What's new

Any Hackers Out There? (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Im no hacker but i find PC security issues very interesting.
Steve Gibson runs a GREAT website about internet security.
Im not sure if this has been posted here before, but here is a lengthy, yet VERY interesting, page where he talks about him being attacked by a 13 yr old hacker and his quest to stop it.
His website also has great tools for checking your PC for vulnerabilities. im happy to say that my PC is virtually invisible to any hacks :)
http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
If you do read this, pls let me know what you think.

RobertWhitlow

Auditioning
Sorry, but "DOS" is in no way shape or form in the realm of "hacking". It requires no intelect what so ever. No knowledge. No discovery. Try reading Anti-Online, or bop over to the L0pht, or try CERT if you really have a thing for security issues.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
happy to say that my PC is virtually invisible to any hacks
By virtue that you viewed this webpage you've proven that to be incorrect. This page could have easily contained malicious code designed to exploit vulnerabilities in your web browser.. Like ones that allow code to be executed on your PC.. like to install a copy of back orifice or other remote control software.. just an example.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I knew some of you would say something like that, and thats not what i mean. Of course im viewing this page, duhhh.
Robert, i guess you didnt read the article. Since i dont know how to work in Dos and set up IRC Zombies, i guess i must reeeeaaaly be lacking in intelect.
PS-I think you need to re-read the definition of "Hacking" :)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Then again, you always could be running an alternative platform that minimizes your chances of ever being "hacked" or ever getting a virus....

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Since "Hacker" has been mutilated by the media to be synonymous (sp?) with "Cracker" I don't tend to call myself a "hacker", unless you use the classic definition of the term (hacker = clever programmer, as opposed to hacker = one who breaks security systems).
I do find computer security to be a fascinating subject which I try to keep current on. I run a Linux machine at home that acts as a firewall and I keep logs of all port scans, and sometimes I find interesting stuff in there. I also try to keep current with the virus/worm threat, and as a result, I have yet to be infected even though I've received numerous worms via email in the past year. Of course, Norton helps a lot there too. :)
While on this topic, does anyone know of a good website with information on port scans? I've been getting scanned on a lot of odd ports lately and end up going on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what the kiddies are probing for. I've looked at places like incidents.org and mynetwatchman.com but they have limited info. I was wondering if anyone knows of other sites where they track stuff like that.
KJP

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Kevin- http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
thats all list of ALL registered ports in case u werent aware of it. I know u are pretty much looking for the latest exploits tho, not the regged ones.
What ports u been getting hit on besides the typical 137, etc?
I have noticed a big increase in ftp probes lately, especially coming out of ASIA.
Pretty funy someone her things they are safe from being hacked :), especially because GRC.com says he is safe.
Gibon's port scans are EXTREMELY basic and probably the weakest of most security sites.
Want to learn about Security? go to SANS.ORG as they are the premiere place for learning about security.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Mikey - thanks for the link, though it's not what I was looking for. It doesn't list trojan ports (e.g. SubSeven). I have a pretty comprehensive list, but lately I'm seeing scans on ports that aren't on my list, and am having trouble finding info on the new ports.

The majority of scans I see are http (Nimda/Code Red), SQL Server(Spida/Digispid Worm), SubSeven, W2K File Sharing(445), ftp(21), Kuang2 the Virus(17300), ssh(22), messenger spam (135 UDP), and various proxy ports.

The scans I'm curious about though have been coming from ni-#-##.cytanet.com.cy (the #s are various numbers), 195.14.* IP addresses. These scans are unusual as they scan a relatively large number of ports in a single incident, unlike most that only scan 1 or 2 ports at a time. Ports scanned by these IPs include 81, 88, 800, 808, 880, 1180, 1182, 1183, 1212 (Kaos), 6079, 6588 (AnalogX), 7703, 8000 (WinAmp/Shoutcast/iRDMI), 8002 (Teradata), 8008, 8022, 8081 (tproxy), 8088, 8118, 8369, 8888, 9407, 9631, and 9715. Most of these ports are unknowns, and I don't see why one scanner would hit so many at one time, as it draws attention to anyone with a firewall that logs scans. I've received a number of these scans between 12/22 and 12/30 so far. Any ideas?

KJP

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I would guess that someone or someones over there ( u didnt give the full IP's, buty my guess is it is eastern europe or asia. Most likely someone just using a mass scanning program looking to see if u have anything open at all, be they common registered ports or whatever.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Henry, You are correct...If GRC says your machine is invisible it is invisible...It searches for the Active X scripts that are embedded on web pages. That code still needs a place to attach to. If all ports are closed, it's a safe bet that your computer is 98% safe against any attacks.
Robert, if you are talking about DOS as a system you are correct, However I would classify DOS (Denial Of Service)
Attacks as hacking. These are the same attacks that brought down nine of the thirteen servers for the Internet. If, that isn't hacking, I don't know what is...knock eleven of those bad boys out and bye bye Internet at least temporarily...
I hope to learn enough about security and networking to get a job in that field...preventing attacks or doing preventative attacks against cyberterrorists is something I would take great pleasure in.

Kevin, email me...I would like to see how you set up your linux machine as a fire wall. I am setting up a network at home and will be running linux on one of my machines...

dan

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I could take down all thirteen servers with a co-ordinated sledgehammer attack... but I wouldn't consider that 'hacking'.

A DOS attack requires some knowledge, some effort and a whole lot of time to setup. But you don't really need to know what you're doing to pull it off; you just need to be a big enough jerk to do it.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
"you just need to be a big enough jerk to do it."
I think that should be in Websters as part of the definition :)
I know Norton is probably the weakest software out there, hell software is pretty weak anyway.
I hope that with the little things that Norton does as well as my router, i can pretty much have a little security.
Anyway, the only real thing i worry about is a malfunction, etc. I a PC hobbyist and dont really work out of my home or anything. Hell, search my PC, bout all youll find is music :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks