What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any chance for a Where The Buffalo Roam (anchor bay) re-release? (1 Viewer)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I was informed today that the current DVD release doesn't contain the songs from Dylan and Hendrix (even though the back cover incorrectly mentions those tracks as being in the film) that the original film did. Anyone know if there are plans for a re-release?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I'm hoping Criterion will release this. They did a great job on the Fear and Loathing disc and I'm sure they could do some fanstasic extra's for this. I'd love to hear what Hunter has to say about this. A Murray commentry (though very unlikely) would be great too. They could also have a documentary on how Murray became Hunter and had a hard time dropping it and of course restore the original soundtrack.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm a great HST fan and Neil Young and Bob Dylan fan - and Bill Murray, too - and not to sound like a hypocritical snob, but I don't think that this film is worthy of the Criterion Collection (although I think the same of Naked Lunch: great book, but a disappointing, flat filmization).

I own the Anchor Bay version. To be honest, I'm just glad that this oddity is on DVD at all.

A joint Hunter Thompsonm, Bill Murray commentary would be beyond the Beyond, of course - a real Event of the Season, if ever there was one.

Personally, I'd rather see a Criterion double-bill SE of Somerset Maugham's, The Razor's Edge with the original 20th Century Fox, 1946 Edmund Goulding/Tyrone Power version and the 1984 Columbia version with Murray. The current Columbia disc has a mediocre transfer and the original 1946 Fox version is nowhere in sight. And there is plenty of Maugham materials in the various vaults in the US and Europe.

That's my tuppence, anyhow.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I agree that the film itself isn't Criterion worthy but the extras they could include could overshadow that. It doesn't matter to me if Criterion were to do an S.E. or Anchor Bay or whoever but since Criterion has worked with Hunter in the past and the Fear and Loathing disc has gotten really good reviews I thought they would be most likely to do it and do it right.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
If any film were deserving of Anchor Bay's "Divimax" treatment it is Where The Buffalo Roam. C'mon guys!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I can not judge if this film is CC worthy or not.
For all films, would benifit from a CC quality release.
However, I will judge that this film IS worthy of a anamorphic transfer!
Would love a higher quality transfer of Razor's Egde as well. IMnotsoHO, BM's best movie.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Ed,
The current Anchor Bay DVD is anamorphically enhanced.

Ric,
The rights have returned to Universal. They have been slowly re-releasing some of their AB-lisensed titles (and MANY of their Image/Goodtimes titles) so it's reasonable to assume this title will come back into print eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks