What's new

any jazz lovers out there? (1 Viewer)

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
If you like guitar check out "Missouri Sky" by Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden. It's "roots jazz." It's a beautiful cd.
Another great guitarist is Leni Stern. She is Mike Stern's wife. Look for her cd Closer to the Light.
Also look into John Scofield's work. His last few have been nice. Quiet w/Metheny is cool. Also Agogo.
Leaving for Florida in the morning. When I get back I'll burn you some of my favorites. Let me know where I can send it.
Chris

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Update: today I picked up another Frisell album and am listening to it now. Good Dog, Happy Man. Very pretty, atmospheric, lyrical. Not as interesting as the Train CD, but no bad, nonetheless.
About Scofield, Stern, and Metheny, I'm generally a bit wary about the "fusion" guys. I love the idea of it, but a lot of bands screw it up. I just sold my Tony Williams CDs because I don't have the patience to wallow through the weird singing, 4 minute long introductions of silence, and plastic "funk" to get to the good stuff. The sad thing is that Williams was a genius, maybe he just took too much acid. I still love Return to Forever and Mahavishnu Orchestra, but I generally gave up on fusion.
However, maybe things are different nowadays than in the 70s and 80s. Maybe people have gotten smarter.
Chris, when you get back, let me know how best to send you my contact info. Thanks!

James RD

Supporting Actor
I'm glad you are enjoying Frissell, Mike. He is a prolific and experimental studio guy. His last release, "Blues Dream", was released in late Jan. Another, "Bill Frissell With Dave Holland", is due Oct.2. I don't know if anyone remembers, but years ago Gary Larson did a TV special -"Tales from the Far Side" - guess who did the music? It can be found on the CD "The Bill Frissell Quartet" from 1996.

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Back from sunny Florida. A much needed break! You can email my private address w/your info. And let me know what you'd like on the disc(s). Traditional, old fusion, neo-bop, etc.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks