What's new

Understanding Yamaha Rx-v1083 - speaker configuration (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

I am trying to understand how my Yamaha routes sound in my current configuration and I am also curious about the speaker set up itself.

I currently have a 7.1 setup which I think is a 5.1 set up with 2 "presence" speakers in Yamaha parlance. Which is to say that I have a traditional 5.1 set up (LCR, sub and 2 dipole rear spkrs) with 2 additional speakers placed above the two main front speakers. If I understand things correctly, the two presence speakers also act as height speakers for Dolby Atmos playback.

I guess my question is, during Atmos playback, is this a now a true 7.1 system with sound being directed independently to all 7.1 speakers? or is it still a 5.1 system with the Yamaha working some sort of processing magic to make the presence speakers act as though they are Atmos speakers?

Question 2 is about rear speakers. I have been into this particular hobby since the old Dolby Pro logic days and I thought I had been keeping up but when I reviewed the documentation for Yamaha, the 7.1 set up envisioned in the diagrams has 4 surround speakers, 2 at the sides which look like full size speakers positioned beside but slightly forward of the listening position and then two smaller speakers to the rear of the listening area. Does 7.1 playback require or recommend full sized speakers at the sides of the listening area? Or is this just a diagramming thing that can be ignored?

Question 3 - are the extra 2 speakers in a 7.1 worth the effort or expense? And does my Amplifier actually do 9.1? That is, a 7.1 set up with the 2 presence speakers.

Question 4 - bonus question!! - If I don't have a DTS X logo on the amp, does that mean it won't do DTS X? Or is DTS X a software upgrade for this amp and would work if I do an update and had a source to play it on?

Thanks for any and all replies. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how this works but I am a bit confused.

Regards,

Kip

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll try to take these in order.

First, there's no need for large speakers at the side surround. I don't know why the graphic for your receiver shows them, but they should just be the same as the rear surround speakers.

What you have set up right now isn't 7.1. It's kind of a 5.1.2, if it's configured that way in the receiver, but ideally those last 2 speakers, the front Atmos, would be forward and over your head, such as in the ceiling or surface mounted to it. Having them above the L&R, as in what has been done with height speakers, won't really achieve what Atmos strives for. Atmos effects are supposed to be over your head. So, right now, when you play an Atmos soundtrack, you're sort of getting 5.1.2, but not the way it's supposed to be. 7.1 would have side and rear surrounds and nothing overhead/height.

To answer another question, yes, when you play back an Atmos soundtrack, you get discrete channels. On non-Atmos/DTS:X soundtracks, the receiver synthesizes the height/Atmos channels.

Third question, no, your receiver doesn't appear to do 9 channels. Receivers which do seem to all cost over $1K. You can connect 9 speakers, but from what I can tell, you have to select either rear surround OR front height/Atmos at any given time, but you can't do both at the same time.

I think people are still trying to figure out the whole Atmos/DTS:X deal. There's a LOT of marketing creativity (read: lying) regarding how to implement it. It seems to me that a full implementation requires 11 discrete channels, in a 7.1.4 configuration, with all the Atmos speakers in or surface mounted to the ceiling. Receivers/Processors that can do that don't come cheap.

Last edited:

Dave>h

Second Unit
John Rice, Thanks for the clarification, that is very helpful.

Having read the manual a bit more (I REALLY hate pdf manuals, miss the old paper ones, I guess I could print it...) it does allow for 9 speakers but depending on the input, the receiver decides whether to use the 5.1.2 set up or the 7.1 set up. This seems really odd to me because if you connect all 9, at any given time, 2 of them won't actually be working. At least that is what it seems like and to me, that seems like a waste of speakers. Shame it can't be configured for a 7.1.2 situation with some external amplification (I already use external amps).

Thanks again!!

Kip

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
7.1.2 or 5.1.4 would require a more powerful processor, two more amp channels, more pre-amp outputs, etc. I thought that maybe you could use an external amp for the front channels, and assign those to two more surround channels, which some receivers can do. But... nothing anywhere says it can process 9 channels, so I guess that's a no go.

They're just trying to pack in as many features for as little cost as possible, with enough confusing misdirection to sucker people in. After all, if you looked at the back of the receiver, which is usually reliable, you'd expect it to be able to drive 9 speakers. Unfortunately, nope.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Drat! I will have to play around with it a bit. I have a couple of Yamaha Musiccast speakers which can connect wirelessly or through the network.

Interesting that it is a processing issue, I would have thought that could be rectified with a software update. Maybe they will do something about in the future.

It certainly wasn't a cheap amp - i think the MSRP was C$1700 so would expect there to be some more flexibility. But then maybe not.

Thanks again!

Kip

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks