Anyone familiar with Toronto?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Paquette, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I'll be going to a show at the Molson Ampitheatre in Toronto in June. I'm looking for a nice (not the HOJO) place to stay that is relatively close to the Ampitheatre. Also looking for restaurant recommendations and any other helpful Toronto info. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Hi Mark,

I live in Toronto - it's a FANTASTIC city... very world class (think of a smaller version of New York). There's lots to do here, including a very active night life, shopping, fantastic restaurants, and about a million theaters. [​IMG]

You may want to check www.toronto.com - the information you're looking for in terms of accomodation should be there.

Good luck!

Moe.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Unlike Moe I don't live in Toronto; but I agree that it is a great city.

If you consider staying in an area that is pretty lively, instead of near the venue, my favoriate hotel in Toronto is in Yorkville.

The Windsor Arms is a very fine, small hotel where the personal service is second to none. It most certaintly meets your 'not Howard Johnson' requirement, especially the price.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well there's a lot to choose from. For a few $$$ there's the Westin Harbour Castle which most definitely is not hojo. It is located on the lake about 5 minutes east of the Molsen Ampitheatre. Then for less $$ you have the Sheraton at Queen and York. The list is endless with dozens of downtown hotels in the area alone.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Mark, check out the Hockey Hall of Fame while you are there. We usually stay at the Sheraton, but I'm not sure how close that is to the Molson Ampitheater (don't know where that's located).

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The Molsen Ampitheatre is located at the Ex, near Ontario Place. Downtown is just east of that.

7. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

The Sheraton on Queen St. W. (across from City Hall) is a decent choice. Just West of there begins a great section of Queen St. with lots of used CD and book stores plus some cool clubs (not to mention some seedy ones). It's slowly becoming a bit more upscale (Starbucks, Gap, etc.), but you still meet a huge variety of people down that way.

Having said that, I like Lew's idea. Yorkville is quite nice (very upscale - it's where all the Hollywood types can be found when they stay in Toronto during a movie shoot). It's also close to the subway as well as easy walking distance to the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum).

8. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    Spring Rolls on Yonge and Spring Rolls on Front are both excellent restaurants.

http://springrollsonline.com/

If you're in town when there's a game, the Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome) is an excellent stadium for watching baseball. I suggest buying 500 level seats as close to the front of the deck as you can get -- they're $9 CDN and the view is spectacular. Best cheap seats in all of baseball.

What kind of food do you like?

9. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

Lew, I was really interested in staying at your recommended hotel, but they are booked for weekend I'll be in town.

Neil, thanks for pointing out exactly where the Molson Ampitheater is. Makes finding a hotel a bit easier.

Scott, I'll definitely be checking out the hockey hall of fame. Already had that one on the list!

Aaron, Springrolls looks like a place I'll probably check out. As far as what I like, pretty much anything. I enjoy trying new places, so I'm open to just about anything.

10. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Wayne Gretzky's restaurant

Second City comedy troupe

Casa Loma castle

The Hockey Hall of Fame is a must. I'm not that much of a hockey fan but I think it is better than the NFL and NBA Hall of Fames. Plus, it is in the middle of a mall. You can pick up a slice of pizza at Sbarro, a Cinnabon, an Auntie M's pretzel, wash it down with an Orange Julius, and saunter over to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Too bad Mark, but you will have a great time anyway. Love that city.