What's new

Anybody Use Dynaudio Speakers in their Set-Up? (1 Viewer)

I've been very impressed with Dynaudio speakers for two-channel playback and was wondering whether anybody uses them in a 5.1 or 7.1 set up.

I know one Dynaudio dealer in my area and was thinking of auditioning a set-up consisting of two Contour 1.8 MK II speakers (front left and right), two Countour 1.3 MK II surrounds, a Contour center and a Contour subwoofer. The living room in my apartment isn't all that big, so I think the Contour 3.0 might be a bit much.

A set up like what I just described would probably run close to $10k retail. Does anybody think Dynaudio's are worth the money? How much better are they (or are they?) than "budget hi end" speakers like the PSB Stratus and Paradigm Reference speakers (which sell for around half of what the Dynaudios cost)? Unfortunately, no dealer in my area carries both the Dynaudios and either the PSBs or Paradigm References, so it would be impossible for me to do a head-to-head comparison.

And has anyone compared Dynaudio Contour speakers against similarly priced PMC or Linn speakers?

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David,

The Dynaudio Contour series is superb. Extremely accurate and neutral, which is generally a desirable feature - although their bookshelf units do tend to exaggerate the mid-bass if placed close to a wall. Please note that they can be difficult to drive due to relatively low sensitivity and a 4 ohm nominal rating, so you'll need not necessarily a powerful amplifier, but one that can drive low impedence loads comfortably.

In terms of value for money in the U.S., it may be a little too expensive.

Cheers,
Mal

BruceD

Screenwriter
David,

Yes, I have a 5.1 system of Dynaudio Contours, click on my equipment list below in red.

I would recommend the Contour 1.3SE for mains, Contour center, and Contour 1.1 for surrounds. The 1.3SE has a better tweeter, like my 2.8 mains, and would be better at 2-channel music than the 1.3mkII.

I think the 1.8 MkII are too diffucult to place for smooth mid-bass (too boomy).

I spent a year auditioning speakers before I bought (B&W, Paradigm, Audio Physic, and others). I have not even listened or demoed any other speakers in the last 4 years since getting the Dyns. I'm still mesmerized by their sound on female vocals and jazz.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Are the Contour's overpriced? That is subjective. Are they better than my Paradigm Reference? Yes, but whether it is worth the difference in price is a personal thing. If I were to buy the Contours, I would consider checking places like audiogon to get them used. The price/performance ratio gets a lot more in sync at used prices.

The 1.3SE's are IMO the finest speakers in that line, and probably the finest bookshelf speakers I have ever heard. At around $2.2K used, they are quite worth the money. To me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks