What's new

Any news on a Carol Burnett Show DVD? (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
The only thing I know of that contradicts the statement about SD material on a Blu-ray disk is the Farscape release. My understanding is that the Blu-ray release was based on an upconverted PAL video master (576 lines of resolution), which is obviously also not HD.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Meanwhile, anyone want to talk about, you know, The Carol Burnett Show? Favorite episodes, scenes, etc?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have many fond memories of the show as kid as my parents love the show. I always like Tim Conway on the show as his many skits. I was not a big fan of lyle wagnoner or vicki lawrence, but i dd like harvey korman.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My absolute favorite "Family" sketch was when the group was cleaning out Mama's attic. Betty White's character is taking all of the good stuff and when Eunice complains, Mama tries to compensate with lesser stuff. I also adored the one where Maggie Smith played Bubba's teacher.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Remember when they go to visit brother Phillip, (Roddy McDowall, full accent intact) in Hollywood? Phil is a big shot with a great house and an amazing life, he's offering them the royal treatment, and they're all too busy bickering and too shortsighted to appreciate any of it. It takes them a while to realize he's gotten exasperated and left. Mama sums it up with "Phillip never did have any sense of family."

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Matt and T. Carter:
The "Family" sketches you each mention were previously released on the Columbia House volumes (as well as the 'original' Phillip sketch), so there's at least a decent chance those episodes will turn up, if not in this group of releases, then a future one, since they've already been cleared for release before!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
My favorites were the movie parodies. Just the names bring smiles to my face:
Rancid Harvest
Mildred Fierce
Waterloo Bilge
A Swiped Life
The Putrified Forest
Babes in Barns
Rebecky
The Enchanted Hovel

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The "Family" episode playing Sorry...Eunice gives up and Mama RELENTLESSLY attacks her. Carol Burnett TRIES (and fails)to keep a straight face until Vicki says, "You've got splinters in the windmills of your mind!" I seem to recall on a reunion show that either that line was improvised or just not ever rehearsed. They NEVER cared if they lost it...and it made the show all the more enjoyable!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
EricSchulz said:
The "Family" episode playing Sorry...Eunice gives up and Mama RELENTLESSLY attacks her.  Carol Burnett TRIES (and fails)to keep a straight face until Vicki says, "You've got splinters in the windmills of your mind!"  I seem to recall on a reunion show that either that line was improvised or just not ever rehearsed.  They NEVER cared if they lost it...and it made the show all the more enjoyable!
It came out later that Vicki improvised that line, which is fairly rare, and that's why Carol almost lost it. Carol has said that she wanted to keep it together as much as possible, (Feeling responsible in her position as leader, setting the example, etc.) you can see she ALWAYS tried hard not to crack up, and she often succeeded, so I think they CARED if they lost it, and she was a little better or experienced at holding it together.
Remember the clip when Tim goes on and on about the Siamese elephants? Watch the others, Carol included, start to cover their faces and turn away, trying to hold it together, and what finally puts them on the floor (including Tim) was an explicit ad-lib from Vicky. - if they just LET each other crack them up it wouldn't be as much fun, you know? So I agree that was GOLD, but I think it was because these were topnotch comedy professionals trying to BE professional and NOT crack up, and think THAT's what made it so much fun when they did. I agree that they often decided to air the one that ended up the most fun, but not ALL the ad libs made it to the air, as we can see in that Siamese Elephant clip.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Not to open a can of worms, but does anyone know why there is such a problem with the original 4 seasons of Burngood episodes ? Do they not know who legally owns them ? Or do the copyright holders not want them released or are asking for too much money for the rights ?

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I would like to see a packaged rrelease of all the 'Family' sketches from The Carol Burnett Show. Included in that package, I would like to see the inclusion of the special that was done with the Family characters. As I recall, in the sketch the character of Mama actually died. DIED!!!
BUt that would be one sweet, laugh filled package!!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
David Rain said:
Not to open a can of worms, but does anyone know why there is such a problem with the original 4 seasons of Burngood episodes ? Do they not know who legally owns them ? Or do the copyright holders not want them released or are asking for too much money for the rights ?
Did you read post #25? If not, go back to the first page of this thread and read that post.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/28224/any-news-on-a-carol-burnett-show-dvd/60#post_3918875
My absolute favorite "Family" sketch was when the group was cleaning out Mama's attic. Betty White's character is taking all of the good stuff and when Eunice complains, Mama tries to compensate with lesser stuff.

And, of course, that's the classic where we (and Eunice) found out what was for dinner the night Fluffy the rabbit "disappeared." ROTFL.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, Does anyone know if the Carol Burnett mega set is Time LIfe's BIG release of the year?
James

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
MP3 Daily Deal
[COLOR= rgb(255 said:
Eric posted in the wrong thread. He also put it were he wanted it to be in the first place: the bargain thread. No SPAM- CA[/COLOR]]

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Guys, Does anyone know if the Carol Burnett mega set is Time LIfe's BIG release of the year?
Don't know if this will be Time Life's BIG release of the year or not, but everytime there is an announcement about the CBS DVD's, they always seem to refer to Time Life as the same company who release the "Get Smart", "Six Million-Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" series. It's just an "assumption" on my part, but it sure sounds like the CBS DVD sets might be the BIG release for Time Life for 2012. :cool:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 /t/28224/any-news-on-a-carol-burnett-show-dvd/60#post_3919183
I would like to see a packaged rrelease of all the 'Family' sketches from The Carol Burnett Show. Included in that package, I would like to see the inclusion of the special that was done with the Family characters. As I recall, in the sketch the character of Mama actually died. DIED!!!
BUt that would be one sweet, laugh filled package!!

I loved loved loved the sketches within the show itself (they are all available on youtube, by the way and are still just as funny as they were all those Saturday nights ago when I was a little kid) but oh how I HATED that special when it aired!

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
NY2LA said:
It came out later that Vicki improvised that line, which is fairly rare, and that's why Carol almost lost it. Carol has said that she wanted to keep it together as much as possible, (Feeling responsible in her position as leader, setting the example, etc.) you can see she ALWAYS tried hard not to crack up, and she often succeeded, so I think they CARED if they lost it, and she was a little better or experienced at holding it together.
Remember the clip when Tim goes on and on about the Siamese elephants? Watch the others, Carol included, start to cover their faces and turn away, trying to hold it together, and what finally puts them on the floor (including Tim) was an explicit ad-lib from Vicky. - if they just LET each other crack them up it wouldn't be as much fun, you know? So I agree that was GOLD, but I think it was because these were topnotch comedy professionals trying to BE professional and NOT crack up, and think THAT's what made it so much fun when they did. I agree that they often decided to air the one that ended up the most fun, but not ALL the ad libs made it to the air, as we can see in that Siamese Elephant clip.
The Siamese elephant bit may be the funniest thing I've ever watched on television. Ever. The way it starts slow, and builds, and the desperation on the other cast members' faces as Conway just keeps riffing, and then the totally unexpected ad-lib payoff from Vicki Lawrence. I may have to go watch it again on YouTube right now.
I have fond memories of this series as well, and am looking forward to the releases. But as much as the comedy has been discussed, the music was also an essential part of the show, and Carol did wonderful duets with a wide array of musical guests, from Steve Lawrence to Karen Carpenter. Would love to see these scenes again.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by DaveHof /t/28224/any-news-on-a-carol-burnett-show-dvd/60#post_3920119
I have fond memories of this series as well, and am looking forward to the releases. But as much as the comedy has been discussed, the music was also an essential part of the show, and Carol did wonderful duets with a wide array of musical guests, from Steve Lawrence to Karen Carpenter. Would love to see these scenes again.

You're so right. Carol afforded us the only opportunity that I'm aware of to hear Rita Hayworth's actual singing voice. They're did "Mutual Admiration Society" on the show one night, and Rita had a pleasant voice despite her nerves at singing before an audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks