What's new

Any news on a Carol Burnett Show DVD? (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
After watching the TV specail the other night I sure would love to have the best of Harvey Corman or the best of the show so I can show my kids some day what their Dad loved to watch on TV.

I saw a VHS Tape that they advertised during the show (through columbia house) But I would love to have a DVD.

Thanks for the input, and who could I contact about finding out it a DVD could be made? Thanks

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I too would be interested in this series making a home DVD debate. Classic television at it's best.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Me, too! I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat! But I'd prefer season box sets.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wonder if anyone remembers the Gary Moore Show? Carol was a supporting performer on that show. It was the first time, that I know of, that Carol got national exposure.

I still remember an hilarious sketch from that show. Peter Piper was being tried in court. So there was Durwood Kirby, Gary Moore, and Carol acting out a trial scene with hilarous tongue twisters galore.

The climax of the bit was when they asked the court reporter to read back the testimony. The reporter turned out to be Marion Lorne. Marion's gig was that she stuttered. So here she is trying to read all the tongue twisters.

Well, you had to be watching. It was hilarious. There is so much great TV from years past. If they released it all, we'd all be bankrupt.

Read about some sad personal news regarding Carol Burnett in this morning's USA TODAY. According to the report, Carol almost didn't go through with the special because her daughter, Carrie Hamilton, was diagnosed in August with lung cancer which has spread to her brain! Carrie, now 38 years old, had to convince her mom to do the show as a form of therapy for herself.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Any one know who has the rights for the Carol Burnett show? I would love to start up a petition for them to look at. Thanks!

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
The main problem with releasing variety shows on video (VHS as well as DVD) are all the rights that have to be secured.

I remember when the Carol Burnett Show VHS tapes came out and people wnated the whole shows - not excerpts.

The problem was music rights, guest star royalties, and on and on ...

That maybe the reason for the lack of Variety Shows in their entirety on video.

I guess the most we can hope for are compilations ... like the Carol Burnett Reunion show ... if rights can all be secured.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, Columbia House has been releasing whole shows of The Carol Burnet Show on VHS for nearly a year, so it couldn't be simply a rights issue.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I would settle for a "Best of Carol Burnett" on dvd as long as it is about fours hours long to cover most of her funny skits with her sidekicks. :laugh:

DanFe

Second Unit
This is now over 2 years old thread, but we really could use some good old Carol humor on DVD right about now in season sets.

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
The Carol Burnett show is now available through mail order (from the same people that put out the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts). I see the infomercials all the time and if I recall correctly they are complete shows. Seeing the skits on these infomercials brings back lots of memories. Carol Burnett is so talented and the supporting players were awesome. I'll probably buy these.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Well this weekend, January 17 and 18, is the kick of of the show on TVLand with a two day marathon. If you go to their site, they have a list of the shows that are going to air with my guest including Lily Tomlin, Cher and the late great Vincent Price.

Though it is the syndicated Carol Burnett and Friends, it is better than nothing at all.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here you can read about the subscription releases by Guthy-Renker (the infomercial versions).
Apparently they are different than the ones offered by Columbia House's subscription club, even though CH produces both of them.
I suspect that, once the contracts run down a bit on those subscription offerings, Paramount will bring box sets out to retail stores. Just like with Lucy.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
18 of the Columbia House DVDs, 2 episodes each, just sold on Ebay for $355 and single discs are selling for high prices, too. Obviously there's an interest in this show. I read that Carol is not fond of the shows taped prior to 1972, and that's why we never see those first seasons represented on the re-cut half hour syndicated show "Carol Burnett and Friends," however season sets of all 11 seasons would be a dream come true.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I would love to have the clip of Tim Conway as the dentist working on Harvey Korman. A classic piece of television history and possibly the funniest ever captured on camera.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the few shows I would actually buy "Best Of" sets. There are SO many themed sets that they could do and get the "cream of the crop" put out for us to buy!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm guessing we'll never see complete season sets of this show because of Carol's dislike of the early seasons as well as the huge music rights issues. However, I also use to think this about Saturday Night Live which is now coming out in complete sets.

As far as the syndicated eps, they don't contain the original musical performances, are often badly edited and are taken from only the last 5 years of the show which were considered the best. Tim Conway did not become a regular cast member until later in the series run. This is when the show truly came into it's own.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Elena S said:
I would love to have the clip of Tim Conway as the dentist working on Harvey Korman. A classic piece of television history and possibly the funniest ever captured on camera.
that clip is on the special Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, that was released on VHS in 1995 by CBS Video (and later reissued by Columbia House with different boxart, which looked like the "Collectors Edition" packaging but with 1995 cast photos instead of "vintage" ones). No idea if CH ever put this onto DVD.
The first-issue VHS appears to be going for about $25 on Amazon marketplace, though I see one on eBay now with a "buy it now" of $5.97.
BTW, my all-time favourite sketch is the "Hitler hand puppet" one with Conway, Korman and Waggoner (the complete episode was released on one of the later Collectors Edition volumes. The funniest part of the sketch is included in the Reunion video above).

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The Columbia House DVDs are now out of print. They stopped the subcription thing a while back.

There are 32 volumes in the series of DVDs. Each with 2 complete shows.

As for the Guthy-Renker DVDs, I know that they offer a 5 volume set. The discs look exactly like the Columbia House series. It is my suspicion, and believe me I have no facts on this, that these are the left over discs from when Columbia House shut down there TV Video library subscriptions. That's just a suspicion, but since the discs and cases look exactly the same, I think it's a pretty good guess.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Brian Himes said:
As for the Guthy-Renker DVDs, I know that they offer a 5 volume set.
I'm surprised that's even still available! Would've thought they'd go OOP along with the CH ones. As you said, maybe they're just remainder stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks