What's new

Any RPTV that does not up-convert? (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Any brand of Digital Widescreen RPTV that will leave 480i, 480p, or 720p native?

Maybe asking to much for a "digital" TV too not scale a 480i.

However I even hate seeing & reading about the digital artifacts, I see & read about, with 480p upped to 1080i [or anything else].

Any brand do 480p, 720p, & 1080i native?

Thanks.

Was all 'pumped up' early this year to get a TV with a scaler on board. Then I get one [and go shopping for a differant one], and yuck!

John Royster

Screenwriter
mitsubishi will not upconvert 480p and leave 1080i alone. That is where mits shine - DVD and HD.

INPUT->DISPLAYED

480i->480p

480p->480p

540p->1080i ??? I think. ???

720p->1080i

1080i->1080i

HTH

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Big help.

If I am going to buy a RPTV w/o DVI, it will be the Mits.

Unless someone else can come up with another choice. I don't see the Mits on the BB site. And that's were my 'money' is at.

Will now find out if SVM is defeatable on the Mits.

Thanks a lot!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ed,

If BB=Best Buy, they don't carry Mitsubishi. Sears and Good Guys do.

The "Mitsubishi Promise" only extended to Firewire, not DVI or HDCP anyway.

BB does sell the Sony KPxxHW40 series, in either 51 or 57" sizes. These sets display 480i as either 480p with or without 3/2 pulldown (user selectable) or you can select 960i. 480p is displayed natively, but pulldown must be done by the player. 720p is downconverted to 480p, 1080i is displayed natively.

ABC is the only broadcaster doing 720p, and to the best of my knowledge only the DishNetwork box will output it natively.

All the other stbs convert the 720p to 1080i. My Tosh box (a Hughes clone) does this very nicely, can't tell ABC from native 1080i.

The older Sonys had really soft DRC (line doubling) but this has improved on the newer sets.

I have a KP57HW40 and am quite happy with it. Red push out of the box was much less than on the Mits sets, and can be easily eliminated completely in the service menu, as can SVM. I've done these 2 easy tweaks and nothing else, and the picture for dvd and HD is stunning. Weak analog cable looks nasty, but the better channels and most DirecTV channels are very watchable.

The Sony DRC and it's stretch modes also are quite a bit better than Mits' line doubling and stretch modes.

If you are really worried about the DVI/HDCP thing, the next generation of Sony Widescreen sets to be released this fall (sept or oct) will be fully compatible with these standards.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Pioneers.

Best Stretch Modes, and they don't upconvert either.

They also shine with HDTV and DVD.

It's funny how every HDTV is always compared to the Pioneer, as it is the "benchmark" that all sets are compared to.

I was going to go with the Mits myself, until I saw hw terrible the Sattelite picture was on it. They also suffer miserably from the dreaded red push.

Once I saw the Pioneer, there was nothing else that even came close!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the Pioneer SD533HD is a good one. Sony too. Hitachi does upconvert but does it better than Toshiba according to some people. Panasonic is least expensive and DOES not upconvert but is not as good looking picture as the SONY, Pioneer or even the Hitachi and Toshiba for HDTV. Just from my in store experience. I myself am looking for either the Sony or Pioneer, but the others are good too. It depends how picky your eye is. I have seen upconversion artifacts, so I choose to avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks