What's new

Any members from Alaska??? (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I just received a recruiting postcard from Anchorage, Alaska. I almost moved there once 15 yrs ago...but my friends talked me out of it.

I'd be interested in hearing about Alaska firsthand from someone who lives/or has visited Alaska. Besides the obvious COLD climate, what are the pros/cons?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jenna,

I'm pretty sure Janna, who lives in Alaska will give some input. Also, I think a couple of other members live there.

Crawdaddy

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Thanks. I sent her a private message since she's not accepting email @this time.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yah, I'd second Janna S, she's great and keeps me updated on the moose and snow sightings in Anchorage for me. I was up there last year in August and met Janna and we and some friends went out for some yummy ice cream at the Cold Water Creamery.... It is cold(er) than down here for most of the year but when it does get warm, it's about 10 times prettier than anyplace I've been down here. It's soooo nice out there that it kind of makes the cold a little easier to take. Of course, if you like winter, there's certainly alot of stuff to do up there. Having bought some Sherpa Climber snowshoes this year and only being able to use it twice was disappointing but hey, I bet you could use it to walk to the grocery store in Alaska on a daily basis in Winter... yippee!!!

And then there's MOOOoooseee!! and those cuddly wuddly grizzly bears and Elk and Northern Exposure.. and those Northern Lights...

Jay

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I was born and raised in Anchorage until we moved when I was 15.
Being a kid growing up there was great! No worries in the world, no worrying about driving around in the snow, keeping the house warm, paying bills, and keeping the pipes from freezing etc...all we worried about was who's mom would drop us off at the movies or the nearby mountain sledding hill, and who's mom picked up..;) Ahhh to be a kid again.
It was indeed beautiful, but being young, I didn't always appreciate the beauty as much as I do now looking back. We did have a cabin on Beaver Lake for those who are familiar with the place, and it was SO much fun jumping into the little boat in the summer to catch fish or laying on the dock catching minnows. Yeah you fought off TONS of misquitos, but a can of OFF usually made things tolerable. Winters on the lake was amazing as well, SOOOO peaceful. I have many great memories of sitting in a warm cabin watching the sun set, and getting up to sled or snowmobile on the lake.
Everything up there was so peaceful and friendly back in those days (60's-80's)but from what I hear, the town has "grown up" and is becoming very over run with industry and crowded streets. Back then me an my friends didn't think twice about walking to the grocery store for candy and walking to elementary school in 8 foot of snow...Sadly, I think those days are almost gone.
Even with all the changes and the not so small town feel it once had, I'd still love to go visit. (we still have friends that live there in the same houses I played in when I was little) but it is quite expensive to travel there. SPeaking of csts, have you researched the cost of housing, food, etc.?? It's outrageous now. I scanned the Anchoarge newspaper and was amazed at how pricey thing are. (You can go online and read their newspaper as well).
Oh yeah, only once or maybe twice in all my 15 years there, did I ever see a hint of the Northern Lights, not as common as many folks think if I'm not mistaken. One thing that was always exciting for me when I was really young, was sitting back in a huge pile of snow in the evening with friends, staring up at the crystal clear night sky counting stars and looking at the Big Dipper... However, I do remember watching a HUGE moose walk through our front yard and cul de sac..now that was SCARY yet exciting to see.
Oh well, that's just a small snapshot of what I grew up with, and like I said, I hope some day I can afford to take my wife and daughter there some day in the future.
Alfer

Janna S

Second Unit
Jenna - I got your PM and emailed you a few minutes ago. I don't know where the "not accepting messages" info came from. Heck, I'll talk with anyone about anything (unless you are on my "ignore" list!)

just joking - no one is on my ignore list . . .

And PS - I see the northern lights all the time here, even in the middle of downtown Anchorage. I have a fabulous picture of them taken above my cabin in Talkeetna - I think I posted it in a message here once.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Jenna,

Alaska is awesome! I have lived here for about 21 years, having previoulsy lived in LA and Hawai'i and can't think of many other place I'd rather be.

Sure, the winters can get long but they are what you make of them. If you get out and stay active, they can be great. Depending on where you live in Alaska, they really aren't all that cold either. I think many states in the midwest are worse, especially when you consider the wind. The interior can get VERY cold but Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, and Southeast are all quite livable. The winter before last, it never got below 0 degrees in Anchorage. =)

Summers are absolutely fantastic! Looong days, beautiful scenery, and so many things to do. Fishing, hiking, mountain biking, boating, rafting... The only bad thing about summer is the mosquitos. A can of bug spray keeps them away for the most part.

People up here tend to be very friendly. The pace of life is very laid back.

Another board member you might want to send an e-mail to is Jeremy Hegna. I believe he's a life long Alaskan but I don't think he makes it to these parts of the forum too often.

Janna,

What firm do you work for or are you in private practice? What type of law? Just curious, my brother-in-law is a partner with Hughes Thorsness.

Janna S

Second Unit
Alex: I have hardly ever practiced law the way most people think of it, and have never been in private practice. I currently do policy and program stuff for a state administrative agency. I'd tell you which one, but then I'd get hate mail from everyone here who once had a problem with the equivalent agency in their state!

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Ahhhh...then I won't ask. I was just wondering if you'd worked with or against him at all. It's fresh in my mind as I was dismissed from jury selection last week.
The plaintiff's attorney asked if I was for or against rewarding someone for "pain and suffering" and I told him within reason I agree with it. He asked about the McDonald's coffee case and I told him I thought the award was obscene. I don't think he cared for that too much. Anyhow, after he dismissed me he tried buttering me up by saying he's faced my brother-in-law and that he's too tough. My bro later said the guy is a major brown noser.
Sorry about ramble.
Glad to see another Alaskan on the forum.:)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Besides Moose and Grizzlies, is Alaska a homeland to lawyers? :D
Hi Janna and Alex, the Actual Alaskan Attorneys HTF club..
Jay

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I lived in Alaska for 4 years on a military base named "Ft. Greely." It was located not far from Fairbanks Alaska...probably about an hour or more away. My mother and I used to take the shuttle bus to get to Fairbanks because thats where all the shopping malls were as well as specialty stores.
I had a blast there! Alaska has to be the most beautiful state I have ever lived in and I would like to go back someday in the future to stay again.
When I first got there it was during the summer when the sun always stayed out, I was young so I had no idea it didn't get dark, my mother didn't know this either and allowed me to go outside on the base and "explore." She told me to come back when it got dark. I ended up at the next door neighbors house talking to her and her daughter until 2 am in the morning... My mother had the military police out looking for me as she was afraid some bear had eaten me. Needless to say...she never made the mistake again of letting me go outside until it "got dark." I loved the summers there and panning for gold was great too. We ate things like buffolo burgers and moose meat which was actually quite good. The winters though...were terrible. Even though they were beautiful. Ever throw a cup of hot coffee in the air and watch it crystalize before it hit the ground? :D Get a good parka and enjoy the land of the midnight sun. Alaska is where it's at, great state!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks