What's new

Any R L Burnside fans out there? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to decide between a Ass Pocket Full of Whiskey and Too Bad Jim. I think I remember a song from A Ass Pocket Full of Whiskey on 120 minutes a long time ago.

Dang that Martin Scorsese Blues thing. :) I'm also getting the Robert Johnson complete recordings, and just got the American Folk Blues Festival 1962-1966 DVDs. Both the SJ and SF papers said that these DVDs were better than the Martin Scorsese thing.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey Kevin
Guess Who?
We really do have a lot of similiar tastes.
I have Mr Wizard and a few other songs on samplers.
I would get "ass pocket" on the title alone
Grant

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Grant- I was thinking to email you first, but I figured if you saw this, you'd post here anyway. :) Also thinking about Burnside on Burnside too... "Too much music, too little time and money!"

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Big Bad Love soundtrack, which I picked up for the Tom Wait's songs, has a couple of tunes by R L Burnside, including a cover of Dylan's Everything Is Broken.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, you should pick up Too Bad Jim.

It was produced by the late writer/producer Robert Palmer. Its really an essential blues album. (You should also pick up another Palmer produced album by the late Junior Kimbrough, All Night Long).

Pocket of Whiskey was done in collaboration with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. If you like their stuff you may also enjoy this album. I have it but don't recommend it to people.

The Fat Possum label is having a sale on all CDs and has a generous policy with LPs (30 day return if you don't like the album).

KrisM

Second Unit
I would recommend listening to Ass Pocket first. It is not an album I would suggest. I personally can't stand it.
I keep meaning to check out the live disc, as I absolutly loved seeing R.L. live about eight years ago, but I just don't enjoy his recordings all that much. I find that the Fat Possum discs are really hit and miss.

Regards
KrisM

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Lee- I know. :)

I just got outbid on Too Bad Jim on ebay. :frowning: I have to check out the Fat Possum web site...

Thanks all!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Let me know if you ever want me to see if Amoeba has something.
They generally do!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to post a follow up. I ended getting a Ass Pocket of Whiskey and Too Bad Jim so far. Now I know why people don't recommend Ass Pocket. I do like it, but Too Bad Jim is way better. Jon Spencer sort of "drowns out" RL on Ass Pocket. Got to get some more. (To be honest, I'm kind of surprised I like him so much! :) )

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I remember an article I read many years ago on him. He was in prison on a murder charge. He pleaded self defense even though he shot the guy in the back.
The interviewer asked if he felt bad about killing someone.
He responded ,"I never killed anyone. I shot a man, dying was between him and God"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks