What's new

any news of an R1 release of BBC'S "The Office"? (1 Viewer)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I'm still hoping for an R1 of BBC's The Goodies (see sig). Just released this month on R2 so I'll keep hoping.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The Office is the best and funniest british comedy series since Fawlty Towers.

The Pal region 4 version is a 2 disc set and contains the first 5 episodes plus a marvelous Documentary and several outakes and easter eggs.

The 16x9 transfer is excellent.

Gareth: "I don't do sloppy seconds"

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I don't know if it's on R1 DVD any time soon, but it IS being shown on BBC America, I believe. :)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The Office is the best and funniest british comedy series since Fawlty Towers.
Too right. The humour comes not from direct gags but the cringeworthy familiarity and typical Englishness of it all. There's so much subtletly in this show - very, very clever writing and brilliant acting.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, I'd have trouble with calling it one of the great sitcoms (it's not as funny as I'm Alan Partridge, The Day Today, Brass Eye or the criminally underrated People Like Us), but it's a fine piece of comedy nonetheless.

Out of interest, how do the US TV broadcasts deal with the amount of strong language in each show (F-words and such)?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Out of interest, how do the US TV broadcasts deal with the amount of strong language in each show (F-words and such)?
I can't say for certain (having never seen the show), but, generally, BBC America includes the F-word in broadcasts of So Graham Norton so I don't see why The Office would be any different. I'm not really aware of any other not-for-pay cable stations here in the US that allow that strong of language.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
BBC America broadcasts So Graham Norton? That's interesting (it being a Channel Four show, a rival station to the BBC).

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Quote:"There's six episodes in the first series Doug"

Oops! How right you are Rob.

The region 4 disc does contain the first 6 episodes.

The second series is just as hilarious, so I can't wait to purchase that DVD also, when it becomes available.

I don't believe it's typically English alone, I think anybody, anywhere in the World who has had a boring, dead-end office job will relate to the characters and situations re-created in this incredible series.
I'm sure I've encoutered some of these people in real life.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
BBC America broadcasts So Graham Norton?
Well, my understanding of the situation is that BBC America is a joint venture between The Discovery Channel Networks (Discovery, The Learning Channel (TLC) and Animal Planet) and the BBC. So perhaps TDC licensed So Graham Norton from Channel 4? BBCA has shown a few things that they don't strictly own through the BBC, so I'm totally sure how they go about licensing things.

I'm thrilled to be able to see some of the best in British programming. :)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
There seems to be a fair amount of Channel 4 stuff, that
for BBC America is on BBC America. (How's that for
redundant?)

Even Norton does commercials where he says to review his
guests "at BBCAmerica.com" so....

And, yes, I have heard the f-word on BBC America on
several shows, including Mr Norton's.

Mark

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
How very interesting! Do they ever screen (some of my favourites) Bottom, People Like Us or I'm Alan Partridge? If not, request them - they're fabulous!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks