What's new

Anyone had LASIK or PRK surgery: would like to hear experiences (1 Viewer)

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Brian,
I went to the Kraff Institute in downtown chicago. Their website is http://www.kraffeye.com
I think these guys are one of the best in the area. Also, Rush Medical center is very good as well.
Hope this helps.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
If anyone has any particular questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
to dave morton (or anyone else who had lasik when this thread was first posted)
how is your eyesight now? i believe it's been approx 9 months since you had the operation. i was just curious as to your progress.
obviously i'm considering this for myself, so i'm very curious. :)

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Hi Ted,
Yes, I just had my 9 month follow-up checkup. I'm seeing 20/12 in both eyes. I couldn't be happier with the procedure. I've had no problems whatsoever. Every once in a while I will put some moisture drops in my eyes. But that usually happens when I'm really concentrating hard and looking at the computer screen at work. It is quite a joy to wake up every day and see everything clearly.
I would do it again in a second. I have a really good doctor/surgeon. One of my co-workers is going to the same person in a couple of weeks.
If you decide to go through with it, just make sure that you research everything when choosing your surgeon/doctor. I interviewed a bunch of doctors and chose the best one. I would avoid those 2 for 1 deals. I would never take a chance with my vision. That's just my opinion. And ask a lot of people that had the surgery. It's real easy to get on a soapbox and shoot your mouth off about something you've never experienced. You see a lot of people like this on the internet. Just be leary of those people. They may try to sell you some land in the ocean too. :D

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Sept will be a year and nine months for me. I still see 20/15 with both eyes, night vision is better than ever.

I didn't go discount though. I picked the best doctor in central TX. I would still recommend researching your doctor thoroughly.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
congrats dave! 20/12 - that's amazing. it's nice to hear from someone who has actually gone through the process.
i also stare at a computer for 10hrs a day so i'm glad to hear it doesn't affect your work.
i do believe i will be doing this...if i can afford it. :D

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I didn't do LASIK but I was fortunate enuogh to see the initial results from a study even before the FDA approved the procedure. The other procedures in the study had just crappy results that when you see a good looking eye with great visual acuity, you'd easily identify it as a LASIK procedure.

When patients ask me if I'd recommend it, I always say yes. Granted we still have yet to have long term studies, if one actually knows what the procedure does to the cornea, in my opinion, I doubt there would be any ill effects in the future.

But...( there always is a but)...I am only a general ophthalmologist and don't actually perform the procedure. I highly recommend going to a refractive surgeon with tons of experience and just ask all your questions. He would know everything there is to know. Remember, a stupid question is one that is not asked.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I've worn specs for about 25 years now, my prescription is around -8.00 in both eyes, with astigmatism of around 1.25.

whilst I have yet to hear any "horror" stories about Lasik, I decided a while ago "the jury's still out" on long-term effects. and my eyes often feel a little dry during the day (although I never use eyedrops), possibly as a side-effect of sitting in an air-conditioned office all day, so if dry eyes is a "common" side effect, that's another reason not to.

as someone already said, if your eyes are otherwise healthy, why take additional risks? although it's not the most convenient thing in the world, I came to terms with wearing specs a long long time ago (still haven't bothered with contacts).

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
And ask a lot of people that had the surgery. It's real easy to get on a soapbox and shoot your mouth off about something you've never experienced. You see a lot of people like this on the internet. Just be leary of those people. They may try to sell you some land in the ocean too.
So the only valid opinions are the ones from someone who has had the procedure done? People who have researched it and decided not to do it are liars? What the hell kind of logic is that? :confused:

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And ask a lot of people that had the surgery. It's real easy to get on a soapbox and shoot your mouth off about something you've never experienced. You see a lot of people like this on the internet. Just be leary of those people. They may try to sell you some land in the ocean too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the only valid opinions are the ones from someone who has had the procedure done? People who have researched it and decided not to do it are liars? What the hell kind of logic is that?

----------------------------------------------------------

Where in the world did I say those exact words? When did I say that people that decided not to do it have not opinion and are liars?

Why do people take things as personal attacks on themselves? When did I single anyone out? Do people just like to be contrary? Gees!!!!

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I'm waiting on them to get the FAR-SIGHTED treatments working a little better. I'm +2.25 and +3.5 with a 1/2 whatchamacallit astigmatism in my left eye. I have been wanting to get eye surgery done, I just don't think they have the far-sighted procedure quite under control yet.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Just so you know James, I am starting to consider some type of corrective surgery. I would never listen (seriously) to anyone who is not a professional, or who has not actually had the surgery. People that have done the research, and have decided not to have the surgery have already formed an OPINION. I'm not interested in hearing opinions, just facts. Second-hand information is always tainted by opinion (hmm, I may have just found a line for my sig).

It's also pretty much common sense that you don't come to an internet discussion board to do any serious research. When researching my last car purchase, I went to the discussion board for that model. Easily 80% of the posts were about problems people were having, and how their dealers gave poor service. I'm sure there is a scientific name for this phenomenon, where the ones with negative experiences are the loudest.

Just like the automotive website, the surgucaleyes site does have it's place because AFAIK they are all first-hand experiences. This gives people doing research an easy way to find out what the possible problems are. In no way should they be the only source of information.

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Just like the automotive website, the surgucaleyes site does have it's place because AFAIK they are all first-hand experiences.
But unlike the automotive website the people at www.surgicaleyes.com have had their bodies ruined beyond repair. Is it worth the risk? Not to me...
But that's easy for me to say I don't need glasses anyway - I'm just curious about all the hard sell ads I hear on the radio all the time.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
But unlike the automotive website the people at www.surgicaleyes.com have had their bodies ruined beyond repair. Is it worth the risk? Not to me...
I fail to see your point. The automotive wesite is the very same idea. People like me go there to judge the risk of doing something (in this case, financial risk). Do the pros outweigh the possible cons. For many people, financial ruin (because they bought a car that broke down) is nearly as important as their health.
You've obviously done, in your opinion, a sufficient amount of research to form an opinion. That's great. I however, am just stating that I will be very discerning when I do my research. I have not done much at all yet, because I'm not exactly a good candidate. My prescription has remained the same for over two years, but I'm in my early 20s. My eyes could change after having the surgery, throwing off my vision again.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm in my early 20s. My eyes could change after having the surgery, throwing off my vision again.
That happens to almost everybody who has the surgery. For instance, the need for reading glasses is hastened by it, but any doctor will tell you that.
Here's another interesting on-topic post:
http://surgicaleyes.atinfopop.com/4/...1&m=2944089431
Nice thing about surgicaleyes is that there are many doctors there, not just LASIK patients. And not just disaster LASIK patients, but sucessful ones as well.
Personally I wouldn't have the procedure or consider it. My best corrected vision with glasses is perfect, I don't want to take any chance with that. Also, I have dry eye naturally, which I'm sure would be excruciating if I had LASIK. Plus who knows that the long term problems may be? Nobody.

Scott_G

Second Unit
I've had successful PRK on both eyes for over 5 years but I went ahead and spent some time on the surgicaleyes site.

The thing that stuck out for me was that most of the problems could have been avoided. Seems in most cases a doctor made a mistake and either didn't follow up right or tried a quick fix.

I can't believe the difference in pre and post care for some of the stories. Some people never even got their pupils measured.

My doctor did tons of prework and I saw him the day after surgery, two days later, two more days later, once a week for the next month, two months later and now once every year. Some of these people didn't see the doctor for a week after surgery and then only because they were in trouble. All of this time was included in the price.

This tells me there are some doctors out there that are just trying to make a buck and giving crappy care.

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same experience as Scott. My doctor is an instructor at the University of Utah. She fixes others problems in the valley. I met her many times and she rescheduled surgey once to make sure my eye was "ready". I had PRK cause of the shape of my cornea. I went from -4.25 and -4.00 to 20/15 -1 It has been 11 months and I use eye drops evey morning. Dont have any problems. I had many pot op visits right after surgery. I am happy with it so far. the only drawback is bright sunlight gets to you quick so I have to carry sunglasses with me or suffer. All in all I had a good experience( i underline I as i my own personal experience. other may vary see dealer for details OAC)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
This tells me there are some doctors out there that are just trying to make a buck and giving crappy care.
And the amount of money you spend doesn't in any way nguarantee better care. A lot of the people on SE had expensive doctors.

But it's not as simple as that. The procedure is definitely not perfected yet.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
LASIK FOR $10.00, BOTH EYES!

Yep, That is what I paid. My wife too. Two years ago my wife's insurance had coverage for Lasik surgery. A $10 co-pay at the initial visit was all that was required. Nearly everyone and their spouses at her work had the procedure done! All were done at $10 a person. Only one gentleman had to return 6 months later for a second procedure to correct his vision...at no additional charge, of course.

This lasted for about 60 days, then the insurance company readjusted their policy coverage. Elective surgery: NO coverage!

I have 20/20 in the Left eye and 20/15 in the right. I love it! Wore CocaCola bottle glasses until I was 20...then soft contact lenses. Now, I awake each morning with perfect vision...I can swim without fear of losing a lens..life is sooooo much better now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks