Anybody have info/experiences with HP 8220e External USB CDBurner?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jan 5, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=8220E-RB
    My dad is planning to buy this instead of a new hard drive, does anybody know any info about this? Is it a good buy? The price is right i think. the 4x write and rewrite is same as the one on my desktop, so i wont be too jaded by the fast 16x speeds these days...
    Thanks alot!

2. JasonD

JasonD Agent

Hey Nick I have an older model, the 7200 ext USB burner (I think it's the 7200, a relative of mine is borrowing it at the moment) and it runs fine. As a rule of thumb, shut off any screen savers and even antivirus software during a burn session. You don't want any TSR (terminate/stay/resident) to start up during the data-to-disc process.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, im used to that... My Desktop burner is 4x4x24, and no Buffer Underrun protection etc, so i gotta close as many programs as possible just to be safe.

4. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Nick,

Does your dad have a firewire (IEEE 1394) connection? There are external firewire burners available at the higher internal speeds (14x). Might be worth the extra few bucks.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    No, he only has a USB port, though it is possible to get a Firewire PCMCIA card, it would cost more $...