What's new

anybody remember this series of records? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Listening to the soundtrack album for American Graffiti, I remembered that there used to be a series of LP records available, each cataloguing the pop music from a different year from the 1950s and 60s. Each record had hits (some fairly minor) from the year in question and also (if my memory hasn't totally failed me) soundbites from contemporary radio broadcasts. The covers had cartoon pictures which charted the lives of a young teenage couple and put end to end basically told a tale of their relationship.

Can anyone remember the name of the series, please? Were they ever released on CD?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I believe you are recalling a series of LPs called Cruisin' 19xx. I had a few of them and they were fun at the time.

Chris

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Christopher, I have some of those, on LP. I've never seen 'em on CD. The covers all have cars on 'em and happy, cool gearheads and babes in the shot. If they've ever been on another format, it's purr-dy near proable it were ate-track tape...?;) No, really!

Andrew, your discription provoked a memory and pulled out Hit Reunion,60's, on LP, it's got a cartoon cover with dancing records and musical notes, with little feet and hands of course. I also have Chartblasters, 60's, with a cartoonish cover, a fist coming through a brick wall. They're both junk records, not all the tracks are the original hit versions, many re-records. You wouldn't want either. The Criusing vinyls are atleast original versions.

I grabed 1964 and here's what's on it:

1. Little Old Lady (from Pasadena) - Jan & Dean
2. Last Kiss - J. Frank Wilson
3. My Guy - Mary Wells
4. You Don't Own Me - Lesley Gore
5. Dancing In The Street - Martha Reeves

Side 2:

1. Under The Boardwalk - Drifters
2. Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying - Gerry & Pacemakers
3. Let It Be Me - Betty Everett
4. Um, Um, Um, ect... - Major Lance
5. Chapel Of Love - Dixie Cups

I think my other one is 1967?

Cartoon covers are usually bad news in my experience and I have beaucoups of sampler type albums, generally...

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Rachael, allmusic.com shows Cruisin' 1957 to have been released on CD, I checked it since it was one of the ones I had on vinyl. I assume the others have been available as well and I recall seeing some, but it has been awhile and it wouldn't surprise me if they are OOP, but I haven't tried to determine that. I don't remember Um, Um, Um, etc., can you hum a few bars?

Chris

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Many thanks for the info, folks - yes it was the Cruisin' series. I have always wanted to see the full story of the two characters (my local record store frustratingly only ever stocked an incomplete run of the the albums). Now, following back on the link above, I've found it. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Chris, here's a few bars of Um Ect, "dum, dum, dum, dum , dumb!" ;) That's how it sounds to me!

My two Crusin' albums don't have radio spots on 'em. I'd like it if they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks