What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

anyone else ever do a dick van dyke show flashback marathon? (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I was just wondering if anyone else had ever done this?

I just watched all of the flashback episodes. I broke it down into two parts.

Part 1 - The contemporary flashbacks.

This includes all of the flashbacks to things that happened to him recently. There are 13 of these shows. I've listed them by season (episode #):

2 (39) - 3 flashbacks (one fish, and two Rashomonish) about a fight between Rob & Laura
2 (44) - Remembering the PTA show the previous year
2 (50) - Check grabbing earlier that night
3 (76) - Flashback to 1 week earlier where Xmas show is proposed
3 (81) - Poker game with marked cards earlier that night
3 (91) - Rob tells Laura how he ended up in jail
4 (96) - How rob got judoed into the hospital a few days earlier
4 (99) - Jerry rips rob's jacket 2 weeks earlier
4 (115) - Buying the chicken feather pillows 2 months earlier
4 (111) - Stacie's date earlier that evening
4 (118) - Rob giving away Bupkis 2 months earlier
4 (121) - The toe in the faucet earlier that night
5 (142) - Rob's tuxedo ripped while watching tv in albany

Part 2 - the historical flashbacks.

These are the ones that take place before the show began. There are approximately 17 of these episodes (+/- 1 depending on how your point of view). I've put these in chronological order (which is pretty easy to do), although my attempt to attach dates to them didn't work - there are just too many discrepancies in the timeline.

1 (6) - They meet
5 (131) - Cpl. Rice tries to steal Laura
5 (137) - Rob fights Boom Boom
2 (34) - The proposal & wedding
2 (47) - 3 day pass (this one is optional since it was so heavily embellished. Also, chronologically, it falls between the proposal and the wedding of the previous episode)
3 (85) - Their honeymoon
4 (106) - Laura drugged up 2 months after wedding
5 (147) - Mexican divorce 3 months after wedding
4 (122) - Job interview with Alan Brady
2 (49) - 1st day as head writer
3 (90) - Laura poses for nude painting
2 (36) - Laura tells rob she's pregnant
4 (119) - They buy the house with the rock
5 (140) - Rob unemployed during show's summer hiatus
4 (102) - Held up in elevator by Lionel Delp
1 (19) - Richie born
3 (64) - Taking richie home from the hospital

The final episode of the series also includes repeats of some historical flashbacks, but I didn't include that in my marathon.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
George, thanks for listing those out should someone else want to try this. I have watched marathons of the Dick Van Dyke Show, but that's usually just several episodes strung together flashback or not. I might try this someday though.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Great list of the "flashbacks" in the series, George :emoji_thumbsup: Can't say that I've done the marathon. I recently bought the whole series set so I'm still in Season 1. I remember the flashback's being among the best eps of this series, though. I finally found a use for the Season 1 set that I'd bought before the megaset was released. My nephew now has S1 for Xmas :D Amazing how some of the youngsters out there like something from this era of TV series.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Hmm this is a good idea. It would be easy to do with "The Simpsons," as well. I wonder if there's such a list for that show??

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Interesting idea, indeed, George. However, you've missed a couple of flashback episodes.......

Ep. 39 -- "The Night The Roof Fell In" .... 2 flashbacks here, highlighting the different versions of a fight between Rob and Laura.

Ep. 91 -- "Dear Mrs. Petrie, Your Husband Is In Jail" .... The "Benny Joey" nightclub flashbacks.

Also: If you wanted to include "Dream Sequences" in such a list, several more shows could be added. These aren't exactly "flashbacks", but sort of akin to a flashback in a fashion.

Dream sequences occur in:

Ep. 5 -- "Washington vs. The Bunny".
Ep. 27 -- "The Bad Old Days".
Ep. 51 -- "It May Look Like A Walnut".
Ep. 93 -- "I'd Rather Be Bald Than Have No Head At All".
Ep. 158 -- "The Gunslinger".

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
David,

Thanks for the heads up. They got lost in the shuffle. I'll update my first post.

Actually #39 has 3 flashbacks of sorts, though none is exactly traditional. One is the flashback of a fish, and then Rob and Laura each have a Rashomon flashback which is distorted beyond repair. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yes, indeedy, you're right. Good catch. I had earlier claimed only 2 f-backs in that episode. I hadn't thought of the initial "fishy flashback" with the talking fishies (utilizing fish and a fish tank, btw, that we never, ever see again; similar to the fate of the one-time-seen pool table in the basement). :)

LAURA -- "I don't know how you do it darling....working all day, writing all those funny jokes"
ROB -- "That does it! Sarcasm is something I don't take from anybody!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks