What's new

Any other dog and cat owners having problems with fleas this year? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
This is a terrible year for my pets and I with fleas. Since it was a wet spring, and hot summer, the fleas have been rampant here. My back yard is a mixture of woods, swamp, and sand, so that's where they come from I think.

Since my dogs are out alot, they keep getting loaded with fleas, no matter how many times I comb them, wash them, or put flea repellant on them. And in return, when they come in my cats get the fleas off the dogs. It doesn't matter if the dogs are out there in the yard for 5 minutes, or 5 hours, they still get alot after having other fleas removed.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No problems here. I have a dalmation and they are the anti-flea dogs. Because of the acid they produce in their skin, it kills the flea eggs before they hatch, thus no fleas.
I also bug spray the yards once every 3 months to ward off fleas (and all other bugs).
Peace Out~:D

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Dear Stephen...every year.

You did not mention, have you tried the once a month flea oils such as Frontline or Advantage?

I use Advantage and since I started several years ago, I have never had to bomb the house, or put chemicals on the yard to control those major outbreaks.

I am greatly concerned about putting the chemicals involved directly on my pets, but I have a Lab/Rotti mixed male who displays severe allergic reactions to fleas. Rather than starting to scratch as a normal dog would, he starts chewing huge holes in his side, the second he gets one flea. Although concerned about the long term effects of the single chemical application each month it beats the literally hundreds of dollars and pounds of chemicals I had to deal with before the advent of Advantage to keep him happy and healthy.
In the past I used regularly, flea shampoos, sprays, - rated to apply directly to the animal, spray for the yard, the house. Bombs indoors whenever the season was worse than usual and they gained a foothold in carpeting. Pounds of man-made dry chemicals, and organic powders every year on the yard. I had to do it all. I did not try the oils the first few years they were available.

Well, I finally broke down and decided the oil alone was less scary if it could control the outbreaks. Not once since starting the oil, have I had to purchase any of the other methods, and fleas have never since gained hold in the house even though I quit treating the yard years ago. Costs me just about 100 total to purchase a 6 month supply for 1 dog, one cat, at the vet. I’ve priced it at PetMeds.com its just as cheap at the vet, so I support his office overhead with my purchase.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I haven't had any problem with my two Black Labs. I give them Frontline Top Spot every month from spring until the fall

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'm a dog owner and I don't have any fleas. My 2 dogs don't have any fleas either. :)
I use Advantage, it may make their necks stink a little but they don't get fleas.
White Terrier and Chihuahua/Corgy

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Ditto on the Advantage and Frontline Plus or Topspot. For cat folks, I also recommend Revolution, since it prevents heartworms.
I remember just a few years ago, my poor dogs would be crawling with fleas every summer. When we bathed and dipped them (every week) the water would be red with blood. Yuch.
Much better now. :)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I should also tell you about a co-worker that was having a terrible time this year with ticks at their weekend home in Wisconsin. Despite monthly Topspot applications, she was still finding some ticks now and then. Her vet gave her a Frontline spray that she was able to use in conjunction with the normal monthly applications. After she started using it, the tick problem disappeared. I assume it is probably effective with fleas as well.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
My dog brought some in the house for the two cats - but it wasn't that bad this year. they are all on Advantage and that cleared up the problem.

Craig

Second Unit
Advantage works fine on my cat. I buy off the internet, prices are much lower than the local Vet's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks