What's new

Any FullHD players or only upscaling? (1 Viewer)

Steve Jordi

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve JORDI
Hi,

I'm a bit confused now I think about getting an BluRay player...

Just got my new Panasonic FullHD plasma TV and was looking around to get a Blu-Ray player.

Most of the ones I see all speak about 1080p upscaling.

So I was wondering "Are Blu-Ray discs only 720 or are they FullHD in 1920x1080"?

Now, if Blu-Ray discs are FullHD, do I need a specific player that says "fullHD" or is an "upscaling" player able to take profit of native FullHD resolution?

Upscaling tells me it's a "loss of quality" since additional information can't be created from missing info.

Thanks for any light on this as I am not able to sort the information I find here and there.

Steve

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think pretty much all BluRay discs are 1080P. At least I've never heard of a 720P BR disc.

The reason BluRay players are up-scaling is their ability to take a standard 480P discs to "near HD quality".

Steve Jordi

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve JORDI
Ha ok then,

upscaling is for regular non HD discs in that case?

If this is right, I'll go ahead and buy my player.

Thanks for the help

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, up-scaling is for regular non-HD discs. BTW, your new Panasonic is only capable of displaying a 1080P signal so it will also up-convert any other signal you send it. How good the picture will look depends on how good the up-scaler is. Not all are created equal.

Get that BluRay player. The real 1080P picture is fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks