Any methods of getting random cats to come to you?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Simonian, May 16, 2003.

1. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

First of all, I am a cat lover. I love cats. They are just so cool. My friends also like cats too. You know what I wont go any further.

Uh. Dont take this the wrong way but this is what Im trying to fiqure out.

When my friend and I are driving around we will see some cats (ussually outdoor kitties) are walking around. When we see them, we get very excited and always am like "KITTY!". Sometimes if we are close enough we will slowly pull over to the side and slowly get out of the car. By this time either the cat is already long gone or is looking at us and not moving. This is usually as far as we get.

We try nice sounds and kissy noises and light clapping of our hands or something. We will crouch down and do this too.

Now this is usually when they run off. We know if we try moving forward they will dart off. Just yesterday I tried this and I slowly moved up on a cat and it took off acrossed the street.

One time we saw a cat while chilling in a parking lot. We had to follow it a little bit cause initially it sort of ran off. But we talked with it a bit and it aprroched us. (Me and my friend) This was awesome. It was all rubbin up against us. Giving us the head push. Floppin over onto its side. Heh heh heh.

We ended up petting this cat in the middle of the street for about 10 - 15 minutes. It was the highlight of our weekend.

Anyway. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to approch these random cats? Any good device or something. I dont want to "lure" them. We just like to play with kitties the same way people do with dogs. But everyone is into dogs.

I would just carry a can of cat treats with me but I dont want to open on up for them and have them take off. Ugh.

2. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I'm a cat lover too Scott, but I don't know about the idea of giving a kitty a treat. Dogs will just take a treat and carry on... cats are more likely to follow you for another one, y'know?

Frankly, as a cat-owner, I think someone slipping my cat a munchie would freak me right out. (But my cats are all indoor-only cats, so it's a non-issue)

I'd just try and get their attention the way you have been..and leave it at that. If they come over to say "hi", great. If not, carry on. [​IMG]

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I'm no cat lover, so basically all cats love me. From my experience (and from what others have mentioned here on this very board) everything you are doing to try to get the cat to come to you, or at least stay still while you approach it, looks agressive to the cat. Think about what a cat does as it approaches its prey. It gets down low and slowly stalks it. That's what you're doing. Most cats will run away from this.

Since I don't really find cats appealing, but I've lived with 3 throughout my life, they seem to want to come up to me even though I'm trying to get them away from me. Our cat (that my wife wanted by the way) gets more friendly the more I try to push her away. If you ignore them, they will come.

4. Scott Simonian

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I am also a cat lover but no cat in the house due to the wife. When I come across a cat outside which is usually a neighbor's, I make a high pitched "psswwssswpwsss"..or something to that effect.I know they like that sound (even read about it) because they usually look toward ur direction and stop. When they see u, they would either stop on their tracks or if they fell like coming over they will. U must also realize that cats have quite a myopic eyesight. Distant objects r a blur that's why when u approach even ur cat from a distance without making a familiar sound for him, the cat will bolt. Up close, it can recognize very well so he or she will always curl up to u or shag u a bit, which is actually "marking" u as its territory and not telling u he or she is urs....more like the other way around.
    Try my "noises" and hold ur ground.At times, patience is the key. But also try to remember Garfield. He embodies catdom....if he feels like it, he'll take anything on. If not, he'll just open and close his eyes flirting and in his mind saying...."U want some pussy?.....work it baby work it!..." OK...maybe that didn't sound all that well.....

6. Scott Simonian

We know that they do not understand "kitty" but we just say that to anounce to one an other that we spotted a cat.

Im hoping my mom buys a new kitten. One of my two oldest died recently of old age. She was the first cat that I remember from childhood. I was about 4 or 5 when we got her. I think she was 14 or maybe 15 when she died. I should find that kitten picture I have and scan it.

Now that I know more about cats I can give them all the right attention from the beggining. Hell yeah, I want a new kitty. Well, when I move out on my own pretty soon Ill get my own kitty. But until then I should tell her to still get a new kitten to cheer up the other cats.

I hope she is interested.

7. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

Based on my experience, the best way to get a cat to come to you is to desire in the strongest way for the cat to keep the hell away from you. I'm very allergic to cats and don't care for them all that much even aside from the allergy. Somehow this attitude is like catnip to most cats. If I visit someone who has a cat, the room can be full of people actively trying to get the cat to come to them and the cat will come straight to the one person in the room who wants it to stay away -- me. Next time you see a stray cat, take some Actifed and do your best to ignore the cat. It'll probably come right over.

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Personally, if I saw a car pull over with 2 people getting out of it chasing my cat, I would be out there in a second asking what the hell they were doing. I would be careful where you do this, as some people might not like what your doing.

9. Scott Simonian

*sigh*

I dont see what is wrong with wanting to chill with a cool cat. Or being excited when you see one. I see people do worse than what I am doing with dogs and birds all the time. But I guess its okay cause they are not cats? Cats arent worthy of someone elses attention.

Maybe you just got to live here and go to my high school. I for one would love to just hang out with a cat following me insted of going to school. If they want the attention then why cant I show it?

10. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

11. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

12. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Well, I'm of the opinion that if the cats aren't yours, you shouldn't actively seek them out.

It's not just about cats, it's about all things that you do not own. Yes, I think it's a little freaky that you drive around looking for cats to call over. It would still be freaky if it were a child, a dog, a bird, a rattlesnake, whatever.

I realize you mean no harm but the owners don't know that. The cats don't know that. And anybody who happens to see you won't know that either.

I'd also be worried about approaching strange cats. You don't know what diseases they carry and the last thing you want to do is get bit by one.

Besides, if petting a strange cat for 10 min in the middle of the road was the highlight of your weekend, you really ought to find new hobbies.

13. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Wow. Yep, it's, oh, unusual, the idea of cruising the neighborhood to meet cats. Understandable maybe, but unusual.

Julie, you're always welcome here. But what brings you here at nearly 3 in the morning? Weird work hours? [​IMG]

15. Scott Simonian

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Scott,

I'd suggest you visit an animal shelter or a pet store, perhaps even volunteering at a shelter? If you really like cats, and want to be around and interact with them, this would be more constructive (and less apt to provoke misunderstanding) than approaching random cats on the street.

Cats are wonderful, aren't they? [​IMG]

17. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

I saw a documentary about cats that explained that one reason cats like people who dislike them is that these people narrow their eyes when looking at the cat. In "cat language", this is an invitation.

18. Rain

Rain Producer

I didn't read all the posts in the thread, but here's a few things in response to the initial one.

First off, please don't give out treats to cats you don't know. As you do not know their histories, they may very well be allergic to certain things or may have specific health issues. Never give any cat or dog anything to eat without checking with its' caregiver first.

As for getting a cat to approach you, this will be very hit and miss. All cats are different and some of them are shy or just don't care for a lot of interaction with people they do not know.

I suggest you might want to try taking a walk around the neighborhood, rather than driving. And do not approach the cats, just squat down and try to get them to come to you with an outstrecthed hand.

Of course this is probably not going to work 80-90% of the time, but these are cats we are talking about. They are independent minded creatures, they are going to do what they want.

I guess what I'm basically saying is that there is not much you can really do other than making some efforts to not spook or frighten them. It's pretty much up to the cats.

EDIT:

Ok, I did read a few of the responses, so I have more to add.

I don't think this is odd of freaky behaviour in the slightest. You obviously love cats and that's cool.

But a point was made that a caregiver of one of the cats could think you are trying to steal it. I can see how that could happen. But I think the chances of this would also be greatly reduced if you were walking rather than driving.

Also, this has nothing to do with ownership or who owns who. So long as the cat is not being forced or coerced into anything, where is the harm in some interaction?

One of my kitty compadres, Velcro, just loves meeting new people. If someone he has never met before comes over, that person's is the first lap he will sit in. During the course of the evening, he will make sure there is no lap he has not parked himself on for at least a little while. [​IMG]

Again, it boils down to this: Try to prevent spooking the cats (ie. don't do this while driving) and let it be up to the cats whether they want to approach or not.

And....

You really should adopt a kitty yourself ASAP. In fact, I strongly recommend getting two if at all possible. From what you have said, I think any cat would be very lucky to have you as a caregiver.

I'm currently working in a pet shop and have learned a ton about animal care and nutrition. If you (or anyone else) want to talk about it, send me an email or catch me on MSN (contact name is in my sig).

You'd be horrified at what some people are feeding cats, not knowing any better. I myself was feeding Velcro and Eddie a very recognizable and highly-regarded brand of food until I found out what kind of crap was really in it. I'm pleased to say they are now on a much healthier and more holistic diet.

19. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm