What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anyone feel like they always have to "upgrade" their DVD collection? (1 Viewer)

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone hates it when studios double or triple or quadruple dip their DVD titles, but is there anyone here who keeps buying "upgraded" titles anyway?

I've bought DVDs pretty much since day one, so there are plenty of early titles I've had to upgrade like Lethal Weapon, Interview With The Vampire, Jerry Maguire, The Rock, Armageddon, The Mask of Zorro, Notting Hill, My Best Friend's Wedding, Young Guns, Tombstone, A Few Good Men, The Mummy, True Romance, Seven, The Crow, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, The Sixth Sense, the Die Hard trilogy and more.

I even ended up triple-dipping on Tomorrow Never Dies when the James Bond box set came out.

Soon I'll be double dipping on Top Gun, Office Space, Deep Impact and the new Star Trek films, the Batman films and more. And you just know George Lucas will repackage all six Star Wars films.

But I did hold off on The Bourne Identity and In The Line of Fire, the latter because of the artwork since it's part of my Wolfgang Peterson box set.

The internet sites that are out there have helped me greatly as of late, so I know not to jump in too early on Black Hawk Down, Spider-Man 2, Underworld, Reservoir Dogs, Terminator 3, the Jack Ryan movies, etc. But I know a lot more of my titles will inevitably be double dipped.

Am I alone in this unhealthy habit or are there more of your out there?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
For me, it just comes down to scouting for information on the Internet and deciding what purchases I feel I can postpone. For example, I know that a version of Spider-Man 2 with about five minutes of extra footage will be released well after the two-disc set that is coming this November. I have decided that I will rent that first set and make a final decision when both sets are available. I can live without owning the movie during that time frame.

I will upgrade a DVD if a substantially better version comes to market or if the movies fall into my top tier. For example, I bought the Gold Collection Mary Poppins, but I will get the anniversary edition in December because that DVD will be significantly better. Also, I know I'll end up double-dipping on Star Wars at least one more time.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Brandon makes an excellent point about using available resources to check for upcoming releases on DVDs. One thing you might want to think about Michael is this: How much do you like the movie, and is it really worth it to you to "double" "triple" or whatever number dip with it?

In the case of Star Wars, I will double dip with it, but they'd better have the [now] well documented glitches fixed.

I held off buying Fellowship of the Rings when it first came out, because an extended version had been announced. My bro was driving me nuts, begging me to get the original version. I told him to go ahead, but I was going to wait for the extended edition. It was worth the wait.

For the most part, though, it is highly annoying to me that the studios wait until they have a big seller on their hands, and then decide, "Let's hit the suckers up again with a Director's Cut." I don't like being treated like that, especially since my hard earned bucks helped the movie at the box office, more than likely bought the VHS edition of the movie, then the first version of the film on DVD. I make it a point, too, that unless the "Director's Cut" or whatever they call the new edition is REALLY an improvement over the original release, I will pass on it. Thank God for rental outlets!

DaleC

Agent
I've learned to start reading ahead online as well. My girlfriend is ready to throttle me every time I buy the disk of a movie that I already have. I'm even trying to upgrade some of my old VHS movies, but it's happened a couple of times with DVD as well.

I actually bought the theatrical cut of Fellowship of the Ring, only to find (much to her annoyance) that an extended cut was coming later. I also bought the barebones version of Black Hawk Down, then found that there was a special edition coming. That was worth the upgrade and grief I got over it... and on top of that, I have the book too :D I've upgraded from VHS to DVD for Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan and Das Boot (also well worth it IMO).

Now I'm learning to read ahead. So much so that I will NOT be buying the Star Wars box set because I've heard that there is likely going to be a 30th anniversary edition with all six movies. It's tough to wait, but it'll be (hopefully) worth it in the long run.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It comes down to the film in question for me. But generally as a rule, I hate this whole double and triple dipping scheme by the studios. I know that they don't "force" us to buy more versions, but as fans we all know sometimes it's impossible to resist. They ought to just do it right and extensively the first time.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If there's an upgrade on features, audio or video transfer, cover art/packaging, etc. than it'll warrant a second purchase from me. If it's just a promotional tie-in with no significant extras and a ported transfer with some new packaging to advertise a theatrical release or something to that extent than it's a pass.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Not the whole collection, just a few and that's a small few. Spiderman Superbit, Lord of the Rings, and other Superbit titles for picture and DTS. The rest I'm happy with.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
I never, ever ever buy "upgraded" titles unless the picture quality improvement is significant. Like if the original release was fullscreen and then it comes out in widescreen. Just having a few bonus extras is not enough for me. The only time I remember upgrading was when I bought the "uncut" version of "Heavenly Creatures"... mainly because it was in widescreen, and had 10 extra minutes. My old version was in P&S and looked like it was copied off a VHS tape.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator

That is silly, in those years you are going to wait you could be enjoying all the Star Wars movies over and over again, and maybe by the time that boxset comes out (if ever) you will have watched them so many times you really got your money's worth. But I don't even know the point to upgrade if the only difference will be more room in the box for 2 more movies. I guess it all depends on what you value more in a DVD release.

DaleC

Agent

Well, I have them on VHS as well, and I've watched and watched and watched them. Besides, everyone and their brother has it, and it's rentable as well. This means I don't have to wallow in a Force-less stupor. I honestly can't see them NOT releasing a 6-movie set. Lucas has become too dependant on his cash-cow to not do something like that. Personally, I don't mind waiting for it-I'm a patient fellow, especially when I can beg, borrow and steal--erm--I mean... watch VHS......:D

Return of the King was a phenominal end to the LoTR films, and I'm patient on that as well. I won't even get it when it comes out, but it'll be number one on my Christmas list and, if I don't get it for Christmas, then I'll buy it.

Personally, I'm a freak for features. I love the commentaries and behind-the-scenes peeks at films. I like hearing directors talk about their troubles, and filling in subtexts for the movies. I thought "13 Days" had a GREAT batch of features on it. Ridley Scott was fascinating to listen to in the "Gladiator" commentary, and I had no second thoughts about upgrading Black Hawk Down when I saw the special edition. The extras on that disk were worth every penny of the barebones and SE combined.

You're right that it comes down to preference, and I prefer to wait for Star Wars 30th anniversary uber-collection. At the same time, as much as I liked "The Matrix," I'm not going to be buying the ten(!!!) disk super-ultra-special edition, or whatever they're calling it, although I did buy "The Matrix Reloaded (a fascinating making-of documentary).

Out of curiosity, can anyone talk about "Master and Commander" special edition? I really enjoyed that movie except for the way it ended. Anyway, what's your opinion on that one? Should I get it? How're the features/commentaries, etc.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
Like others have said, if I like the movie and the re-release is worth the upgrade then I'll buy it again.

I don't plan on repurchasing the mega deluxe edition of Bulletproof Monk or The Rundown anytime soon though.

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
It depends on the movie.

I found out about re-releases for both Midnight Run and Roger Rabbit when the original releases were still selling for big money on E-Bay. By selling them, I was able to offset the cost of the new editions and actually pocket some cash.

However, most of the time I am content with my original purchases. That may change when I upgrade to HDTV but I don't see that happening for at least a couple of years.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I'll upgrade for a Criterion version or anamorphic enhancement (still on the fence about The Thing because that's all that's being brought to the party), but I've learned to be more patient or not mind whether or not I have the commentary track.

If it's a really old title it doesn't bother me to upgrade; after all many LPs were reissued as CDs early in the format with little or no remastering just to get the product out which have only recently been properly remastered.

Just the price of being an early adopter I figure...

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Because I never got into LD (too expensive for me at the time) I made myself a promise that I would only get the "top of the line" DVDs when they came out. So when I found out there were different versions of DVDs (Thank god for all those Evil Dead II and Night of the Living Deads; they taught me to look at all the spec differences early on in my DVD buying career!) I became a much more patient buyer.

I quickly learned to scout out as much info as I can before making a purchase. This has kept me from buying many titles right out the bat, but it's also saved me from double dipping more often than not.

As a matter of fact, I think I've double dipped twice - once was Predator (when the DTS version came out - and even then I found out that the better version was due out, I ended up never opening it and returning it for credit to buy the new 2 disc version!) and the Batman animated series (which I'll be upgrading to the boxed sets - anyone looking to buy the "loose" dvds?)

It's sites like this one that keep me from regreting my purchases! Thanks HTF!!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I used to upgrade more than I do now, though I still do it a lot. Still, for quite a while now, I only upgrade for either improved picture quality, a new cut (such as a director's cut), or new deleted scenes.

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator
I've upgraded maybe a dozen or so. The most distinct ones I remember were Memento and Sixth Sense. I couldn't get rid of the old copies, so I ended up just giving them to my dad. Memento is just not his type of movie--if it doesn't have space ships or killer insects or morphing humanoids he's not going to watch it. I'm pretty sure it's been pushed back and is currently gathering dust.

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
I find that what they did with Spider-Man and are doing with Pirates of the Carribean with the third disc throw-in repackaging to be a joke.

I'm thankful the internet saved me from buying the original LOTR discs, Black Hawk Down, etc.

Anyone know anything about the James Bond DVDs being redone for 2005?

Personally, I loved this movie. Thought it was one of the best films of last year, so buying the SE was a no-brainer for me.

There are a TON of special features on it. No commentary, but lots of featurettes, deleted scenes and so forth. The $10 Master and Commander DVD, as far as I know, is pretty bare bones.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I rarely upgrade unless it's something thats of substantial improvement.

For example, some people buy the same movie 5 times. Not me. I can use all that extra money for something else.

I did downgrade my collection significantly as well. I now only buy things that will be watched more than once.

Too much wasted money can go on titles you will see once and then never again? Then what? Over time you have wasted hundreds or most likely thousands of dollars to have a bunch of stuff sitting on a shelf.

One good friend of mine has probably over 1000 dvd's. A good 80% of these he is impartial to and has not watched more than once and doesnt plan to ever watch again. He even buys upgrades of movies he doesnt watch.

Same guy complains that he cant buy a new DLP or Plasma, but really wants one. Well, he could have had several tv's (good ones) with the money he has wasted on movies he will never watch.

So, do I ever upgrade? Sure. But, only for movies I personally really want and know will be used.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I only upgrade for a/v improvements (e.g. anamorphic transfer, new sound mix) or an extended cut. Extras mean nothing to me, except for rare cases like Kill Bill.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It depends. Some titles I owned were replaced instantly with the better editions. Amadeus and Blazing Saddles are examples... I'm hoping to do the same with Gone with the Wind in November and Pinocchio in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks