What's new

Any release dates for Neon Genesis Eva movie? (1 Viewer)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
March, 2002, if no more delays are preventing Manga Entertainment from delaying the movies more just to get it right.
K.C.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Any release date, no matter how late, is worth it for these movies. I've seen them, and the first one is masterfully edited (though there is only a little bit of new footage) and the second one is just mindblowingly amazing.
I had heard a while ago that December would see the VHS and then next year we would get the DVD. If they delayed it even further, then they must be making a great package. There are a lot of things that they could put on the discs, such as the red cross book or the radio drama, and I hope to god that they are.
Wow. Evangelion has reached "when is the release date" status. I thought it might have ended up in the middle of an anime thread or something but no.

Ken_Pro

Grip
I can't wait for these movies....I've got the fansubbed End of Evangelion and it's just a great movie. Though I do love the series ending, this is one heck of a substitute!

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
I, too, got the fansub of Death/Rebirth and End of EVA.
biggrin.gif

Most fansub distributors do not have it for sale or trade anymore due to the fact Manga got the distribution rights to them a couple years back. Luckily I was able to get the movies before they all stopped saling it.

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
I was at the NDK convention a few weeks ago, and Keith Burgess of Manga was there with some clips (6 minutes worth) from the EoE movie showing off their new dubbing. Looks like they got the entire dub cast from the ADV releases except that Keith himself is now voicing Hyuga.
The DVD of the two movies will indeed be released in March 2002 (the VHS in January). They couldn't get the rights to everything in the Red Cross book, but the DVD will contain some of it, along with some dub outtakes and character bios. They are also hoping to do an interview with director Hideaki Anno soon, to be included on the disc. It will have a double disc case with a big booklet and cost MSRP $29.99. Audio will be English 5.1, and hopefully Japanese 5.1 also, but maybe just 2.0. I don't remember him saying anything about whether it was going to be anamorphic or not. I hope it will be, but I'm not holding my breath. Blood: The Last Vampire was anamorphic, so maybe there is hope.
--Rog

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the Japanese voices are 2.0 since they didn't get a 5.1 track and aren't putting one on there.
The fact that the Eva movies, something that has been considered so "Japanese" for the last 4 years, is coming to America makes this such a big event for fans of the series all over North America.
I, too, got a fansub, but from a friend. I also read some fansub scripts, so its not like I got a bad fansub or anything.
I wish they had gotten the Red Cross book. You can find it on the internet.
To tell the truth, the movies don't give a different ending of the series or a more straightforward one. Imagin Planet of the Apes being the series' ending and then the movies (the second one more) being the 2001 PotA. Its kinda like a reinvisioning, not a remake. There are some inconsistancies between the two endings, but the movies are better and seem to make more sense.
Both movies are excellent. I suggest watching the first one and then thinking how the Japanese thought when they saw the ending. They must've been pissed! (the first movie ends where the middle of the second movie is. If you don't understand, you'll see).

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
I spoke too soon. The Manga website is now saying that Death & Rebirth is coming out on Apr 30, 2002, and Evangelion the Movie is due on July 30, 2002. Each are $29.95 SRP. I thought they said the movies were being released in a single package, but I guess I was wrong there too.
This just gets worse and worse...
--Rog

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They never planned on releasing them together.
The dates being pushed back sucks, but there is always a reason (and hopefully a good one).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Just a suggestion, if you have the episode discs, don't bother with Death&Rebirth, it's just a rehashing of the TV series with a couple of minutes of new throwaway footage
And if you don't have the episode discs, you'll be too confused to understand End of Evangelion anyway
For the record, it seems that EoE was 2.0 Surround theatrically. Probably because in 1997 very few Japanese theaters had Dolby Digital sound (the 3 I was in in VERY big/expensive areas of Tokyo) only had stereo. The Japanese DVD is 2.0 as far as I know, so I doubt they have a 5.1 track. Though, if Manga wants to mix one, fine with me
wink.gif

Jeff Kleist

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Hello,
I just finished watching the Series, and checked this thread and was dismayed to see that the other half of the ending, EoE, won't be out for what looks like 8 months.
Meanwhile, is there a web site that has details of the original series ending episodes versus the revised ones, the uproar that caused the change, and the movies' content versus the content of those episodes?
Thanks!

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Yes, there are, Ken.
You may read the altered versions in script form at http://www.evaotaku.com . I hope this is the right link.
It also gives detailed info about the movies, so read it if you want to be spoiled.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jeff actually explained some of this to me and made it make sense:
The ending from the movies is the original ending, extended because its a movie and not a TV show. The TV show ending was made because of the lack of funds and the public pressure about the show (PTA was pissed). So the TV ending is a lighter version of the movie ending. They both sort of end the same way and play off of eachother, but the movie ending is...better.
The original Japanese audio was 2.0 because not many anime directors thought 5.1 was a big deal and thought it would ruin their film by putting too much focus on the sound and the environment than the actual film and story. I don't mind 2.0, since I will be reading subtitles or listening to the english anyway (which is 5.1).
Even though the first movie is pointless, I found it to be interesting and quite artistic, so its definitely a purchase for me.
I hope Manga does the Eva discs like the Akira ones with the optional pill thing (they leave everything on screen in Japanese and there is an option to have a symbol pop up that will tell you what everything on screen translated into English is).
I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Yes, there are, Ken.
You may read the altered versions in script form at http://www.evaotaku.com . I hope this is the right link.
It also gives detailed info about the movies, so read it if you want to be spoiled.
Thanks for the link, Kong. I've seen a lot of those scenes in question, but obviously only in raw Japanese. I've also seen the TV series itself twice all the way through, and my memory is sharp enough to where I was able to play through those scenes with the added dialogue and animation in my head. Wow, I had no idea it could be that intense again...even without any other stimulus but words on a computer screen.
God, I can't wait for the movies to be released... What could be taking them this long? Even as of a few months ago, the release date was going to be October...of this year. I'm a little confused as to what could possibly have come up that would delay the release for nearly a whole year.
------------------
www.DigitalHoard.com
Petition: get Family Guy released on DVD!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you thought reading it was intense, just imagine watching it!
I personally can't wait to see what they do with Death and Rebirth. Why am I so excited about a re-edit of pivotal moments from the series? Because they are masters at editing. The whole series was edited very well, and it also was in the movies. I really want to see how the added scenes sound in english, along with the ones they had to redub.
Are they releasing the movies separate or in a box? Or are they releasing separate and a box?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks