What's new

Anyone have a good PICO DE GALLO or SALSA recipe? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I've seen many recipes on the web. Most of the Pico de Gallo recipes are pretty similar. The salsa recipes, much less so.

I though I would see if the fine folks on this forum have their own secrets when it comes to making these items.

My tastes tend towards "medium" rather than "hot". For example, hen I order Thai food, I go for no more than 3 stars (out of 5).

Many thanks!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Pico de Gallo is specific. In my part of the country, it is always tomato, onion, and jalapeno, in small dices, usually with some cilantro. I have seen variations in Mexico.

Salsa is a very generic term, so you will get as many variations as there are people making it. Aside from the red (usually tomato based) and green (usually tomatillo based), you can make one out of about anything.

We often make one with fruit such as mango and some small red or green chilis chopped up. Serve with grilled salmon.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Lew,

What is your opinion on adding lime juice and/or a small amount of salt to Pico de Gallo? I've seen one or both of these ingredients in many of the online recipes. I've also seen chopped jicama and radish in the odd recipe here & there. Are these ingredients due to regional differences?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've seen some recipes use tomatillo instead of lime juice. The acid in the lime juice does help the veggies keep their vibrant colors. I add salt when I use the salsa or Pico de Gallo in a recipe. If it's just for eating then the chips are usually salty enough.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A dash of salt is fine, as is lime juice.

I have seen jicama, but never radish. But I think that radish could work well.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
I make mine with a bit of minced garlic for an extra kick. My wife loves it. Also, for "gringo" salsa, I substitute the jalapeno with green pepper. Do season with salt. Go easy on the cilantro, as it can overpower the other ingredients but I recommnend not leaving it out.

Whatever you settle on, it beats the heck out of something from a jar. Blaghhh!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
If we add salt, it's salina di mare, used very sparingly.

We always add jicama. My wife likes to chop it coarsely, but I usually add both coarsely and finely chopped (or food processed) pieces.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the tips, everyone.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
quote:If we add salt, it's salina di mare, used very sparingly.
Do you have a brand you perferm Angelo?

We used to buy Maldon's, but recently my wife has been preempting this, with a variety of different ones (many of them Italian).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks