What's new

Any news on a Carol Burnett Show DVD? (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Resurrecting an old thread, I notice that G-R are still selling the "Collectors Edition" Carol Burnett Show volumes on a subscription basis, but with new, different artwork.
Anybody know if they have put out any additional volumes beyond the 31 or 32 that Columbia House managed (before they shut it down), or is that all there is?

William B.

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Mark B
I read that Carol is not fond of the shows taped prior to 1972, and that's why we never see those first seasons represented on the re-cut half hour syndicated show "Carol Burnett and Friends," however season sets of all 11 seasons would be a dream come true.
The first five seasons of The Carol Burnett Show are mired in "dual ownership" rights, with TV producer and packager Bob Banner (whose company co-produced the show in those first five years) claiming co-ownership. From its 1967 premiere up to the 1971-72 season (or, to quote an oft-used phrase associated with commercial breaks, the "second half" of her original 10-year contract with CBS and Mr. Banner that was signed in 1962), the credited production companies were Burngood, Inc. (Ms. Burnett and then-husband Joe Hamilton) and Bob Banner Associates (Mr. Banner), in association with the CBS Television Network. The 1972-73 season was the first to be owned entirely by her; from then until some time in the 1976-77 season*, the credited production company was Punkin, Inc. (a.k.a. Punkin Productions, Inc. as they were listed in the end credits of Carol Burnett & Friends); for the rest of the show's run the production company was Whacko, Inc. I seem to remember the half-hour syndicated (and highly edited) CB&F was first made available to local stations beginning in the 1977-78 season, which may explain why nothing from that final season was edited for syndication. But as far as the DVD's go, it seems to figure that none of the shows from Dick Van Dyke's short-lived run as a regular following Harvey Korman's departure were among those shows selected for release (and those that were released, came from after Mr. Van Dyke left).

But back to the shows co-owned by Mr. Banner: I've been apprised that, forgetting for a moment the issue of music rights, if any other shows from that period were put out on DVD, he and Ms. Burnett would very barely break even on any sales, if at all.

But then, Ms. Burnett has also disavowed any and all knowledge of the 1964-65 series The Entertainers (also produced by Mr. Banner) which was originally co-hosted by her, Bob Newhart (who bowed out midway through its run, but would have a more profitable association with CBS via his 1972-78 and 1982-90 sitcoms) and Caterina Valente; however, some who saw some snippets from that show swear it wasn't all that bad.

And as for where the fabled "Dentist Sketch" originated: It came from the March 3, 1969 edition where, besides Mr. Conway, Ethel Merman was also a guest.

* I say "some time," because the Oct. 30, 1976 edition (guest Roddy McDowall) was a Whacko production, but the Nov. 13, 1976 show (guest Dinah Shore, with the now-famous "Went With the Wind!" sketch) was a Punkin production; I wonder if the latter was made before the former, regardless of airing order.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
i think it's safe to say that complete sets of this series will be very unlikely. I'd be happy with sets from the final, supposedly superior, seasons.

How hard would it be to get complete eps (not the edited syndies) back on television ? Would it involve the same nightmare that's prevented DVD releases ? I'm guessing yes.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by William B.
The first five seasons of The Carol Burnett Show are mired in "dual ownership" rights...

But as far as the DVD's go, it seems to figure that none of the shows from Dick Van Dyke's short-lived run as a regular following Harvey Korman's departure were among those shows selected for release (and those that were released, came from after Mr. Van Dyke left).
Thanks for the info on dual ownership, but you are incorrect about Dick Van Dyke's shows: I have all 31 volumes that Columbia House released, and they did release three of Van Dyke's episodes as a series regular from the Fall 1977 season: The Oct. 1 episode (on volume 28), they Oct. 29 episode (on volume 24) and the November 12 'family' episode (on volume 26).

William B.

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, thanks for apprising me about the three Van Dyke shows having come out on DVD. The problem, I saw some review of the first fifteen or so Burnett DVD's - and at that point, only three shows from 1978 were out.

That review also had an unfortunate typo: claiming that her Jan. 10, 1976 show (with Steve Lawrence) was from Jan. 10, 1970.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Originally Posted by William B.
Ah, thanks for apprising me about the three Van Dyke shows having come out on DVD. The problem, I saw some review of the first fifteen or so Burnett DVD's - and at that point, only three shows from 1978 were out.

That review also had an unfortunate typo: claiming that her Jan. 10, 1976 show (with Steve Lawrence) was from Jan. 10, 1970.
There are, actually, several typos on Columbia House's packaging itself, meaning you can't trust all the air dates on those. Luckily, I had a complete listing of all the guests/airdates (most with descriptions of the sketches) to help me figure out exactly which shows were on which volumes.

For those keeping score, here's what was released by Columbia House on volumes 1-31:

1972-73 SEASON: two shows (sixth season)
1973-74 SEASON: 14 shows
1974-75 SEASON: 11 shows
1975-76 SEASON: 15 shows
1976-77 SEASON: 14 shows
1977-78 SEASON: six shows

Anyone here know if Guthy-Renker managed to go beyond volume 31? I have a suspicion that they didn't, but would be curious to know.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
How complete are the Columbia House eps ? Have they been edited at all ? Or are they truly complete ?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Rain
How complete are the Columbia House eps ? Have they been edited at all ? Or are they truly complete ?

The episodes are the complete and uncut one-hour episodes. They even include the commercial-break bumpers.

If I remember correctly, the 'brought to you by' sponsorship plug was even left in on at least one episode (want to say it was one of the final-season shows), which really caught me by surprise!

William B.

Stunt Coordinator
AndyMcKinney said:
I had a complete listing of all the guests/airdates (most with descriptions of the sketches) to help me figure out exactly which shows were on which volumes.
I've found that the listing was not all that complete; virtually all online episode guides had a mixup - and omission - of shows from the 1975-76 season. Roddy McDowall's appearance was actually Nov. 1, 1975, but misdated on a famous online episode guide as Nov. 8, 1975; however, another show that actually aired Nov. 8 - with guest Helen Reddy - wasn't even mentioned. That show featured a sketch with Harvey Korman as French marine explorer "Jacques Touteau," sending out his hapless assistant "Pierre" (Tim Conway) on the hunt for the great white killer squid - a sketch I see has been put up on YouTube. In addition, the online guide mixed up the two Maggie Smith guest appearances of that season (what was misattributed to Nov. 15, 1975 actually aired Oct. 18, and vice versa); a more accurate representation of who was on what show, and which aired in what edition, can now be seen on IMDb.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
William B. said:
a more accurate representation of who was on what show, and which aired in what edition, can now be seen on IMDb.
Can someone post a link to this more accurate ep guide ? I have been unable to find it on IMDB.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
William B. said:
Fabulous. Thank you. I had printed out that old episode guide years ago to help me keep up with which ones were airing in syndication. It was never complete enough so I had given up on finding something more accurate.

Now if somebody would just find a way to get the original version of the eps back on TV.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I see that TV Shows on DVD have posted a news article about a new range of discs from Time-Life, including a 50-episode set, and various other configurations.
I guess it will remain to be seen, however, how much overlap there is with the Columbia House/Guthy-Renker releases, or if they are 100% recycled from those previous discs. One plus, though, is that these will be available to buy in stores, a first for complete episodes of this series.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
This is great news....but just like AndyMckinney said.....I want to see what episodes are being overlapped from the Columbia House and Renky sets. I hope there is new episodes on these.....in particular the "missing" FAMILY sketches. There is one that I would absolutely love to have that is missing from the Columbia sets, and that's where Eunice, Mama and Ed are playing the board game "Sorry". I sure hope this sketch is on the 20 disc set. Also hoping the new set contains other missing sketches from the Columbia House set like "Snow White: 7 (or is it 15?) years later", The sketch with the real CHARO (and Carol plays her mother), Any early episodes with Lucille Ball (I believe Lucy appeared on the show 3-4 times, and lastly the sketch with Tim Conway as the old man as a fireman trying to save Harvey's character from a burning building (hilarious). I have most of these recorded from T.V., (very chopped up, btw) and unfortunately, none of these sketches/shows are on the Columbia House / Renky sets. So hopefully this new set will contain new material. I will be somewhat disappointed if DVD's will contain the same episodes I already have, but happy it's being offered to the public so everyone can see what a great classic show this was!!! :D

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I wouldn't even be able to guess. And I honestly hope all the "BEST" episodes aren't on it. Because there's 278 episodes of the Carol Burnett Show, not just 50. If they put out all the "best" stuff in this set, there'll be nothing left for the next set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks