What's new

Any opinions on the name Wyatt? (1 Viewer)

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Every few months or so a thread appears where somebody asks what parents where thinking when they named their kids, so I am allowing you all to weigh in before the damage is done.

We are having a boy in about a month and my wife really likes the name "Wyatt". I like the name too, but grew up in a generation where the name was generally not used outside the context of Wyatt Earp, so I'm a little afraid that the name might be a little too "out there". I've been told that the name is a little more popular these days, so I would especially be interested in the opinions of our younger members.

My wife's second choice is "Jackson", but I'm not as fond of it (although I know it is very popular today).

So what are your opinions?

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Well let me offer my opinion.
Wyatt to me I think of Wyatt Earp. Thats my first thought.
Second I think of Wyatt from Weird Science (which I thought was kinda nerdy.)
But I also think the name Wyatt is a very strong name. Bold and its definetly remebered.

My wife like the name Jackson better.
I would go with wyatt. Jackson would slowly turn into JACK and that may not be whay you want.:D

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Whatever you do, don't tell your friends who are also having kids your name choices. Around these parts, name-stealing seems rampant. We have a pregnant friend who liked Regan. A mutual friend just had a baby and named her ... Regan. She almost mentioned Reece, and sure enough... You get the idea. So, whatever you do, if you decide on a "must-name", keep it to yourself.:)

We named our daughter Dorienne Jean, after my mother (Doris Jean) who passed away a month before my 5th birthday. We call her Dori or occasionally Dori Jean. My wife stipulated that no one will ever call her D.J. Not wishing to incur her wrath, I've taken to calling our dog (a beagle) Barney, Smeagol. She's equally irritated by that, but Barney doesn't seem to mind (and strangely, responds to it since the 2nd time I used it).;)

Wyatt's fine, if you (and he) can put up with the inevitable "Howdy, Pardner" that I'm sure he'll get. I'm waiting for the first time Dori comes home from schooling crying for being called "Dori the Whore-y.":rolleyes

Todd

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Whatever you name your child, PLEASE USE THE TRADITIONAL SPELLING!!!

Save him tons of time from dealing with the pharmacy, DMV, Medical Office, bank, tax office, etc.. etc..

-Jasen

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My wife and I are starting to throw around names for our second child (due in October). We have plenty of time to pick-n-choose but so far our top picks are;

Boy....Zachary
Girl...Isabella

Personally, I try not to pick names that jump out and remind me of another person. With Wyatt, although a cool name, first thing I think of is Wyatt Earp.

Peace Out~:D

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the responses so far.

Personally, I try not to pick names that jump out and remind me of another person. With Wyatt, although a cool name, first thing I think of is Wyatt Earp.
I agree, which is why I posted this question. However, I understand that Wyatt is a more common name now, so this automatic association with Wyatt Earp may not occur with today's kids (i.e. they may have grown up knowing a couple of Wyatts before they even heard of Wyatt Earp). This is part of the reason I am interested in hearing the opinions of our younger members.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Kurt Russell has a son named Wyatt. You would think that it would be a stand out name but when he says the name it sounds just as normal as if he were saying Chris, Bill or Mike.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Why would a name reminding you of someone else be a bad thing? Should I scratch Denzel off of my favorite names list because of Mr. Washington? I think not.

My vote for Wyatt would be :emoji_thumbsup:

It's cool, it's different, and it's not one of those WTF were your parents thinking when they named you that handles.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who objects to the name Wyatt, tell them the law is coming! You tell them I'm coming . . . and Hell's coming with me! You hear?! Hell's coming with me!!!

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
In case you were interested, Wyatt Means "brave in war", derived from Old English wig "war" and heard "brave, hardy". A fitting name for the times we are living in at the moment. I don't think kids today will make that connection to Wyatt Earp like an adult would. Good strong name, I say go for it.

By the way, Congrats! One other thing I should tell you is that my wife was supposed to have a boy too (4 ultrasounds with the same verdict) but when the day came our beautiful daughter came out instead. Have a girls name picked out too just incase ;)

Dean

Ike

Screenwriter
Whatever you do, don't know him Dylan. God how I loathe how that name has been tainted.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Look out everyone, here comes Wyatt Burp! :D

I've never heard of another person named Wyatt (I'm 30), but Wyatt Earp springs immediately to mind.

Don't know how I feel about Jackson either. I've always thought using traditional last names as first names is rather pretentious.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I think you should name him "Seven". :)

I like Wyatt myself. I always think "Would this name be easy to understand over the phone?", and Wyatt is unusal but would still pass the phone test. :)

"Quiet, Wyatt!" Yeah, it has a nice ring to it. :)

/Mike

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Picking a name is definitely not an easy thing. It took my wife and I quite a while to pick one out for our son (due in Apr). We didn't want something that was too common or something that could be shortened for a nickname. I went through that whole Timothy-Timmy-Tim thing myself and don't want my son to have to deal with it. We had picked out the name Kyle a couple years back but a friend of mine had a second boy and named him Kyle. After many hours of scouring the baby names book, we both agreed on the name Logan and we're axiously awaiting his arrival. :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link where you can check on the popularity of baby names: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

Logan is the 31st most popular name in 2001 (last year with data), Wyatt is number 108. Both of those names were "up and coming" names, ranking higher every year on the list.

My name is getting less popular... slipped from #1 to #2 :D.

/Mike

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Nice link. My name has slipped 20 some spots over the last ten years. One thing I've always found interesting and attribute probably to the geographical area that I'm from, but I notice that I have never personnaly met another white male under about 40 years old named Charles. Kind of wierd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks