What's new

Anybody else's friends do this? (1 Viewer)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
They see your home theatre and love it, want to build their own so they have you over to ask for your advice. Then one day they announce its done and you come over and they have completely disregarded everything you said and f*cked up, but you're too nice to say anything :)

My friends had me over for HOURS explaining things, then went out and built a SQUARE ROOM, stuck in BOSE SPEAKERS, painted the walls with nice shiny glossy paint... They bought a rear projection TV (which is okay I guess because they'll watch TV in there a lot) but bought one that looks like dogpoop. And this guy has the bucks to DO IT RIGHT!

- Jack

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
They see your home theatre and love it, want to build their own so they have you over to ask for your advice. Then one day they announce its done and you come over and they have completely disregarded everything you said and f*cked up, but you're too nice to say anything :)

My friends had me over for HOURS explaining things, then went out and built a SQUARE ROOM, stuck in BOSE SPEAKERS, painted the walls with nice shiny glossy paint... They bought a rear projection TV (which is okay I guess because they'll watch TV in there a lot) but bought one that looks like dogpoop. And this guy has the bucks to DO IT RIGHT!

- Jack

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
not exactly the same thing, but i get asked a lot of advice about gadgets and technical topics, and it irritates me when a person will go out of their way to ask my advice only to ignore it later on without getting advice from anyone else. makes you wonder why they came to you in the first place!

CJ

DanaA

Screenwriter
Luckily, my friends have listened to my advice ( or unluckily, depending on how you view what I recommend). Thus far, they've been overjoyed with the results...knock on wood.

The problem comes when somebody listens to/believes what a salesperson or what they read in advertisements. I've been there before myself many years ago, but am able to do a much better job of it these days.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So far I haven't had any of my friends "snub" me like that. I got some major points when I persuaded a friend to jump on Dell's 900.00 X1 deal. I should have asked him to give me the rebate money :)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Yep. Happens all the time. About Web design, carpentry, computers, DVD, sports.. You name it, people "know better".

david stark

Second Unit
I was showing off my new surround sound system to a friend that I'd just got and he rather liked it and within 6 months he had gone out and got a far better system than mine including a rear projector and I'm still stuck with my TV...

Johnny_M

Second Unit
my buddy has his surrounds in front of him, pointing at the tv, he still doesnt understand the concept, even after listening to mine many times. although i think his wife makes him do it because it looks better somehow. women and HT rarely mix. i dont watch movies at his house, so i dont argue it.

Johnny

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
What gets me is when I spend months researching stuff for my own setup, then friends will want help on their own setup, but they're too lazy to research it themselves.

Them: "Where can I get theater curtains?"
Me: "I dunno, go check out the HTF. They'll know"
Them: "Aw man, I just want a website."
Me: *eyes roll out of sockets*

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Invite him over to hear yours, and when he says why does it sound so good? Tell him because i built mine like i told you to biuld yours. Ouch!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
A female friend of mine asked me to do a background check on the man she was currenlty dating in order to confirm his "story".

He was married, but separated, and claimed to have already filed for divorce. I found no divorce record and told my friend that her man either filed in a different county, or was probably lying.

Did she listen to me? NO. She found out on her own, weeks or months later, and dumped the guy.

She later met the love of her life on match.com and is now happily married, so everything turned out OK. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Can you force him to move the speakers to the right place and watch The Matrix to show him how it's supposed to sound? What's the point of having surround speakers if they don't surround?

Johnny_M

Second Unit
my friend is an idiot with no backbone and his wife rules him, so id have to force her and shes a big girl :)

Johnny

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
The short answer, no. I am the advice man for everybody I know. Mostly just because I'm a nuts and bolts type of guy. I'm technical, I do research, I'm a jack of all trades, etc. Most people that ask for my advice just do whatever I tell them. I dont think I'm pushy at all, in fact they generally keep driving me to just tell them exactly what to get. I guess I'm lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks