What's new

any polk owners? (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I was looking at JBL s38 series 1, but I went to Best Buy and they sounded like crap to me. Then I went to Circuit City and listened to the Polk Reference series. Damn, they sounded awesome! They were the R30 speakers, the lowest line of polk towers. My budget is limited to around 700. I am also looking into getting a Velodyne sub-CHT 12 for my 11 by 12 room. Tell me what speakers you have. All help is greatly appreciated. I got a home theatre in a box last year and I am upgrading the speakers and sub first. If you are looking to sell anything let me know that too. Thanks a lot.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
RT800i (mains), CS400i (center), CS245i (2 for surrounds). Definitely not for sale!

Join Club Polk if you are interested in acquiring used Polks for sale.

The LSi series is hands down the best sounding Polk has ever made, but the RTi series is still damn fine.

Regards,

Ed

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup:Another thumbs up for the Lsi line up! With your budget you might want to find a place to audition the Lsi9's, i think you'll be quite impressed
BTW, Welcome to the HTF!!

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
I have some rt2000's and a cs300 center channel I'm willing to sell if you are interested. Speakers are still under warranty and I bought them from crutchfield about a year ago. They are in excellent shape. The rt2000's have duel 8" subs and amp built in each. They stand about 4 feet tall. Email me by clicking on my profile button if you are interested.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Hi again Shawn. I have two Polk rt25i speakers and a Polk cs245i center. For the rear I have two older polks. I really like the setup. The replacements for the 25i speakers are the rt-28i I believe. I think Crutchfield had the rt25i speakers on sale for $99 each. That is a good deal on a speaker that got good reviews compared to others in its price range. Circuit City had them for $99 each but most are out. Do a search in the forums for the rt-25i for other opinions.

Another thought is Klipsch. Have you looked at their entry line too? I think they are good but I have not heard them. They are real clear because they use horns instead of tweeters. Some people like that and some do not. It is personal opinion.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Shawn, if you are really looking into getting some Polk's wate it out just a little. CC always has most Polk speakers on some type of sale in mid December. Or hay if your local CC is hiring seasonal help try to get a job & get them at half off;) Thats no joke..
BTW, I have a CS400i center, RT55i mains, RT55i front surrounds, & whatda know RT55i rear surrounds too.
The only thing I don't care for to much with the Polk's is the highs seamed kinda harsh to me at first but I have last years models with the tri lam metal tweeter & the newer ones have some new silk poly tweeter so they may be a little more tame.

Shawn.G

Second Unit
The ones im looking at have the silk tweeter. Does anyone know what that compares to a titamium tweeter(like JBL's)?

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
I have 6 RTi70's and a CSi40 center channel. I use a 15" kicker XPL for the sub. This sounds great. Sorry to hear I got them before the sale. It may be worth the new movies coming out latley like AOTC, that movie with Harrison Ford, and FOTREE which I have not seen yet. I don't see a use for the dipole speakers adn I prefer a matching set. My room is 30 X 12. My previous RM6600 series I was using for the surrounds was ok I just didn't want to mount my them on walls again. I have tore up the walls enough doing that already. I was able to cover up some with the new screen but the left and right wall look pretty bad even though they are black. I even left the last mount (out of 4 positions) on the wall because it looks better than a scab looking thing there.

I think that reference volume is a little to loud now. I wanted refrence volume but somehow I jumped from decent volume and quality to frightningly loud but very good quality. I just asume that most movies are louder than the refrence volume by THX. THX certified movies at refrence volume is berable but can become overwhelming. Movies that are not THX seem to have volumes that get louder at certain parts of the movie and quiet at other times. I'm trying to find a volume that anybody else could be confortable with and it seems to be about - 9 DB so far.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
CS400 (center)
RT55's (mains)
RT25i's (surrounds)
DIY Sonotube Sub
Just FYI, you can build a sub cheaper than what you'll buy that Velo for and get twice the preformance.
Peace Out~:D

yung cheng

Grip
i have R10(2X$29) front, R175i($69)center, psw-350($199) sub, advent bookself I(2X$10) for rear.(most from Fry's)
my room is 12X15 and my receiver is H/K avr520.
it's loud enough and it sounds better everyday.

Jon Alan

Auditioning
RT35 - Front L/R
CS245 - Center
FX300 - Surrounds
Some old JBL sub - next in line for an upgrade

I'm very happy with the sound of the Polks. I have a small room (11 x 13), so the bookshelves work very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks