What's new

Any good holiday deals on season sets? (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Odd. I would've thought someone would be posting about holiday bargains at certain store chains and such. Anyone know of anything good? I picked up season 1 of both Lois & Clark and Raymond for $20 a piece at Walmart a couple weeks back. Seemed like a decent deal. I wonder if anyone will have clearance sales after xmas.

p.s. Why the hell are the Highlander sets still so bloody expensive!? I mean I've seen sets that were a little high in price, but those are insane! Sad too. It's one of my only favorites that actually has the complete series released.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I just found this out or I would have posted it sooner. www.deepdiscountdvd.com has BUY ONE GET ONE FREE DVD box sets. They have 150 to choose from and a very good variety espeially on sitcoms. I've picked up Jeffersons, Mad About You, Who's The Boss, Larry Sanders, Sanford & Son, Green Acres & Seinfeld. They also have dramatic series sets and a few movie box sets.

With my first order (of two that I placed) I got 8 box sets for a bit over $100. I think it averaged out to $14 a set - brand new. There was NO SHIPPING and NO TAX.

This expires on the 15th so I hope everyone reads this in time. Not sure how often they have sales like this. So what are ya'll waitin' for ?

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I received the notice about this via direct email from deepdiscount. I purchased 'Outer Limits' S1 and S2 for around $34. I've waited nearly 3 years to purchase these. I'm hoping that in the next year or two they'll do this again and include 'The Twilight Zone' Definitive Edition season sets.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Legendary Heros price is tempting, but, are they still notorious for conducting full scale marketing assaults (including monthly telephone harassment pitches) to their victims - er, customers?

In the expectation that they are still the leader in aggressiveness, I'd encourage people NOT to provide their cell phone number if they ask for your phone number. Indeed, pick the most obscure of all your phone numbers.

I am also concerned about whether they are selling the retail versions of these sets - the ones made by Anchor Bay - or if they are selling their own early versions.

Laura Nicholson

Stunt Coordinator

Is there a difference in content? I was thinking of picking up the last season of Highlander and all of Xena, but if there is a major content difference, I'll hold off.

John*D

Second Unit
Those are some great prices, except for season 1 of Hercules which can be found for about 1/2 a much elsewhere.

I definitely want to pick up the rest of HIGHLANDER, only have season 3, and I did buy the cardboard case from LEGENDARY HEROES which holds all the seasons last summer. Season 3 is feeling lonely. :b

I'd even pick up all the HERCULES and XENA sets too, as I use to watch those shows! Just can't right now, holidays.

p.s. - Legendary Heros has only called me once, and I told them to STOP! Nothing since...

-----------

The B1G1F sale at DDD also includes all 8 seasons of STARGATE SG-1. Which is an incredible deal if you don't have any of the seasons or not all of them.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Michael, great minds must think alike . . . at least when it comes to great classic television shows on DVD. I also picked up this combo and couldn't believe the great pricing for the complete series. I had a few of MGM's VHS tapes of "The Outer Limits" but was really happy to get these sets, especially when you consider that it works out to a little less than $5 for each DVD shipped, and with no sales tax. I think that "The Outer Limits" is often over-shadowed by "The Twilight Zone," but it's a fine series and, for classic TV fans, a no brainer at $34. And you may eventually see some of "The Twilight Zone" season sets come down in price at some point in the future. Earlier this year, Target had the old "Collection 1" for around $30 and I've seen the old "Collection 2" at a significant discount at Wal-Mart. Of course, these price cuts were in anticipation of the season sets releases but there's always the possibility that even these will be reduced in price in the future. "The X-Files" is another that's going through some more price reductions in the near future.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Bob,

Like you, I had several of the OL episodes on VHS--about a dozen or so of my favorites ('The Borderland', 'The Forms of Things Unknown', 'Demon With a Glass Hand', 'Corpus Earthling'). I held off until now because I knew the episodes inside out since it was often shown on some network during the '80's and '90s.

In part, I also held off purhasing OL due to people's gripes with the transfer and double sided discs (not to mention price--particularly where the 17 episode S2 was concerned). In the last couple of years, for TV on DVD, I focused instead on shows that I never got to see but knew instinctively I'd enjoy. Series like: "Danger Man", "Have Gun--Will Travel", "The Veil", "The Saint" and "Man in A Suitcase". I knew I'd pick up OL-63 at some point and am very happy with the 70 cents per episode value. I was watching "The Galaxy Being" and "The Architects of Fear" last night and the quality look quite good, actually! OL does indeed have it's own special look and feel owing the great talents of people like Gerd Oswald, Conrad Hall and Joseph Stefano.

StoshS

Agent
love that site ben going there for about 2 years now. one question, is it worth geting all the married with children dvds cause i heard about so changes. im going to get all the king of queens dvds though, but i wanna know is the married with children dvds are woth paying an extra 60 bucks for edited crap.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
They are -- in the Coupons and Bargains section, where this belongs (moved from HT Software - TV Shows).

M.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You guys gotta come over to Coupons and Bargains more often.

The DDD BoGo on box sets was announced HERE two weeks ago! Just think...you could have saved big money that much sooner! And, maybe spent that much more! :D

And to Joe (the OP): Check out the Weekly RoundUp posted in this forum each week and you'll be fairly fully informed about where all the deals are on any given week. Even if I don't have 'em in the first post, there's a huge support group here of bargain hunters who post each week and share the knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks