What's new

Any advantages of upconverting dvd signal ? (1 Viewer)

RichAS

Auditioning
Ok here is my 2nd question in this forum.

If I connect my DVD player to the back of my Sat receiver which is DVI connected to my TV - the manual says the sat receiver will upconvert the signal from DVD but that does not mean the picture will be upconverted.

So what do you get by upconverting DVD component signal to DVI if you don't get a better picture?

What if I were upconverting the signal from a composite video source to DVI signal strength - what would I see noticeable?

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
I believe all you would be getting is easy of connectivity. Alot of receivers will "upconvert" to svideo or component, but the signal will be the same quality. You can't, as far as I know, improve the signal by just changing the transport. The only thing that might happen is that if you were going from, for example, svideo to component for a longer run to your display, the heavier conductor might exhibit less loss, and the shielding might reduce the interference. So you might see an improvement in that respect, but this doesn't really have anything to do with the source.

There are a few dvd players that will upconvert the signal to near HD quality, as well as external processors and a well set-up HTPC, but these use complex resizing algorythms to more accurately redraw the picture at a larger size, which is typically matched to the native resolution of your display if digital, or to the magical sweet spot if CR.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think tony's right. unless your sat box *specifically* upconverts the picture quality (from 480p to 720p/1080i), then you're not going to gain anything.

RichAS

Auditioning
Thanks guys. I had a feeling thats what you were going to say becuase its what I thought also - but just wanted another opinion to confirm. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks