What's new

any HTF'ers installed pergo? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Thinking about it and was wondering how you handled the trim work, I know they sell quarter round, but I'm not sure how to handle doorways, and around kitchen cabinets.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Hey Phillip,

I did my kitchen in Pergo. For the most part, I used the available Pergo brand trim (which is over-priced). For the door casings, I used some cheaper stuff I found at Home Depot - it matches and looks pretty good.

Coincidentally, I was just at HD today. While there, I looked at some non-Pergo quarter round that would match my maple trim perfectly (I did the kitchen last year, and there are still two trim pieces I still haven't gotten around to installing :b ).

I used the genuine Pergo stuff for the baseboards and adjacent quarter-rounds.

If you have any more questions, shout 'em out.

Good luck,

Jon

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I just bought regular wood trim from home depot (at about 10% of the cost)and used it with the laminate flooring. Looks great.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Got any pics Jon?

what I'm curious about is where the door trim meets the floor, did you cut the trim to match that moulding? or cut the bottom of the trim so the pergo slips underneath then only run the trim up to that vertical trim board? (if that makes no sense I'll take a pic)

Also, around my cabinets there's a bit of trim running vertically on the corners, I guess I could cut that so it sat on top of some quarter round, I'm really not sure.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
oh, and did you get yours from HD or lowes?
I notice the lowe's stuff (pergo brand) is about the same price, but comes with the backing stuff already attached. That's about as far as I've looked into it.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Don't have pics, sorry.

Install the door casing so that it goes all the way down to the floor, then butt the moulding up against it. As for the cabinets, it gets a bit tricky sometimes - there are corners where I have three hunks of moulding meeting. You just have to figure out which method looks the least noticeable (experiment with scraps).

My door casings were from HD, but all the Pergo stuff I got through a friend who has wholesale connections.

What finish are you using? Real wood might be your best bet.

Jon

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Trying to avoid real wood as I've got two dogs.

Can you elaborate on how you fit the trim around the door casing moulding?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Did you cut it at the floor level, or at the top of the quarter round?

also, did you guys pull the existing baseboard and put the floor down, or lay the floor down leaving the 1/4" or so gap required between the floor and baseboard? Maybe that's where I'm getting confused.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Every laminate flooring company sells trim pieces for doorways. Most people either use T-molding, or some straight edge/square nose molding. These are the two most popular transition pieces. If you're talking about a door to the outside, most people use the square nose. If you're talking about a transition piece to a carpet or tile, then it depends on how high the laminate is in reference to the other flooring. You could end up getting T-molding, square nose , or a reducer.

What backing stuff? They're supposed to come with a tracking, but as far as I know, all the stores sell them. Some of the laminate companies (pergo & mohawk) require the store to make them separate items to sell, while other laminate companies (shaw & quickstep) include the tracking with the price of the molding.

As far as the tracking is concerned, you would either nail that down, or glue it down, then the molding should just snap right in place.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Ok, here we are.

here's the door trim, now assuming we leave the baseboards in place, how do you deal with this door moulding circled? Do we remove the baseboards, then cut the bottom of the moulding so the floor fits under it, then just leave the baseboard off and use quarter round?

Same goes for the cabinet trim there, should I cut it even with the flooring and end the quarter round butted up to that trim, or cut the trim above the height of the quarter round so it sits on top of it?

Minor little things but they've got me baffled. Maybe if I saw some pergo already installed I could visualize it better.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
almost forgot, here's the sample of the lowe's stuff with the underlayment attached already.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
OK ONE MORE. Did you buy yours locally? or order it online form some magical super cheap pergo mecca?

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Home depot sells a video that walks you through all the details and clarifies a lot of the things that are confusing you. I would recommend that you get hold of it.

It really isn't that hard. I put down 400 square feet of flooring with lots of doors (15 of those bad boys) and corners (at least 15 corners) in one weekend. I did all the trim work the next weekend.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I saw the vid, it's only $7. Guess it sounds like a good investment then, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks