What's new

Anyone else have unstable Salamander racks? (1 Viewer)

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I have a Salamander Archetype 5.0 audio rack; the holes in the shelves is considerable larger than the threaded "screw" legs making it a little too unstable for my tastes. I got it on sale from AudioAdvice.com and when I asked them, they basically said "this is the way we got it from Salamander."

I have an email in to Sal's customer service dept, but was just curious to know if anyone has run into this problem--maybe I just got some wrong legs with mine? Even so, the bolts and the feet fit the legs, so they would have mispackaged all the hardware.

-Joe

Bruce N

Second Unit
You need to tighten the nuts more. I have three pieces of Salamander Archetype stuff and they are all very solid.

Bruce

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Same-o as BruceN. I have the Archetype. I was very hyper about each shelf being exactly the same distance as the others from the shelf below. That, plus some torque on a wrench to tighten the bolts, and voila, I have a very stable rack. BTW, I have probably over 150 lbs of eqp on mine. 2 components per shelf, using 4 shelves.

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Never had a problem with my Archetype 5.0 and it's been through a move as well as being rolled around (I have casters on the bottom of each leg to facilitate easier access to the back of my components) quite a bit.

I picked up mine from Audio Advisor, too!

If I remember correctly, the holes were quite a bit larger than the threaded rods - the nuts and rubber washers hold the boards in place - the rods just support the nuts. I was skeptical about the overall quality before I assembled the rack. Once I put it all together, it was rock steady.

Good luck!

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for everybody's replies, I appreciate it. I did cinch the nuts 'n washers down pretty tight, but wanted to check first. I incidentally have a TV35 matching tv stand and it seems more "solid" to me, not only because it's shorter and wider (hence the stability), but the legs are closer to the diameter of the holes, which led to my confusion...

-Joe

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Joe- I also have the Salamander TV unit for my TV. And yes, it is a little bit more stable than the Archetype. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks