What's new

Any electronics that will survive an EMP blast? (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
AT&T used to have its own power system and everything, and I think the Long Lines were hardened in the late '50s or early '60s, but since the Bell Bustup that kind of thing has gone by the wayside. I doubt that your FiOS box is going to survive, not to speak of local exchanges and trunk offices. Fiber optics themselves are ipso facto immune, but the terminal equipment is not.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of EMP, when will a DVD of Wim Wender's "Until the End of the World" become available in the states?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about it too much. We will be hit by a meteor long before Iran has the bomb, according to the guest on last night's The Daily Show.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Nathan,

Steel gun vaults are popular here in Oklahoma. They would make a pretty good Faraday shield against EMP. You could stash backup communication devices in the vault as well as weapons to defend your family & home.

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator

If Iran could even get a warhead to our mainland you wouldn't have time to figure out what happened and turn on your radio before Iran was melted into a crater. The US would have nukes on the way long before theirs touched down. Why do you think no one has ever launched. Unless the warlord giving the order to launch was here in the US safe and sound far away from his own country they'd never do it.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Not beyond the bounds of possibility. It has been speculated that Osama Bin Laden [whom the Iranians would shoot on sight, but that's another story] is in LA — with the various immigrant communities [it's the second- or third-largest city in many foreign countries! :) ] and the movie/TV industries, nobody would give him a second look, plus there are plenty of health clubs where he could keep up that "I'm living in a cave" look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks