May Be Chosen", "The Standings Are in the Obituaries").

M.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
The Canadian that I've seen has a lady with a gun in her hand kinda yelling. Different versions of just different covers?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I cant even find websites that have info on the easter eggs.I'm tired of hunting.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I finally had a chance to watch this last night. Great transfer; looks like it came directly from the digital video, without any intermediate analog stage. Colors and detail were much stronger than the film print I saw theatrically.
I didn't find any easter eggs, but to further address the ending (do not read further if you haven't seen the film):
When the champion is seen at the end, he's covered in cuts and bruises. If he did just shot himself in the head, why all the additional injuries?
I agree with Dustin D that this ending fits better with the film as a whole. The original ending in the deleted scenes was something of a throwaway.
M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
All I could find was a Full Frame version. Or was the movie done that way (Since it's a TV-Based thing)
It was shown in theaters at 1.85:1. My copy is the same AR, anamorphically enhanced for widescreen TVs. (The back of the box says "WIDESCREEN 16:9", so the disc's AR may be closer to 1.78:1.)

M.

Butch C

Second Unit
STAY AWAY FROM THIS CRAPPY MOVIE...IT STINKS

It could have been sooooooooo good.

I have no idea how you can make a fake reality show about people hunting each other down and make IT BORING!!!!!

BTW...if the lottery was random...how were all the contestants from the same town?

Oh and for the people who loved the movie...did you believe for one second that if you were on that show you wouldnt have wiped those other contestants out in a heartbeat.

Sorry for commenting on the movie in the dvd section.

(???)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks