What's new

Any kind of solvent safe to use on DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Every now and again I get a used disc with specks of goop on it.

The goop seems to be water-resistant, so if I wet & wipe it just smears around.

Is there any kind of solvent that is safe to use on DVDs but strong enough to breakdown adhesives?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I use a small amount of rubbing alcohol, which also works great. I don't know if it has any damaging effects (I'm sure it would if I didn't wipe it off very quickly), but I haven't seen any yet.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Where the hell does this goopy snot come from? I've seen it countless times on the used disc's I've gotten, and I always have to wonder what type of savages are renting these.

Spit and a cotton shirt have worked for me. No lie, I've even gotten a new disc to work that jammed at the layer change by gobbing on it and rubbing it on my t-shirt. Must be magic spit.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

It looks like tiny gobs of packaging goop.

The stuff that's used to stick to things, but is designed to be removable.

Could also be some kind of lubrication thrown off by cheap DVD players.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... are these adult DVDs? ;)

(sorry, couldn't resist - I needed a humor break from all the drama in the discussions over the next DVD format) :b

I use Windex to wipe fingerprints off my discs and have never had any problems.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I sometimes use a small amount of liquid dish soap, and gently rinse it off with running water. Dawn seems to work it removes grease, like stubborn fingerprints.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I use hot tap water and a 100 percent cotton towel. Works great. I have been cleaning CDs, LDs and now DVDs that way for 20 years. No problems. I would NOT recommend alcohol on plastic as it breaks it down.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
My Dad said in the "old days" of LPs he would put his records in the dishwasher once in a while to clean them, and he said it worked great. Wonder if it would work with DVDs?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The detergents in dishwashers are pretty brutal; records didn't have a glue layer that was exposed to the washing.

"Universal" or "Museum" solvent works well on most things (spit. Don't laugh. Just be careful where you do it.) And second the nomination for a cotton tee-shirt.

I know that there are certain solvents that cause certain problems with certain plastics. Windex can cause browning, crazing, and general distruction of acrylics - but DVDs are polycarbonate.

Something else that might work is plex cleaner - "Brillianize" or something homonymic to that. If I recall, it also has a mild anti-static component.

Leo

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I've been using diluted windex since 1992 with my first LD's (read about it in Stereo Review I believe) and have never had a problem, they all look as clean (and clear) as the day I bought them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks