What's new

Any methods of getting random cats to come to you? (1 Viewer)

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Jay Heyl:

Ha, I know what you mean. I'm also allergic to cats and have had cats come right up to me at parties and sit next to me while rubbing themselves all over me. My friend's cat doesn't like me yet she'll come up to me and rub herself all over my jeans whenever she gets a chance. I think she knows I'm allergic (and I'm not entirely joking).

Scott: I do like cats despite my allergies. I can pet them for a while before my throat swells shut (heh). So in my old neighborhood, while walking around, if I saw a cat, I'd make clickey noises with my tongue. Basically I put my tongue on the roof of my mouth and snap it down. Cats love it. Sometimes I can get them to come up to me, sometimes not. Try different noises as other have suggested.

Jay your post also reminded me that women are simply talking cats, but that's a different discussion :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Stung, I say to Scott: Your love for cats is laudible and commendable, which makes you automatically "okay" in my book. The cats' human guardians might take some exception, though. You might want to entertain the notion of seeking employment similar to Rain's, or working in a vet's office (though seeing cats in pain might be emotionally taxing, as it certainly would be for me). JB

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
So your basically just chasing some strange pussy.........cat.

I'm sorry...it was just laying out there as obvious as a stubbed toe...I couldn't resist.;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Hmmmm. I've read how dogs can take on their owner's characteristics. Can a cat do the same? :D ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't "own" Attila, but he and I certainly have synchronized our lives. It's amazing how intertwined we are. The subtle nuances in his voice and how he communicates with me get his messages through my thick skull loud and clear. Amazing, the bond that develops between human and feline.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I left this for a while cause I couldnt handle (some) of you bashing me for liking cats. Now I see more of the understandables replied after I left the thread. Since then I have stopped doing this act. Mainly, because I knew the guys over at the HTF didnt like it. Geez. I still dont understand how some didnt get the fact that we were never forcing the felines to do anything. I myself hate it when people who have cats try to make them do something that they obviously dont want to do. And I love all cats and [rant]don't[/rant] want to see them tortured or pestered.

Ive been thinking about the allergy thing and I dont plan on giving out food to unknown cats, now.

I think I should be able to go over to my moms house whenever now that I have my license. I have three wonderful kitties over there who love my attention.

Kyle - The offer sounds fantastic and I would love to take ALL FIVE OF THEM! Unfortunatly, I still live with my dad and he hates pets of any sort. I would just keep em upstairs but that sure would be boring for the cat.

Thanks for the help.

Oh and BTW... yes, playing with a cat in the street for 15mins is more entertaining than going to the mall or movies. In this town anyway. Have you ever been to the mall here in Fresno? And going to the movies? Comeon, tell me something I didnt allready know! The cinemas here are horrendous. The prices are over $10 a ticket, the THX sound is leagues worse than my modest theater, and the food sucks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Scott, everybody in this thread loves cats. My goodness. I get made fun of here at at HTF and at other Internet boards for my feline fondnesses.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
It's okay if you love your cats. Just as long as you don't LOVE your cats....

;)

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's cool that you love cats! I don't have any specific methods for getting random cats to approach me, but I just wanted to say that it's OKAY for a guy to love cats!!!! They're my favorite animals and always will be. If someone thinks it's stupid for you to get excited when you see cats, that's their problem! I notice cats wherever I go too. I can't help it, I just love the little critters. It really bothers me when someone runs over a cat, or worse, I've had people tell me about how they shot a stray cat that was on their property. TO be perfectly honest, it bothers me more to see a cat suffer than a human, at least I'd rather see the person who shoots cats suffer more than I would the cat.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Scott,

try not to let the negative things said here discourage you. I do agree that driving around and stopping when you see a cat could lead to problems, so I wouldn't do that myself. I also agree that you should never give someone else's pet something to eat without their OK. I absolutely do not agree that there is something wrong with petting someone's cat. If a pet owner is that concerned about strangers petting their animals, they should never let them run loose. In fact, it's not a good idea to let pets run loose anyway and it is illegal many places. I know it is here.

As far as attracting the cat, I virtually never fail in getting a cat to come over and say "hello." I just kneel or sit down, hold out one hand and call quietly to the cat. I then rub my fingers together quickly, kind of like the motion people make to represent "money" or rub the first two fingers against each other quickly.

I expect there is no better way to scare off a cat than to yell to it, be excited or clap my hands together. If you were a cat, is that something that would make you want to get closer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks