1. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I use windex diluted with distilled water, works great.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I use a small amount of rubbing alcohol, which also works great. I don't know if it has any damaging effects (I'm sure it would if I didn't wipe it off very quickly), but I haven't seen any yet.

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Where the hell does this goopy snot come from? I've seen it countless times on the used disc's I've gotten, and I always have to wonder what type of savages are renting these.

Spit and a cotton shirt have worked for me. No lie, I've even gotten a new disc to work that jammed at the layer change by gobbing on it and rubbing it on my t-shirt. Must be magic spit.

4. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Hmmm... are these adult DVDs? [​IMG]

(sorry, couldn't resist - I needed a humor break from all the drama in the discussions over the next DVD format) :b

I use Windex to wipe fingerprints off my discs and have never had any problems.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

How about a brillo pad?

6. Derek Estes

Derek Estes Stunt Coordinator

I sometimes use a small amount of liquid dish soap, and gently rinse it off with running water. Dawn seems to work it removes grease, like stubborn fingerprints.

7. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I use hot tap water and a 100 percent cotton towel. Works great. I have been cleaning CDs, LDs and now DVDs that way for 20 years. No problems. I would NOT recommend alcohol on plastic as it breaks it down.

8. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

My Dad said in the "old days" of LPs he would put his records in the dishwasher once in a while to clean them, and he said it worked great. Wonder if it would work with DVDs?

9. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

The detergents in dishwashers are pretty brutal; records didn't have a glue layer that was exposed to the washing.

"Universal" or "Museum" solvent works well on most things (spit. Don't laugh. Just be careful where you do it.) And second the nomination for a cotton tee-shirt.

I know that there are certain solvents that cause certain problems with certain plastics. Windex can cause browning, crazing, and general distruction of acrylics - but DVDs are polycarbonate.

Something else that might work is plex cleaner - "Brillianize" or something homonymic to that. If I recall, it also has a mild anti-static component.

Leo

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I've been using diluted windex since 1992 with my first LD's (read about it in Stereo Review I believe) and have never had a problem, they all look as clean (and clear) as the day I bought them.

11. Kevin L McCorry

Kevin L McCorry Second Unit

I use Windex as well (or a bargain brand variation), but I didn't think to dilute it.