What's new

Any word on Punch-Drunk Love yet? (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that a few films (Tuck Everlasting, Knockaround Guys, Swept Away, Rules of Attraction) which had the same theatrical release date as Punch-Drunk Love, have already had DVD announcements.
Any word on a DVD release date for Punch-Drunk Love and/or specs?

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
on ptanderson.com they had mentioned something about april, and it being a 2 disc with commentary atleast...i'm expecting this DVD to be incredible.

on a bit of a side note, anyone surprised/excited about adam sandler's golden globe nomination??

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam/Brian.

I'm very anxious for this disc.. easily my most awaited DVD release for 2002 films.

I hope Columbia does the DVD justice. A 2-disc release with commentary is essential for this film. Hopefully it'll include a diary-type feature like the one included on the Magnolia DVD.

Sam,

I don't really put much stock in these types of awards, but I have to admit that it was good to see Sandler get a nomination for his wonderful performance. However, I have to give P.T. Anderson credit for this, since he's one of the best "actor's director" out there.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
According to DVDFile, PDL will be released April 1st.

At least we've got a release date... hopefully the specs will come soon.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
This is definitely a title I am looking forward to picking up. I really wanted to see this in the theaters but just never got time. As far as extras go, I think it would be really interesting to have a Sandler commentary to hear what he thought about doing his first "serious" film.

Chris S.

Matt_P

Second Unit
This film saw a limited release in my area. As a result, I unfortunately missed it. I'm axiously awaiting this release!

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
A bit of bad news. I got an email from PTA today and it looks like this will be a double dip. With the short turnaround times occuring these days, he didn't get a chance to finalize the dvd features for the April 1st release. He said expect a basic version in April and a souped up version down the road. It's the nature of the beast when you're busy promoting a film, etc. Time runs out......

more info on my site.

Thanks
Greg

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
That's really dissapointing to hear.

Sony/Columbia-TriStar screws up the theatrical release of PDL with their slow roll-out and now this.

If the initial DVD release is going to be a "basic" version, then why do they have to wait until April 1st to release it? Couldn't they just release it in February?

I'm not happy about this at all.

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator
Just throwing my 2 cents it, but to those who haven't seen this movie first, it may not be a good blind buy.

Plus given the fact that it's going to be a double dip, some may want to consider renting it first anyway.

It's definately one of those movies people seem to either love it or hate it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It's a shame this is going to be a double-dip, but that seems to be almost the norm for Columbia these days. At least we know in advance!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
It's definately one of those movies people seem to either love it or hate it.
Put me in the "love it" camp. I have a sneaking suspicion that will be the first and last time I will say that about an Adam Sandler movie. Of course, I consider PDL to be a Paul Thomas Anderson movie that happens to have Adam Sandler in it, a subtle but important distinction. :)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I was going to make a blind purchase on this (which I rarely ever do) because "PDL" never came to my area, but it looks like I'll give the standard DVD a rental and wait for the SE. I just hope it doesn't take too long.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I fully understand the need for extra time to produce a good special edition but Columbia should announce a timeframe for the special edition. I am still waiting for my Blackhawk Down special edition and I hope PDL does not turn out to be the same thing.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I don't know if I am in the minority here but a lot of the time I loose interest when waiting for the second version to come out; sometimes not even bothering to then buy either one. With the double dip I might as well go ahead and rent the standard version then if I'm still interested pick up the other version.

Chris S.

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to second Gary_O's suggestion regarding PDL being a risky blind buy... Another comment about it being a love it/hate it type of movie could well be right...obviously with me (and others I know) falling into the latter category... .02 FWIW. Wyatt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks