What's new

Anyone have The Who SACD? (1 Viewer)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Just wondering if I want to spend 22.99 on it or not. I have it on hold at Best Buy because they only have two and I got my customer appreciation coupon for 10% off:D (Also have one of two REM Document DVD-A that I am waiting for the weekend to get).
Thanks

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
There's been some discussion on it over at Steve Hoffman's forum. You may want to check there if no one chimes in here.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Mine has been shipped from Tower but I have yet to receive it in the mail. I will post my feelings on the disc once I get it in my hot little hands.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan Joy, my reply covers what Dan Stone and Justin said. The Who SACD has received some mixed opinions on Steve Hoffman's forum (www.stevehoffman.tv). Admittedly, some folks there have not heard the SACD but are simply expecting the worst based their feelings about the Deluxe Edition CD. My copy is on the way from www.towerrecords.com , and I'll post some comments as soon as possible. Note that I have no version of My Generation on CD for comparison.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I just ordered mine along with a couple of other things from www.cheap-cds.com. It is $23.36 including S&H. Their prices are good but their S&H is high and they have a ltd. selection but the bottom line cost was about the cheapest for that and also The Band "Music From Big Pink" DVD-A so I ordered a few other things as well.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
I went to Busted Buy 2-day to get a copy of BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING and could not resist grabbing a copy of The Who for $14.99. Keith, they've gone to putting out 3 copies of SACD's lately. The pricing may be a mistake? I'd think twice about paying more than I did. I'm listening to it right now. I got home late this eve because I went to the Rich Little show, actually...which was good!

I'm not listening to it on my best system but my first impression after only 6 cuts is that this disc's sonics are rather mediocre. I'll have to take it downstairs and put it in the truth machine to be sure. It sounds rather compressed to me. The sound doesn't seem to measure up to the the average Stones SACD or the magnificent sounding Zombies disc. Cut 7, THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT isn't doing anything to change my mind....:rolleyes

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, three copies?! Wow! ;) $14.99 looks to be incorrect for the SACD. That's what Best Buy charges for most of the other Universal SACDs (hybrids are $15.99), but everyone else seems to have My Generation for a bit more. In any event, my copy is on the way, but I am less excited about it based on what I have been reading. Hopefully everyone is wrong. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you're not a hardcore Who fan, this would probably be a pass. Personally as a hardcore Who fan I think "My Generation" is a rather weak effort. The Who took a few years to progress, in songwriting, style, and production value. They didn't just burt on the scene with excellence like The Beatles or (arguably) The Stones, they took a few years to get there. But by the time "Tommy" came out they proved that they could hang with the big boys. However, personally I don't really get a lot from the pre-Tommy stuff. (Though I once did when I was younger)

I'll stick with my old mono record of "My Generation", it suffices.

Instead of buying this album purely for the type of format that it's recorded on, pick up a copy of the underappreciated "The Who By Numbers".

NP: Ambrosia: Road Island

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I got it for $19.99 at Best Buy. It's better than the 2-CD set, but not hugely. It's less "squashed" and maybe a bit smoother. The low end isn't as aggressively EQed either, I think. The recording was pretty compressed to begin with (Talmy always cut stuff very "hot"), so it was never an audiophile's delight in any format.

Most people's complaints about the Deluxe Edition (and this SACD, since it's the same mix) centers around (no pun intended) the stereo mix that was done for this reissue. The consensus seems to be that instead of a straightforward stereo mix of the 3-track session tapes, Shel Talmy instead went for a reverb- and delay-heavy approach to make it sound more "modern" than otherwise possible (artifically spreading the vocals across the channels, for example).

Me, I don't mind it so much, but that's probably a a case of blissful ignorance more than anything else. :)

Ryan

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Well, I did take the disc downstairs to my stereo last night and it sounded better there. It sounds rather average for older albums on SACD IMO. I wouldn't pay $20+ for this album despite all the bonus material. I'm with Phillip in that The Who's best work came later. If it had been priced at $19.99 or more I would of walked past it. $23 dollars would definitely drive me towards spending my money elsewhere.

Yes Keith, 3 copies...SACD has hit the big-time!;)

I never had the comparable CD and I have not heard the vinyl version in atleast 30 years. So, I can't offer any points of reference there. My upstairs system, with Atlantic Technology speakers, that I initially listened to it on is wonderful for video but for music it's ho-humish.... Universal has issued some truly dreadful SACD's, Bon Jovi & Quincy Jones, this one is definitely considerably better than those dogs...

Dan B

Screenwriter
However, personally I don't really get a lot from the pre-Tommy stuff.
Well...personally, The Who Sell Out is one of my favorite albums of the sixties. And non-hardcore fans have a lot to like about My Generation, too. It was some of the hardest-rocking & loudest music of it's time, plus some of Pete's first attempts at writing songs are actually quite good. (My Generation & The Kids Are Alright for example)

Hell, I think this album is worth it just for the great-sounding version of I Can't Explain. :D There's plenty to make this album worth your time, IMO...hardcore fan or not.

-Dan
hardcore fan

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Yes, "I Can't Explain" is the standout for me as well. The tambourine is actually missing on this new stereo version, which might be why the drums are so much clearer, and why you can actually hear the piano.

Ryan

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I just finished listening to it. Did not compare it to anything since the Greatest Hits CD just has "My Generation" For mid-60s stuff the sound was excellent and for 91.5 minutes of music I don't find $20 that out of line, paticularly if one does not have most of the material.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Well I finally received my copy today and got a chance to give the disc a spin. The first thing that was apparent to me was the obvious age of the recording on this disc. For those looking to be wowed by great sonics found on many SACD look elsewhere because you will be disappointed with this release. The dynamic compression that was used on the original recordings is plainly evidenced here with lacking highs and low bass. That being said, the SACD is the best I have ever heard this recording (sorry, I am way too young to have been around when the original vinyl was released, so CD is my only comparison). For me the standout on the disc is the a capella version of Anytime You Want Me, which shows the strong points of DSD in reproducing the human voice.

My thoughts would be, that if you already own the deluxe CD or only have interest in a couple songs, it is not worth picking up the SACD unless you are a diehard Who fan. Of course if you don't own the deluxe CD, you can probably find the SACD for cheaper at this point, so picking it up is a no brainer.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin said:

Of course if you don't own the deluxe CD, you can probably find the SACD for cheaper at this point, so picking it up is a no brainer.
Excellent point. I have always felt that Universal's Deluxe Edition CDs are overpriced. Now, the CD versions are two-disc sets, while the My Generation SACD is just one disc, but I still feel the SACD sets are overpriced.

On a side note, I am bothered by Universal's inconsistency. With My Generation, Universal released the Deluxe Edition on SACD. With John Coltrane A Love Supreme, Universal released just the original album tracks. :frowning:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
On a side note, I am bothered by Universal's inconsistency. With My Generation, Universal released the Deluxe Edition on SACD. With John Coltrane A Love Supreme, Universal released just the original album tracks.
I wish they had some more consistency as well, but at least they are getting some material that is of interest to me in Hi-res. I know they also have done deluxe editions of material from Bob Marley (Legend, Rastaman Vibrations, Catch a Fire & Exodus) and The Velvet Underground (Velvet Underground & Nico). I would pick SACD from either of these artists in a heartbeat. I know Marley can sound better then the butcherings SIlverline has been putting out on DVD-A.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin said:

I wish they had some more consistency as well, but at least they are getting some material that is of interest to me in Hi-res.
Agreed. Beggars can't be choosers. All in all, I have to applaud Universal's efforts, as they have released several blockbuster titles on SACD in a relatively short period of time. More look to be on the way in March. :)

I have seen a few Deluxe Edition CD sets available from BMG. That could very well be my best way to get some cheap. I missed out Compact Disc World stores had the A Love Supreme Deluxe Edition for a mere $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks