What's new

Anyone Into Double Edge Shaving? (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Three weeks in and I am officially done with my Mach 3. I even took it out of the shower. I used to get ingrown hairs and I haven't had one in the past three weeks.

I'm using a Bluebird blade now, pretty good. I still think I liked the Astra the best, but that could be an effect of being my first blade on my first DE shave.

Has anyone reading this thread converted due to what you have read here?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
This thread prompted me to officially give it another try. I am now 100% converted.

The secret for me was finding a blade I like, and that blade is the Rapira. Super amazing feather sharp but ridiculously smooth. Also only $16/100 blades on amazon :)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So this week I tried a Derby blade and a Feather. The Derby was eh and the Feather was super sharp but I didn't slice my face to ribbons like the reviews said I would. Just one nick and that was probably due to technique. Going to try the second Astra that came in my sampler again to see if I like it as much as I did the first shave. If so, I think that will be the one.

Another plus of DE shaving is that I can shave every day. With the mach 3 I need to wait at least a day for my face to heal. Also, if I go 3+ days over the weekend the DE mows through my heavy growth where the mach 3 would take forever to get through.

I am also down to 2 passes. One with the grain, lather again then one against the grain. I didn't feel that the across the grain pass added anything.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I still find it very tricky between nose and mouth, so I sort of cheat with an electric razor. But DE can't be beat for a clean pass around the neck and chin.

^_^

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It is tricky but I think I've manged to find a way to shave my mustache area. With my mach 3 I had to use my Sensor double blade razor to shave that area, so I was using 2. Now I can use the DE for everything.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It's settled - for me my blade is Astra. Shaved with a new one in the sampler and it was just as good as the first time I used an Astra. Off to Amazon to order them in bulk.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I have not tried a Rapira. I couldn't find quantities of less than 100 although I didn't search to hard.

P

Patrick Donahue

2 tips I can give an inexperienced DE shaver:

1) Applying too much pressure is how you get irritation. A good way to combat this is to hold your razor with only your fingertips. That way you literally can't apply too much pressure or the razor will slip out of your hand.

2) Don't be obsessed with the idea of a baby butt smooth shave. There is no point to one. When was the last time someone ran their hand up your face within a few hours of shaving? The only important things are how you look and how it feels to you. I do one pass with the grain and one pass across, never against. You have to remember a BBS shave cuts the hair below the skin, and that causes ingrowns and irritation.

The best razor you can try? A Merkur slant. Everybody should try a slant...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Almost done with my old bag o' Mach 3s. . .one of those inexpensive Van Der Hagens might be in my near future. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I broke out my Merkur and Derby blades this morning. I'm a little rusty using it, but may switch back after I use up my backlog of Dollar Shave Club cartridges.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Cam, a co-worker this morning told me that he gave DE shaving a try, but then switched to the Dollar Shave Club. Are you heading in the opposite direction?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think so, though you can buy the DSC cartridges in bulk direct from their supplier, Dorco.

I'm happy with the DSC product and service, but even at every other month delivery it's hard for me to get through a set of four cartridges since I have a Van Dyke (goatee) beard that really just has me grooming my jawline and neck. Even then, I don't shave every day.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I do like Dorco for cartridge razors, but there's no comparison to DE at the end of the day for me in terms of irritation. It's more of a time issue. I'm at the point now, with the Rapira blades that I can do a comfortable 2 pass shave in about 10 minutes.

That's well worth it.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I'll confess I have Dorco on standby when I'm in a hurry or just lazy--or want to fuss with a tricky area, But nothing beats the DE experience and feeling, and it's certainly here to stay.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Was in Costco yesterday for groceries. . .and came home with a new Norelco. :) Who am I kidding; I barely have enough time to eat breakfast in the morning as it is! With the Norelco, I can hit the snooze button and shave in bed with my eyes closed. That cuts my shower time in half!

I think I will still get a DE for the weekends, though. The idea has momentum. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks