What's new

Anyone ever played GO? (1 Viewer)

KyleK

Second Unit
I just saw the movie Pi a couple days ago, and the game Go which is played by the main charachter looked pretty interesting. Has anyone here ever played it? What is the object of the game, and how difficult is it?

Thanks,

Kyle

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Don't know how to play, but it came up in one of my computer classes (class is on A.I. and the section it was in was using search algorithms for playing games).

Chess has a branching factor on average of 35. So a straight brute force search can play chess at an intermediate level. Go has a branching factor of 360. Straight search is absolutely hopeless.

Bottom line Go requires just as much if not more discipline than chess to play well.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
All I know is that Go was invented in China thousands of years ago. But here's a Link Removed that may answer some of your questions.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
You can play for free at Yahoo! games. It's somewhat easy to learn, impossible to master. And it's a tiny bit like Othello. Look around the net and I'm sure you can find the rules and maybe a tutorial. Or check your library for a beginner's book. I played in high school and I was horrible.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I used to play go all the time.

Real good Go players laugh when chess snobs look down on Go since Go players knows that it's much harder to play at a high level.

By the way, I was not that good playing Go.

There are several computer games of Go if you want to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks