Any entry level 6.1 receivers at CES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I love my Kenwood, but it was always a "between" receiver until the price came down on the 6.1 or 7.1 receivers. Well, I have been a little disappointed in the electronics news from CES. Any good news for the future?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What do you consider a "lower price"? There are a few 6.1s on the market that don't cost that much. Sony has two, but I can't recommend them because I don't think their amps are up to the task. Marantz has the SR5200, and is not too expensive for what you get, but is certainly not in the $250 range.

3. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

4. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I would say that under $500 is what I am looking at. Thanks!

5. Ashok

Ashok Agent

The Yamaha RX-V730 with a retail of $599, RX-V630 at $499, and the Pioneer VSX-D811S at $475, all of which were mentioned in Richard's links will give you 6.1. There are a number of receivers that can do that for you already though. The Denon 2802 which can be found around $500 online comes to mind.

6. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

Kenwood has the new VR-6070 available this spring. It has DD Surround EX, DTS-ES, DPL2 and the new SRS Circle Surround 2, 8 channel preouts and will be THX Select.
    THX Front-Channel Re-Equalization, THX Adaptive Decorellation, THX Timbre-Matching, Full Digital Bass Management with Dual Precision THX Crossover and THX Bass Peak Level manager. The suggested retail is $600.

7. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

ALbert, where did you get that information from about the new Kenwood receiver? I would like to read more on it.

Charles

8. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

The info came from a magazine left by CES.