What's new

Any TV Guide collectors? And can I sell them? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Since this is a Home Theater forum, there must be some people who collect, or had collected TV Guides!
I have a collection of TV Guides from the late 70's through the 80's and 90's. Though the 90's could be spotty. I stopped caring about 10 years ago. I usually make an effort to keep the Fall Preview issues. All pretty much new looking, just yellowed.
I was cleaning out some junk and found a few more piles and realized that I wanted to get rid of it all. Found special issues on Star Wars Episode 2, and The Beatles and most if not all the Star Trek issues of recent spin off shows.
Is there anyone with info on if and what companies or websites that would be interested in them? Hate to toss them. Not looking to cashing in as I realistically don't expect much for them!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I had found one site and emailed them questions, but they never replied.
Maybe I could put them on eBay, but not really interested in that much effort unless its worth my time. I may keep some of the favorite ones, cut covers off others to use as artwork. Thanks for any advise!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd put them up on eBay before you tossed them. It might take a while to note all the issues, the condition and if they're complete but I'd put them up as one lot and see what happens.

EDIT: I took a look at eBay and it doesn't seem like they're going for any money. However, I didn't see any auctions that really matched the size of your collection either. Do you have most/all of the issues from the late '70's to early '90's? If so, I'd put it up on eBay (even if take a month or two to write up all the issues, etc.) and just start the auction at $1 and take what you can get. If it only sells for a buck, it's a buck more than you would have had if you throw them away.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
Maybe matt from x-entertainment would want them. dunno. worth a shot.
I seem to remember homer simpson had piles of old tv guides in his basement (PIIIIILLLLEEEE ... SHAZAM,) but I doubt he would want them.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
You could check and see if there are any comic book conventions in your area. I have a friend that runs some in the Midwest. I think some of the TV guides are collectible but only specific ones, IIRC.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have a small collection of old TV Guides. There used to be a great store in Cary, NC that sold them called "American Nostalgia." They also sold other old magazines, old records, toys, memorabilia, and even CED videodiscs. I could have spent hours at a time in that store, but it's gone now. I miss it.
When my grandmother died, my mom found some fairly worn TV Guides from the 1970-1971 season in her house.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have somewhere in my apartment 2 very old TV Guides (from the first year). I have promised them to someone when I do find them. Give a month's before tossing

jason6502

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
hey i have 90 tv guides from 1960-1969 will sell cheap and they r all n good shape u interested contact me here or 706-237-2356

DerrickLee2012

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrick Lee Anderson
I am looking for the following editions of TV Guide:
* Carolina-Tennessee (1970s)
* Knoxville-Chattanooga (1980s)
* Kentucky (1970s-1980s)
* Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City (1980s)
* Charlotte (1980s)
* North Carolina (1970s)
* Northern Alabama (1970s)
* Southern Alabama (1970s)
* Gulf Coast (1970s)
I have six issues of TV Guide that I am putting up for trade. I am not going to sell these, but as I said, I am putting up these issues for trade. The six issues of TV Guide I have are as follows:
(1) TV Guide - 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends [August 1-7, 2004; Knoxville-Chattanooga]
(2) TV Guide - Patrick Duffy [December 3-9, 1977; Los Angeles Metropolitan]
(3) TV Guide - Ed Asner [October 15-21, 1977; Los Angeles Metropolitan]
(4) TV Guide - Soap [November 26-December 2, 1977; Los Angeles Metropolitan]
(5) TV Guide - Secrets of Lost [October 24-30, 2004; Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City]
(6) TV Guide - Returning Favorites [September 19-25, 2004; Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City]
If interested, send me an email at [email protected] and we'll set something up. I look forward to hearing from you.

bpatrick

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Patrick
Jason:
Do you still have any? I'm looking for Georgia (Atlanta) editions from 1965-69 and would
be interested in knowing what, if anything, you have. Contact [email protected].
Best,
Bob Patrick

bpatrick

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Patrick
jason6502 said:
hey i have 90 tv guides from 1960-1969 will sell cheap and they r all n good shape u interested contact me here or 706-237-2356 
Do you still have any? I'm looking for Georgia (Atlanta) issues from 1965-69. Contact me at [email protected].
Best,
Bob Patrick

DerrickLee2012

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrick Lee Anderson
Another place that has old issues of TV Guide is Amazon.com and it is where they have TV Guide issues from the 1950s through today.
By the way, I have six issues of TV Guide that I am putting up for trade. I was going to keep these, but have decided to put them for trade. I have three Los Angeles Metropolitan issues of TV Guide from 1977, two Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City issues of TV Guide from 2004, and one Knoxville-Chattanooga issue of TV Guide from 2004.
If anyone is interested in these issues, send me your have lists and we'll set up a trade.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
As I and many of this forums' members have discovered, once Ebay really took off, we discovered that things we may have are not nearly as rare as we expected and prices have dropped tremendously. With many things, it's not even worth the effort to try and sell them.
That said, think of how many millions of TV guiides are out there. A lot were tossed, but there are probably plenty of people who collected issues they thought might be rare. Couldn't even fatham a guess, but there are probably thousands of copies of same issues you want to sell.
I wish you luck, but I've got a lot of what I thought were "rare" items, including some very expensive glassware my grandparents have had since the 30s and 40s, that I've discovered hundreds of other people also have. Not so rare at all.
If you have something you think is rare, there are probably 10,000 or more of them out in the market place. The occasional Antiques Roadshow item shows up, but rarely
Good luck

DerrickLee2012

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrick Lee Anderson
I want to update this topic by saying this: I did find a number of TV Guide Knoxville-Chattanooga issues from the 1980s and 1990s at a local flea market for 25 cents. As a matter of fact, I was there today and thought that I had gotten all of those. Well then, I noticed a couple of old Reader's Digest magazines and below them was about 6 or 7 TV Guide Knoxville-Chattanooga issues from the 1980s. If you are at a local flea market, you could come across a number of old TV Guide issues from your area.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not to sound even more negative than my post from last year, but unless you find a hoarder or some really odd collector, time to put them in the recycle bin.

zenmanv

Auditioning
Real Name
sam vain
Hello, I hope you still have them because I am looking for Sacramento issues from 1995 to 2004 for a personal project. Please let me know @ [email protected]. Thanks, Sage V.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks