What's new

Anyone affected by the ice storm? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I just now got power back at my house. I lost it because of the ice storm that pounded the East Coast. Everything's back to normal for me, but my house is 50°F!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
that sucks man!
no ice storm in the upper midwest, it's warm (well, 15) and sunny out :)

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew: Where in NC are you? I'm in Winston Salem and was lucky not to lose power but several of the neighborhoods around me did. We looked like an island of light at night.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Charlotte got hit pretty hard. In fact this is Duke powers worst "disaster" ever. Yes, even worse than hurricane Hugo. I myself was not affected at all living just south of Charlotte. It seems that we always miss the storms.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
A couple years ago my entire city sat in the dark for two weeks because of an ice storm. And because of a thunderstorm last week, the temperature in Matthew's house is colder than my freezer.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I live in Chapel Hill; Orange and Durham counties were supposedly the hardest hit.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
We got hit pretty hard around my area in Morrisville. Just about all of RTP was shut down Thursday and part of Friday. My neighboorhood is new and has all underground power lines. As soon as they got the main feeders on 30 hours after the storm we had electricity. Our gas fireplace and waterheater, coupled with a gas grill and Coleman lanterns were great. We had friends come over from their sub 50 degree house for the night. Once you learn to keep the heat down, you can cook pretty easy on a gas grill.

I feel lucky that we got power back on so fast and did not lose any food (well, we did do a much needed cleanout of older stuff from the fridge when we packed it in a cooler and set it outside). There are people who still don't have power Monday morning and several have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks