What's new

Anyone heard any news/rumors about "Barton Fink" and "Miller's Crossing"? (1 Viewer)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Anyone have an idea if this will make it to DVD anytime soon? Millers Crossing is by far my most favorite Coen brothers film. Is there some kind of holdup? Or am I just being tortured for no reason?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This is my favorite film of the 90s. I have purchased it once on VHS and twice on laserdisc. I am looking forward to buying it again by the end of this year if Fox comes through. ;)
Regards,

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Out of desperation,2 weeks ago I bought a disgusting P&S VHS of this movie at Media Play(since expecting Blockbuster to have it in stock would be expecting too much of them):angry: :angry: :angry:
At least it was only $8

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If it's any consolation, Miller's Crossing is a pure open matte transfer in 4:3, so you can always make mattes for widescreen until the DVD comes out. :)
Regards,

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Well, I just got a free laserdisc player and Millers Crossing was on my list of LD's to seek out.
Am I to infer from this thread that a DVD has been announced?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
While there is no announcement yet, in last summer's chat, when the Coen films were brought up, Peter Staddon said
...We will release the three films ( re releasing Raising Arizona ) at some point, but we do not have a date yet. I would expect them by mid 2002.
These things can slip, obviously, but there is hope we will see them before the end of the year.

Regards,

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Meaning Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, and Miller's Crossing ??
What about Hudsucker Proxy? Rather see a re-release of that than Arizona.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Hudsucker Proxy is a Warner title. I thought the anamorphic widescreen transfer was pretty good on that one.

Regards,

EugeneR

Second Unit
The Digital Bits Rumor Mill Section a couple of months back had MILLER'S CROSSING coming out this year, but they didn't say when. I've been waiting for this movie for a long time. I've even avoided seeing it, so that I can see it properly when it finally comes out.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I only hope that a forthcoming DVD looks better than the WS LD, which is pretty washed-out; "Barton Fink," on the other hand, looks magnificent on the WS LD.

One of my favorite movies of all time.

"What's the rumpus?"

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Now that The Man Who Wasn't There is coming out on DVD (in less than two weeks), I realized that the only Coen Brothers movies missing from my collection were Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink.
Well, it's almost mid-2002 (or at least time for all mid-2002 release announcements to come out) and there is no news about Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink :frowning:

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I've been holding my breath for some time now as these 2 movies have been on Fox's DVD schedule for years. Everytime I watch Raising Arizona I have to see that frustrating ad saying that these 2 films are coming out on DVD. Well, you had your little fun Fox but I think it's time for me to exhale.

EugeneR

Second Unit
Last I saw it mentioned was in the Digital Bits' "Rumor Mill" section as coming out this year. Haven't heard anything since. Has anyone? This is my most anticipated title. :frowning:

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
It's been one of my most anticipated titles as well along with Barton Fink. Peter Staddon mentioned in the Fox chat last year that we should be seeing both Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink on DVD in mid-2002. If their plans haven't changed we should be hearing some news in the next couple of months.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
[sarcasm]The release of further Coen Brothers product on DVD is in flux due to ongoing commitments regarding future theatrical releases. Even though Joel & Ethan are offering no commentaries or "extras" they do wish to "tighten up" the extant filmography and remove some of your favorite dialogue. The music in those films needs some revamping also.[/sarcasm]
Jim
No, I'll never forgive them for throwing away Blood Simple.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
About a year ago, "Blood Simple" got a theatrical re-release. At the same time, it was revealed that the remainder of the Coen titles were being readied for release on DVD. Well, they've given us "Blood Simple", but where, oh where have "Miller's Crossing" and "Barton Fink" gone to? Anybody heard updates on the release of these two?

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
These are two of my most-wanted DVD's, particularly Miller's Crossing. It's been way too long since I've gotten to play the Miller's Crossing drinking game. Basically, you take a drink any time Tom gets hit, or any time somebody says "Jesus, Tom". Trust me, you'll have a hard time making it through the movie. We once added the "High Hat" and "Schmata" rules, and had to quit less than halfway through the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks