What's new

Any Date for Mulholland Drive? (1 Viewer)

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
There have been rumors for weeks that the Mulholland Drive DVD will street on 3/12. That seems unlikely now since we haven't heard anything more concrete. Many other films have been announced with street dates into April or even May. I think the studio wants to see what kind of Academy Award nominations MD receives. MD was a big critical success, but a box office flop. Then it won best picture from the NY Film Critics Society. More awards and nominations have followed, capped off by the recent announcement that David Lynch would head the jury at this years Cannes film festival. Hopefully we will hear something more concrete after the Academy nominations are announced and the box-office numbers for the re-release come in.

By the way, April 7th is a Sunday.

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
How do you figure MD was a box office flop? It's made about 6 mil in the US alone. Add in the UK and then video and it should more than make back it's 10 mil budget.

Then consider that about 6 mil of that budget was put up by ABC for the pilot. It was then bought (cheap I would imagine) by another studio who funded the additional footage.

Heck at it's height MD was only on 247 screens. It has done pretty well for a Lynch film.

When you consider that Lost Highway cost about 15 and made only 3.8 back that might be considered a bomb. Still Lynch doesn't make his flicks to try to take on Titanic.

This may turn out to be his most succesful film commercially.

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Roby,

I am a paying member at davidlynch.com and I own 4 different versions of Lost Highway on DVD. I thought Mulholland Drive was the best film of 2001 and my respect for the film has only grown since I saw it a second time. Hopefully I will get the chance to see it again during the re-release. I think it's safe to say I am a big fan of David Lynch's work. Lynch himself remarked that it was very strange to have critics love Mulholland Drive so much and yet it hasn't made a lot of money. Please don't massage my words into implying something I didn't mean. I will be ecstatic if Mulholland Drive and it's cast & crew are honored at the Oscars. Hopefully some high profile nominations will get people to give this film a second chance. I loved it and plan on seeing it at least a third time...

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Man, I hope MD doesn't get a release date even farther away than March 12! I want the DVD NOW! Its gonna be hell waiting so long. :frowning:

Jacob_St

Second Unit
This weeks Video Store magazine has a release date for Mullholland Drive. It's in March and I can't remember the exact date. They said the SRP will be 29.98.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's good. At least its still in March. I am sooooo anticipating the DVD release of this masterpiece, it is almost unbearable!

John W L

Agent
Yes, be sure to get the DVD -- but do whatever you can to see it at least once in a (decent) theater in the current re-release. Check Internet movie listing sites, if necessary. Not only has it gotten better with every viewing, the cinematography definitely deserves to be seen in a theater, the environment Lynch has said he makes his films for. (He's a bit dismissive of DVD screenings.) The textures -- of wallpaper, paint, terrycloth, skin, etc. -- are hypnotic and draw the viewer into the dream world. A stunning shot of Diane standing in her kitchen is a masterpiece. And the moonlit walk of the two gorgeous women in evening gowns you will not forget. I sincerely hope DVCC has nothing to do with the mastering and compression.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks