What's new

Any good news on the DVD recorder front at CES (i.e., cheaper units)? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I very much like the idea of replacing my JVC HR-S4600U S-VHS with a DVD recorder this year or next if prices start to come down (hardware and software) and more players become available. Also, like many of you, I would like to see one recording format become the standard. Did the CES provide any useful insight as to where the DVD recorder market may be headed in 2002? Any signs of cheaper recorders forthcoming and/or one format taking the lead? I have no interest at this point in spending upwards of $1000 for the currently available Panasonic, Philips, or Pioneer Elite models. Thanks in advance.

GuyC

Auditioning
I think that the DVD recorder format is going to take quite a while before a standard emerges and prices drop. It took a long time before the VHS v. Beta format resolved itself, and there are three competing formats in the DVD recorder ranks (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, Philips-DVD+RW). Perhaps the manufacturers will learn from past mistakes, but who knows. These first generation players have quite a few "issues" to work on as well. I'll be waiting until at least the third generation recorders come out before I consider buying.

In the meantime, you might want to consider upgrading your S-VHS VCR to the JVC HR-S7800, which is on sale at Crutchfield for what I consider a great value at $199, plus free shipping for a limited time. I know some people have mentioned that the build quality is not as good as its predecessor, the 7600, but I don't think there are any current model VCRs being produced with build quality as a top priority.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I don't remember where I read it, but Panasonic and, I believe Pioneer, both plan on releasing sub-$1000 DVD recorders this year.

Still far from a consensus on formats though.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Guy and Johnny, thanks for the info. I agree with both of you regarding the "format war" and waiting awhile before jumping into the fire.

Johnny, thanks for the suggestion of the JVC 'S7800U S-VHS. I really should have gotten an 'S7600U back in February 2000 instead of the 'S4600U, but back then, I thought spending $285 for the latter model on sale was enough to spend on a VCR. All in all, I am happy with the 'S4600U for as little as I record programs, so I will stick with it. If I had a DVD recorder, I'm sure I would do more time-shift recording because of the novelty of recordable DVDs and the conveniences offered by DVDs. So, I'll wait for things to work themselves out with DVD recorders rather than upgrade my S-VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks