Anyone know the status of Series 7: The Contenders on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug R, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

DVD Planet has this listed on 12/18, DVD Empire on 12/23 (huh?) and Amazon not at all.

It was originally scheduled for September or so but got bumped big time. Anyone have a clue?

thanks!

2. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Last I heard, it is still scheduled for 12/18.

3. Kevin Clemons

Kevin Clemons Stunt Coordinator

The sooner the better in my opinion. This flick is a hidden gem, a must for anyone who loves their comedies dark.

Kevin

4. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Thanks!

Missed it in the theaters and looked like something I'd enjoy.

5. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Yeah, Ive been waiting for this for almost a year now. Series7 didnt come out in my city. Ugh, gotta wait for it on dvd.

I thought it was supposted to come out a while ago?

6. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

"Series 7" was in the theater for perhaps a week. I never got a chance to see it; sounds like a very timely dark comedy.

In the current television climate ("Temptation Survivor Mole et al.") it's especially fitting.

Joseph

7. Edwin_M

Edwin_M Agent

I've seen on several websites that Series 7: The Contenders is going to come out tomorrow, has anybody gotten the disc or do they know if it's still on track for tomorrow? I haven't seen an early review anywhere.

8. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

Hey Edwin,
    Here's our look at the disc here
    It's an Alliance Atlantis release (Canada only) and will street this Tuesday. (Dec 18)
    I don't see any info anywhere about an American release as yet. Anyone else can help Edwin on that?

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Saw some in the local CC today, that's all I know. The only reason that I even noticed them was because I remember seeing posts here.

10. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

As I think I was one of 12 people to see this theatrically, I picked this up today and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this SE, which was produced by Mark Rance and his Three-Legged Cat operation (he did Boogie Nights, Detroit Rock City and other great DVDs).

The movie looks great and the extras are terrific, particularly a "filmography" section which has all of the cast and the main crew (ranging from director Daniel Minahan to Eli Janney of Girls Against Boys, who did the terrific score) talking instead of just text screens. It's interesting and much more involving than just basic info and film listings. There are a bunch of deleted scenes and, for the Steve Tannehills of the world, a sticker on the front advertising easter eggs (of which I found just one). The picture -- which I assumed would be full-frame because of the "TV" parody nature of the story -- is a very nice 16x9 transfer, particularly given that it was all shot digitally.

A terrific satire for these reality-TV oversaturated times and a really solid DVD. Can't believe that it took nearly 9 months for USA to release this on DVD (and hurry up with Lost Highway and Session 9 already!) but am very pleased with the results.

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

12. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Nobody around my area had the film on DVD to rent so I had to settle for crappy VHS. VERY cool flick!
    www.dvdempire.com has it for sale now if anybody's interested.

13. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

I got it yesterday at Borders. Freakin' AWESOME film!

I'm going to have a review of it up soon at my site.

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I think this is another of those discs that got spotty distribution. DVD Empire has it; Deep Discount doesn't; I have yet to see it in a B&M (not that I've looked too hard).

Copies should trickle in over the next week or so. It's not exactly a high-profile title, even though it's a great little film.

M.

15. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

It's available in Canada for sale and rent. I rented series 7 at my local blockbuster. Intruiging premise, interesting film, ultimately disappointing. Sort of Survivor meets America's Most Wanted meets Days of our Lives.

There's an essential problem parodying reality based programming like survivor. The only thing interesting about a series like that is that we're viewing real people dealing with a situation. Once you place actors in a similar circumstance, the interest vanishes. The film starts off well enough, but by the end becomes a mawkish soap opera and truly silly. Also, the filmmakers fail to provide any type of social context for how such a program which has the paricipants engaging in a deadly battle of last man standing could actually exist. Even mediocre hollywood film fare such as "The Running Man", provides a background on which to play out.

Worth a rental, but people expecting a dark satire on the state of violence in america would do bettter to look elsewhere. Apparently shot on video, the transter is sharp and anamorphic widescreen. Some interesting extras, there's a section on how this film developed from a sundance film's director's project.

16. Michael Reuben

17. Peter Manojlovich

I wonder why people feel this need to engage in a point-counterpoint routine, somehow hoping to refute an opinion that differs from their own. Isn't it just sufficient to state that you don't agree and that the film had a markedly different impact on you, rather than engage in some artificial debate.

18. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

This was a great film! I was lucky enough to catch it at the local indie theater earlier this year, and Im thinking about picking the DVD up as well.

It was also the first time I saw the preview for "Amores Perros" which turned out to be extremely awesome!

19. Michael Reuben

Peter, if you don't want anyone to comment on your movie observations, I suggest not posting them in a public forum.

M.

20. Peter Manojlovich

Michael, I don't believe this forum is an appropriate place to debate the merits of a film. Second, I find your methods to be deliberately confrontational, begging for a response in return. This will ultimately degenerate into a series of last word freak posts. Your analysis of the film is no more "correct" than mine or anyone else's, so I find your supposition on what this film is purportedly about to be self-serving.