What's new

any Revel users here on HTF? (1 Viewer)

Bob Ahlberg

Agent
I recently purchased a pair of Revel performa F30 loudspeakers after listening to several other speaker lines. I heard the Paradigm Studio 100's and the Meadowlark Shearwaters. Each line has it's strengths to recommend it, but I was blown away by how real music I knew well sounded over the Revel's. when I found a "almost new" pair for $1k off list, I couldn't resist.

any other Revel owners here on HTF?

peace,

Bob

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
Yep. I have a modest Performa HT system:

M20 mains

C30 Center

S30 Surrounds

No B15 sub - it was not available when I bought, so I chose a Sunfire Signature. Very happy with the Sunfire, but I think the B15 is about the best there is. That's what I'd buy today if I started over again

I'm very happy - sounds great for reasonable $$$.

Cheers,

Chris

Tom Garcia

Auditioning
Hi Bob,

I have the Studios with S-30 surounds...looking for a fair priced Ultima CC to complete the HT mains speaker system. I am also currently using a Stryke Audio HE15-2 subwoofer for low freqs. Unfortunatly I have not had everything set-up for a few months...I'm waiting for Chris Zell to come help me "dial in" the system.

Dr. Zell, it's time for a visit!!!

Best regards,

Tom Garcia

Bob Ahlberg

Agent
:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks for the response! I can't wait to put the new Audio Research gear in line for two channel. I'm using a B&K Ref. 30 for a surround processor.
Bob

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I also have a pair of the F-30s. I was about to buy the Vandersteen 3A Signature until I heard the F-30 speakers. I really love the Vandies but the midrange of the F-30 really sold me. I saw a pair on Audiogon and noticed that the owner lived about 10 minutes from my house. They were in mint condition and the owner would sell and deliver to my house for $2400. I took the savings and bought the Rotel 1090 two channel amp to power them. Along with a pair of DH Labs silver bi-wired speaker cable. That's the good news. The bad news is I moved from a house to a apartment ( short term ). And all my equipment is boxed up and waiting to be unleashed again. I'm also going to replace my SVS drivers this month and then box them up also. And Mondial will be taking my Act-3 and sending me a new Stage One Preamp Processor. And unless I move by the time it shows up. It will also remain in a box. I really do love my Revel and can't wait to have them back up and running.

Enjoy yours!

JackIR

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the Revel family!!

I have two F30's (front L&R), C30 and 3 S30's. I never get tired of listening to these speakers. Just love that midrange.

Bob Ahlberg

Agent
The "live" sound of the midrange is what sold me as well. Right now I'm listening to them through my Rega Planet 2000 and my B&K processor. It sounds nice and smooth, but nothing like the tubes I had when I first bought them.

I'll be using them with some new Audio Research tube gear when it gets here (within a month). I can't wait. My next step will be to get the center. I'm using a NHT center right now...which isn't a bad match, it just can't match the articulation in the midrange.

Bob

KeithR

Second Unit
The thing I hate about the F30s is that they are so dang ugly!

Seriously though, nice choice. Revel makes a nice speaker package.

DennisZ

Agent
I have the F30 fronts, C30 center and 2 M20s for the surrounds. Powering all with Acurus amps. Love the clarity
midrange is just alsome. Also running 2 SVS 20-39+ with
Samson S1000 amp. Movies and music just rock.
Love the Revels
:D
Dennyz

rich wu

Auditioning
Another happy Revel owner here. My main speakers are Ultima Studios. The center is Voice and sides are Embrace. The rears are M20 and a B15 for sub. I had a pair of F30 that I used as rear speakers but they were a little too big.

The front and center speakers are each driven with Krell FPB 250M monoblocks. The rear and sides are driven with a Citation 7.1 amp.

I think the best value in the Revel line is the M20.

PaulXH

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in the Revel F30's. I have read some reviews that say you need a lot of power to drive them. I have a Conrad-Johnson 2250 that is 125 watts pushing my mains. Is that enough power?

Paul

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
PaulXH,
I was using a Rotel 1095 with my F-30 and they sounded very good. But, hooking up the Rotel 1090 (380wpc@8ohmX2 ) made a huge difference. It took some volume when using the 1095 for me to get the sound and detail from the Revel that I wanted. The 1090 puts out 500wpc@6ohmX2 and even at low listening levels. Everything I expected from them comes out. Many people equate big power with loudness. IMO, big power means better detail at lower listening levels. My advise is don't scrimp on power when it comes to quality speakers. They will thank you for it. :)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
congrats on great speakers, I almost got a pair (my finalists came to the B&W 804 and the Revels-the Revels are AWESOME!!!!). My uncle has a Revel Studio/salon set up that is soooo nice to listen to.

now just sit back and enjoy the music (there is a coorelation between me recieving new gear and the decrease in time I spend here)

PaulXH

Stunt Coordinator
I have joined the club! I ordered a pair of F30's and a C30 in Rosewood yesterday. I am going to hook them up to my Sunfire amp 600watts driving 6ohms loads!!! Oh what fun!

Paul

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Congratulation Paul,
I also have the Rosewood. With that much power to the Revel your jaw may need help off the floor. :)
What are you using for a Pre/Pro?
What speaker cables and interconnects are you running to the equipment?
What other equipment will be in the chain? I.E. CD player, line cleaner/conditioner, DVD player etc.
What is the size and characteristics of your room?
Are you using a big box TV between your speakers?
Looking forward to your impressions and responses.

PaulXH

Stunt Coordinator
Darrel,

I have a Sunfire Theater Grand III pre/pro.

My speaker cables are Audio Quest Type 4 bi-wired. My interconnects are all better cables.

My DVD player is the Sony 900V. I have a Monster HTS 3500 line conditioner, and a iScan Pro line doubler.

My room is 22X25.

And yes, I have a Mitsubishi WS-65809 TV.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
PaulXH,
I'm using some PSB's for my center and surrounds with my M20's... but that's because I'm biased to 2 channel and don't feel the need to match the quality of home theater speakers to my stereo speakers.
Amp questions are difficult to answer, as it becomes a bit of personal taste. For instance, a few people have been suggesting that I try tubes with my M20's. :)
My local Revel dealer uses Bryston/Lexicon amps to power all their Revel products.
I guess I'm not helping much... the only advice I can give is the obvious... you won't need as much power for your C30 and M20's as you do for your full range F30's.
I would focus on finding a 2 channel amp that you enjoy for your F30's and then buy a smaller multi-channel amp of the same brand for the rest of your system... but that's my 2 channel bias showing again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks