Any Date for Mulholland Drive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Anyone hear a release date for Mulholland Drive? Thanks.

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Haven't heard anything. I missed this in the theaters so I'm really looking forward to it! Anybody?

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

VideoETA says March 12, which seems about right. They usually get the early scoop and have been pretty accurate so far.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

This is the movie I want to see more than any other right now. It was playing by me for a whole week(Harry Potter is playing in 5 theaters,every 1/2 hour).

The sooner its on DVD the better.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've seen the film, and I am still anxiously awaiting it's release on DVD!

6. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Oh, don't wait for the DVD. If you have it near you, see it tonight. Hell, go line up now! [​IMG]
    Still, that's great to hear March is a tentative release date.
    Jason

7. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Encouraging to see some fans of this film on the HTF. Nobody I've spoken to so far, not even people I normally agree with, has enjoyed this film in the slightest.

On the other hand, I thought it was brilliant.

I know this belongs in the movies forum, so I'll be brief. I see Lynch's career as a film-by-film attempt to capture a mood and an aesthetic (and MH Drive is, IMO, his ultimate success).

Many are are offended that he's 'dragging out the same ideas' and that his 'women characters are boring' and all the same. At least, that's the consensus I get.

The prospect of a MH DVD release excites me. I can already envision the menu screens (picture the Memento menus).

Joseph

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Actually, Joseph, the response to MH seems to have been overwhelmingly (and surprisingly) positive - critics and audiences alike. The folk you've spoken to seem to be the exceptions.

Of course, MH will never be a mainstream hit like Harry Potter; it'll simply have to settle for being, by far, the better film.

9. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Brilliant, brilliant movie.

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Easily one of the best of the year. But in the preview screening I attended, there were walkouts and others who were very vocal in their dislike for it when the lights came on.

So far I'm only buying 4 2001 releases, this, Hedwig, Moulin Rouge, and A.I.

11. Patrick Larkin

Great to hear the March 12 ETA.
    I made SURE to see Mulholland Drive while in theaters. Lost Highway never even appeared in theaters here. (The city I live in has over 100,000 people - the general area 4 times that.) Mulholland Drive played for two weeks in one theater. A week longer than I expected. The first week I went it was sold out. The next weekend, I got there a little early and got tickets. As I was walking through the lobby, I heard a lady running to the ticket booth to inform the clerk that it was sold out again. Judging from this, MD was a mild success and was pulled too quickly to make room for the Harry Potters and Monsters Inc crowds. Shame.
    It was a great movie and I look forward to owning it.
    Silencio

12. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

Mulholland Drive is just awesome. I saw it 3 times, and next to Twin Peaks, of course, it is one of my favorites.

-J

13. Ali B

Ali B Second Unit

It doesn't open until January in the UK [​IMG]
    Bloody Harry Potter / LoTR!

14. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I've seen this one twice already. I hadn't seen any prior Lynch stuff and I absolutely loved this picture. It's destined to be in my top 3 of 2001. It's still around on one screen here and maybe I'll go catch it one more time before it's gone for good. I'm surprised it's still around.

As for the DVD. I can't wait

Mark

15. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Mulholland Drive got bumped from theaters near you because of Harry Potter? Really? It played at the arthouse here for a month and a half. Saw it twice but sure wouldn't mind seeing it again. (Alas, it has been shoved out, although by good films like Amelie and the new Coen Brothers' pic and the mediocre Sidewalks of New York.) I'd put it as the best of the year, although I liked Waking Life a lot.

I'm not going to expect much in the way of extras. Hopefully the framing is done properly (as a note was sent to projectionists that it should be framed lower than usual).

16. Patrick Larkin

MD played in my town at a 15 screen cineplex. I'm only guessing that Harry Potter et al. was the reason for it being moved early. It had two showtimes for the first week and then an 8:00 only showing the second week.
    Our one "Art House" does stage theater in the fall and reopens its film series with the Coen Bros film in December. No MD on the schedule. [​IMG]

17. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"as a note was sent to projectionists that it should be framed lower than usual"
    Interesting, since I noticed some real tight framing througout on the three times I saw the film (which were all 1.85:1 correct). One of the early scenes with Robert Forster was really taking off the top of his head.
    As for the DVD, don't expect a feature-loaded disc, but the transfer should be terrific and at Lynch's intended framing.
    Man, can you tell by my sig file that I'm a fan of this film? [​IMG]

18. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Jason,
    I don't expect a feature loaded disc in fact I'd be happy with the movie in simple anamorphic widescreen with a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. It's a Universal Focus release so we may even get DTS but I wouldn't count on much more. I believe Lynch will let this one speak for itself as he seems very hesistant to explain anything about it in the media.
    I've loved it too. I had heard a lot about it and having never seen a Lynch movie I had no idea what to expect other then it wasn't going to be 'mainstream'. I remember the Friday it came out I overslept and missed the matinee and that setup one of my worst days in recent memory as nothing was going right that day. The oversleeping set things in motion for the whole day. I did get to see it the next day and I was just blown away. I knew about 5 minutes in that it would be on my top 10 list of 2001. Infact it's currently near the top. Since it's still playing here I'm going to try and squeeze it in again before next week as I'm sure it'll be gone then.
    As for the sig Jason. I love it.. and as for Naomi well she made the Babe of the Week over at my website [​IMG]

19. Ali B

Ali B Second Unit

Mark - it didn't get put back at my local cinema, it got put back by the distributors across the whole coubtry. With the exception of Waking Life and the Blue Velvet reissue, there is nothing coming out of note between now and the new year. All the film companies have run scared!

ali

20. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

Joseph Young! WHAT?? I simply cannot imagine not liking this movie. I like a lot of movies and I understand that there is personal taste, but WHAT???

This is one of my favorite movies EVER!!

I cannot wait for the DVD, would love to see some sort of extra documentary from Mr Lynch, but if not, gimme the movie now!!