What's new

Any of you fancy lads hear any rumors of Cabin Boy? (1 Viewer)

I'm almost positive this has already been announced as one of Disney's upcoming no frills catalog releases.

Josh Davidson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jeremy, where did you get that info? Please tell me it is going to be an anamorphic widescreen transfer.

Josh Davidson

Stunt Coordinator
IGN lists the Sept. 3 release date, but no word on whether it will be widescreen or not.

**EDIT** DVD Empire has it on pre-order for $6.99, but they don't list any info on it at all.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Cool news, no I can replace my oft-played Laserdisc. I hope some more Get A Life discs are on the way, too.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
It was also part of that gigantic list of Disney titles that was discussed around here a few months ago. I think The Digital Bits also announced it. As for features, I somehow doubt it will have anything except a trailer. Yet somehow I feel it will be in widescreen.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
This is one I'll be buying. Now if only they'd release full season sets of Get A Life, and a disc of Action Family & FDR: A One Man Show, I'd truly be happy.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
As for features, I somehow doubt it will have anything except a trailer.
Actually, Disney's catalogue releases have been even so horrendous to not even include original trailers. Even discs with just a trailer and some production notes are considered "barebones" these days, but these discs LITERALLY do not have a single special feature. Let's just hope it's in widescreen, since many of these catalogue releases are also P&S-only and several of those September 3 $9.99 SRP are just that -- barebones and P&S. :thumbsdown:

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Luke,

Care to elaborate on which titles are going to be P&S only on September 3?

I'm holding on to my WS LD of Cabin Boy for the time being as I expect the worst (and the picture and sound quality of the LD is actually pretty good).

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Care to elaborate on which titles are going to be P&S only on September 3?
Only ones I know for certain at this point are the 4 Ernest movies coming out that day, and I'd suspect a number of those other $9.99 SRP will get the P&S-barebones treatment.

Here's the complete list of BV titles coming out that day with $9.99 SRP:

Aspen Extreme
Baby: Secret Of The Lost Legend
Betsy's Wedding
Cabin Boy
Captain Ron
Celtic Pride
Disorganized Crime
Ernest Goes to Camp
Ernest Goes to Jail
Ernest Saves Christmas
Ernest Scared Stupid
First Do No Harm
Gross Anatomy
Heartbreak Hotel
Indian Summer
Mr. Destiny
My Boyfriend's Back
Prefontaine
The Program
The Pupper Masters
Spaced Invaders
Swing Kids
The War At Home
Washington Square

Don't know as to which will be P&S and which will be OAR, but expect to be disappointed on many of these titles.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I thought in the discussion with one of the Disney guys at Digital Bits (and correct me if I'm wrong), they said that, of the films being released on 9/3, only the films they considered family titles would be released P&S. I don't think Cabin Boy would qualify as a family title, so hopefully it will be WS. My biggest disappointment is that this is getting a bareboned release. I'd love to hear a rambling, incoherent commentary by Chris.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I thought in the discussion with one of the Disney guys at Digital Bits (and correct me if I'm wrong), they said that, of the films being released on 9/3, only the films they considered family titles would be released P&S.
They might have said that but these "family" films have also been released exclusively in P&S in the past two months:

The Scarlet Letter (R, 1995-Demi Moore)
Taking Care of Business (R)
Krippendorf's Tribe (PG-13)

It's certainly not that any film that clearly could not be labeled "family film" escapes the P&S radar. And there doesn't seem much method to Disney's madness.

I hope those 9/3 titles are OAR, but I fear they will not be. Titles which were widescreen on laserdisc are more likely to be widescreen on DVD, though obviously that is not always true (Scarlet Letter, Muppet Treasure Island).

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
gee, if they did a special edition of UHF, why couldn't they at least slap a commentary on this one?

Sarah S

Second Unit
How many of these titles are released widescreen in other regions? I'm saving for a multi-region player & was thinking of holding off on the P&S titles & just getting them from the UK or somewhere where they are released in OAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks