What's new

Anyone Into Double Edge Shaving? (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Nice!

Are you supposed to shave in multiple directions with a DE razor? As mentioned upthread, with a cartridge razor, shaving in both directions makes your face as smooth as a baby's tuchus (temporarily) but over time it irritates the hell out of your skin.

From what I've read, to get the BBS shave (Baby Bottom) most do one pass with the grain - WTG, one pass across the grain - XTG and one pass ATG lathering between each pass.

With the mach 3 I shaved against the grain, it wouldn't cut my beard at all with the grain.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
MarkMel said:
The first shave is in the books! I don't know why I waited so long.

I shaved in the shower using an Astra Platinum blade and Edge Gel.

• the lined handle of the Edwin Jagger DE89L was not slippery at all
  • it was much easier to shave with then I was anticipating
  • I shaved with the grain, across the grain and against the grain
  • unprompted, my wife noticed the difference immediately, she said my skin didn't look all angry like it did after shaving with the mach 3. This is big because she is so tired of me talking about DE razors - lol
  • Some people say it takes longer with a DE, honestly it was maybe 5 minutes longer and most of that was due to me worrying about slashing myself.
  • zero nicks or cuts
I know people are going to be sick of me talking about this but I am going to recommend DE shaving to every guy I know. There are far too many benefits to not be shaving this way.

I like seeing this kind of detailed report, especially its positive tone.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I don't shave in the shower, but the Merkur 180 has a grooved handle and should work well in the shower. The Edwin Jagger razor which is pictured a few posts back also looks to be very good.

There is a slight learning curve for people who haven't used a safety razor before, but I can't remember the last time I nicked myself.

Another advantage of double-edged razors is that they are easy to clean after using, unlike the double and triple-edge razors which get hair trapped between the blades.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I have both cartridge and DE razors, but I consistently struggle to shave my neck using a DE. It's just so sensitive and prone to cuts. I suppose I just need more training :).

I will say that I do love using a good shaving cream and brush.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After trying many things, I have basically resigned myself to never getting my neck to be as smooth as my jaw or cheeks. Trying is ultimately too painful.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I tried again yesterday with a new "Feather" blade. I was able to get bbs on the cheeks, but my neck got cut up terribly. There must be a solution!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I am far from an expert but have you tried the Astra blades? From what I've read the Feather blades are very aggressive and a lot of people experience what you are on your neck.

Also I have read to do three passes lathering again after each; with the grain, across the grain and against the grain. Some skip against the grain. Also, try using lighter pressure.

I've got three shaves under my belt so far and I'm not going back. My only problem is I bought a blade sample pack and I think I already found my brand. I'll try some of the others though. I'm saving the feathers for last.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dave Upton said:
I tried again yesterday with a new "Feather" blade. I was able to get bbs on the cheeks, but my neck got cut up terribly. There must be a solution!
following the other poster here...

You might need two DE razors.

Use a very laid back razor, with a super sharp blade on your neck. Unless...you've already gone laid back.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It's apparently a matter of many factors, the image below is stolen shamelessly from the amazing people over at badgerandblade: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

razor-aggressiveness.png

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aaron Silverman said:
What defines a "laid back" razor?
Speaking of "the list", the Goodfella is renowned for being a great "first time user DE".

A laid back DE gets about 90% as clean as a full on aggressive.

But, if you go straight to a Muhle 41, have a roll of toilet paper on standby...

Essentially it boils down to the gap allowed at the blade. Wider the gap, the closer you can get to the ideal 45° angle. 45° takes shit loads of practice. Less aggressive allows only as much as 33°. Much more forgiving.

And no, my 33 and 45 may not be correct, but it has been years since I looked it up. And some blades will have different angles themselves.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Trying my second brand of blade, a Lord. I do not like it as much as the Astra Platinums. Feels like I have to use more pressure.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Anyone have any favorite shaving creams/brands? Truefitt & Hills West Indies Lime is a current favorite. Very invigorating.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So I did not like the Lord blade, the sample pack came with 3 different types of Lord blades. I may try the others at some point.

The one I used did not seem sharp enough and I had to use more pressure to get through my beard.

I tried a Shark today. That seemed to work well - I think as good as the Astra.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I quite like the Astra Platinum on my EJ DE89LBL, but I am going to be trying feather blades soon, as I feel like my neck really needs a sharp blade to allow the minimal pressure that would reduce irritation.

I've managed to get my cheeks and jawline flawlessly BBS now for a few shaves now, but the neck remains a struggle.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I too will be trying the feather that came in the sample pack soon. Working my way up to it.

Some have said that it will cut you but tons of reviews on amazon say otherwise. They say it's not to be feared.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks